The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putting another rumour to bed, breach of contract, and how it pertains to Eriksson.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

2 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Also pretty dumb to mention three things that have been discussed ad nauseam and known to not be useful re. this contract..

Anyone can be traded. We just might not like what it takes.

If Benning figures he can replace Erikssons production and fill his roster spot with a player making less than a mil, waiving and demoting him is a distinct possibility. Maybe that greases the wheels for a trade.

His contract is buyout proof for all intents and purposes but it is still an option if nothing else works. Not that they would do it but maybe another team would for the right price. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

No, i want him gone as much as anyone. But the pure fantasy of terminating his contract over a phone call is both tragic and stupid.

Agreed.  Loui will get the message the team is sending him to Utica.  At that point it will be Loui’s choice to retire before the news comes out (and save face) or accept the demotion to the AHL.  The only way to unilaterally terminate Loui’s contract is if he gets sent to Utica and refuses to report.  I don’t see things getting to that point. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

People so desperate to get rid of Eriksson they are trying to BS a breach of contract on him.

If the Canucks even tried that it would bury them with agents and players. There are other mechanisms for underperforming players. Trades, waivers, buyout. Trying to terminate based on him not picking up the phone is one of the dumbest things i have read on cdc and thats saying something. 

This whole fiasco shows Eriksson’s leadership and team qualities..  

His game for the past 3 seasons speaks for itself.

If he is so good defensively, he should be communicating to Benning.. should have before the Swedish article came out.

He knows what he said.

We don’t NEED him, he can be replaced, he contributes nothing, but lately , bad press.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

This whole fiasco shows Eriksson’s leadership and team qualities..  

His game for the past 3 seasons speaks for itself.

If he is so good defensively, he should be communicating to Benning.. should have before the Swedish article came out.

He knows what he said.

We don’t NEED him, he can be replaced, he contributes nothing, but lately , bad press.

Which may all be true but none of it constitues a breach of his contract.

Just now, Silver Ghost said:

I’m sure it’s being looked into.

If I was Aquallini, I would be..

so your saying it’s ok for Eriksson to sow the seeds of discontent in a Franchise publicly?

That not how the hockey buissiness works.

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

But it does all add up to a player getting sent, deservedly so, to the minors.  If Loui then refuses to report, the Canucks can terminate his contract.  Agree?  

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

so your saying it’s ok for Eriksson to sow the seeds of discontent in a Franchise publicly?

Lol he didnt. He simply gave his honest if frustrated answer to a question. 

There is zero chance the Canucks are trying to terminate his contract based on this. 

You are right about one thing, this is definitely not how hockey business works. 

Edited by Silver Ghost

Just now, Alflives said:

But it does all add up to a player getting sent, deservedly so, to the minors.  If Loui then refuses to report, the Canucks can terminate his contract.  Agree?  

That is a whole different scenario though thanterminating him for not returning a phone call in the summer. 

Just now, SilentSam said:

Unfortunately SS Loser Loui can say crap like he has, and he still gets paid.  The end game is his arse rides buses in the AHL, or he retires.  I bet he retires. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Silver Ghost said:

That is a whole different scenario though thanterminating him for not returning a phone call in the summer. 

Which is where this is all heading.  Loui will hear he’s getting waived for purposes of being sent to Utica before it happens.  He can then de ice if he wants to retire, or play in the AHL.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which is where this is all heading.  Loui will hear he’s getting waived for purposes of being sent to Utica before it happens.  He can then de ice if he wants to retire, or play in the AHL.  

Maybe. But that has nothing to do with the ridiculous scenario i was responding to.

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Maybe. But that has nothing to do with the ridiculous scenario i was responding to.

I agree with you about that.  I’m pointing out where I think this whole Loui thing is heading. 

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I am not sure if you know the concept of hockey or not. Just like basketball you need to play both defense and offense. Just because you are gifted at offense it does not give you a pass on not playing defense. The Sedins made up for a lot of this because, in their hayday, they possessed the puck for the majority of their shifts and did not need to play too much defense. This became a big deficiency in their latter years as their bodies slowed down due to age and they could not defend when needed. This also hindered them in the playoffs as they were affected by tighter checking.

Players such as Petey shows that they are willing to do anything to win the game which includes playing defense to the best of their ability. The same could not be said for Goldobin, unfortunately. Petey is doing this before he has even grown into a Man's body. That shows a lot of guts and determination, something you want in a player going after a Cup. 

Peter Forsberg showed this same type of play and he has 2 Stanley Cups to prove this type of play is successful. The same for N. Lidstrom.

Players today need to be swiss army knives in that they need to have several attributes to be successful. There are very few "Goons" left and with teams rolling 4 lines nowadays, you need to be fast, be offensive, be defensive and be able to take hits as well as dish them out. If you can't do these things then you will leave your team with a deficiency they will have to make up somewhere else. Sadly, this is where Loui is leaving this team in which their hands are tied due to his contract.

If I were Green I would have told Petey to not hit so much the first two years. While letting Petey get a few pounds muscles more.

Then I think it's great if he walks in the footsteps of Peter Forsberg.

• Wat 1

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What is so wrong in playing in AHL?

He get paid there also and he will probably have more fun.