The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putting another rumour to bed, breach of contract, and how it pertains to Eriksson.

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

17 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

The rumour that Eriksson didn't answer Bennings call is complete bs.

1) if their was an issue with Eriksson and the Canucks organization Benning would Call Eriksson's agent

2) if Benning did call Eriksson directly, Eriksson is not required to pick up or talk to Benning. What would happen is Eriksson would call his agent and ask his agent to call Benning, Eriksson could ask his agent to inform Benning tha He ( Eriksson would like all matters to go through his agent). If Benning kept calling Eriksson after Benning has been informed of this Benning could be under the breach of contract

3) the conclusion therefore, is the person who started this rumour was just trying to stir the pot and make headlines. Anyone understanding contract procedure would not breach a contract, therefore Benning as GM and president of an NHL club with a legal department would understand contract procedure.

I have a different a set of assumptions and conclusion.

I don't see Benning wanting to have any additional negative press regarding this issue than might already be out there, therefore, he would have wanted to handle this situation in a most professional manner.

It seems to me that if Benning wanted to speak (directly) to Eriksson, then Benning would have (probably) gone through Ericksson's agent. This assumes that Benning and the agent had discussions between themselves, and that it was agreed that bringing Ericksson into the discussion would be advantageous. The agent, assuming s/he is a good agent, would not want their client to speak to management without representation being available.  This suggests to me that at the very least, a conference call situation would have been arranged. If Ericksson failed to be part of an arranged call between himself, his agent and Benning, then this would be a serious "screw you" moment in Eriksson's relationship with both of the other parties (unless there was a very good and excusable reason). 

If this were the case, then not only should Eriksson be looking for a new team, but he also might be looking for a new agent... or it's all bull$&!#e and nobody ever called anyone on this issue.

regards,  G.

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Agree totally... What I don't like is fans that spread hate that cause hate beside the forum. The hate creeps into every corner of the net and into the schools where children should have a nice and friendly environment. 

As I understand it players earn their final year/years of a contract. Take Luongo as one example. You got a lot of different reasons why a player don't match the fans expectations but match the managements expectations. Cap space etc...  And how do you force an aging player to produce when the body is falling apart? 

It's never the players fault what happens. The managent hires a player and then the coach provide environment/support/motivation/demand and so on... And when it doesn''t work anymore. Management find another player. 

But let the management do the talking and support your players instead. 

The players need their fans behind them. And if Loui play one season more, do you really think the team benefits from fans booing and torch a shirt with his name and number on? 

The whole team feel  bad when something like that happens because they know they could be the next target of the hating fans. 

Regarding Loui, why do you think he is a floater? 

Other fans think he's doing a good job at the level Green plays him. 

Don't let either interviews or Louis 6 millions disturb your thoughts. 

I agree about the hate not going beyond the forum....I would never buy his jersey so don't have to worry about me burning it.

friendly environment? Well there's a reason why players and everyone says it's harder to play in Canada. Green has tried to work with Loui but why give a guy like him a spot by bo or Petey?  Like I said he hasn't earned it and Jeff o'neal said no couch benches you for playing to good...hard working players get rewarded...plain and simple. 

So the players are accountable...it's their job to play the game and give it their best but he hasn't. 

It would be different if Loui has put atleast put up one good season but he hasn't..I would have his back but he hasn't. Jake put up more points with a center like Sutter so you can put up points playing a shut down role. 

Why I call him a floater cause I lost track of the games I watched where it looks like he didn't care....fans just want to see him working hard and getting in there. I rather have Ladd cause he gives it his all and works hard and Loui doesn't. 

I think part of the problem is the west is harder for players like him...even look at Lucic his numbers went down since coming to the west also.....it's rougher and tougher in the west. 

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

While the idea is good for the clubs, I don't think the players union would ever agree to such performance related contracts... There is no guarantees in sports. 

But could imagine them saying good, but then if a player produces over X points, he should be allowed to renegotiate his contract, as he is not paid, what he could get on the open market...

Well most contracts have bonuses already, so players already get paid if they produce more points or if they reach a set number of points..... I do see there's problems with constructing a contract like that.. Say take Loui contract, has three years to produce atleast 35 points and is guaranteed half his salary or agreed apon amount/ depends how the contract is structured....if doesn't reach 35 points in those three years the GM can terminate his contract and there be a clause where injuries and team role are taken into account.....it would protect the owners/GMs and also make the NHL more competitive.....

• Upvote 1

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Well most contracts have bonuses already, so players already get paid if they produce more points or if they reach a set number of points..... I do see there's problems with constructing a contract like that.. Say take Loui contract, has three years to produce atleast 35 points and is guaranteed half his salary or agreed apon amount/ depends how the contract is structured....if doesn't reach 35 points in those three years the GM can terminate his contract and there be a clause where injuries and team role are taken into account.....it would protect the owners/GMs and also make the NHL more competitive.....

I understand what the advantages would be for the owners, but for the players its a huge gamble. 

Lack of form and they could lose their income... I don’t think they would accept that risk. 

If anything, maybe the team should be able buy out the contract without it going against the cap. But not sure how to work around it. 

But interesting thoughts nevertheless. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, spook007 said:

I understand what the advantages would be for the owners, but for the players its a huge gamble. 

Lack of form and they could lose their income... I don’t think they would accept that risk. 

If anything, maybe the team should be able buy out the contract without it going against the cap. But not sure how to work around it. 

But interesting thoughts nevertheless. 

Each team got a couple compliance buyouts after the last CBA was ratified.  I think too many bottom feeder teams would not sign off on giving one per team per year.  Rich teams would trade for a poor team’s buy out guy, and take picks as compensation.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Agree totally... What I don't like is fans that spread hate that cause hate beside the forum. The hate creeps into every corner of the net and into the schools where children should have a nice and friendly environment. 

As I understand it players earn their final year/years of a contract. Take Luongo as one example. You got a lot of different reasons why a player don't match the fans expectations but match the managements expectations. Cap space etc...  And how do you force an aging player to produce when the body is falling apart? 

It's never the players fault what happens. The managent hires a player and then the coach provide environment/support/motivation/demand and so on... And when it doesn''t work anymore. Management find another player. 

But let the management do the talking and support your players instead. 

The players need their fans behind them. And if Loui play one season more, do you really think the team benefits from fans booing and torch a shirt with his name and number on? 

The whole team feel  bad when something like that happens because they know they could be the next target of the hating fans. 

Regarding Loui, why do you think he is a floater? 

Other fans think he's doing a good job at the level Green plays him. 

Don't let either interviews or Louis 6 millions disturb your thoughts. 

He had 3 hits last season. IN 81 GAMES. No effing fan thinks he's doing ANY job.

What a defensive animal.

Pettersson had 42.

I don't hate him, i don't like his attitude as a player or his pre-retirement recreational hockey mentality.

Im not one of those fans, I am a big advocate of Benning and all of his moves and love the Myers and Benn deals and at the time, people were bidding for Eriksson at FA. Not his fault, no one saw this coming.

references:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/petteel01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/erikslo01.html

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Each team got a couple compliance buyouts after the last CBA was ratified.  I think too many bottom feeder teams would not sign off on giving one per team per year.  Rich teams would trade for a poor team’s buy out guy, and take picks as compensation.  

If the teams could buy out any contracts that didn’t live up to agreed performances, there wouldn’t be any trades needed from the rich teams, where as the poor teams wouldn’t be able to afford to just buy out the contracts. Thus I think it would make the difference between rich and poor greater. Something the league is trying to avoid. 

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If the teams could buy out any contracts that didn’t live up to agreed performances, there wouldn’t be any trades needed from the rich teams, where as the poor teams wouldn’t be able to afford to just buy out the contracts. Thus I think it would make the difference between rich and poor greater. Something the league is trying to avoid. 

100% agree.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

He had 3 hits last season. IN 81 GAMES. No effing fan thinks he's doing ANY job.

What a defensive animal.

Pettersson had 42.

I don't hate him, i don't like his attitude as a player or his pre-retirement recreational hockey mentality.

Im not one of those fans, I am a big advocate of Benning and all of his moves and love the Myers and Benn deals and at the time, people were bidding for Eriksson at FA. Not his fault, no one saw this coming.

references:

I don't think a player should get to retire and still get his full salary unless it's injury related and even then there should be a insurance clause of some sort... same reason our government shouldn't give golden handshakes... 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

What a defensive animal.

Pettersson had 42.

references:

Those 42 hits didn't make Petey a better hockeyplayer... It made him worse.

Let goons be goons and let hockeyplayers play hockey.

Regarding Benning, I donvt have a problem with him if he learns to tackle the media.

• Wat 3

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Regarding Benning, I donvt have a problem with him if he learns to tackle the media.

Made petey play worse??!! You kidding me! He showed fire and push back something you want from your future star player unless you want to go back to gentleman hockey and not win jack....

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I’ll just leave this here.

Pathetic. EFFING PATHETIC. 

30 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Made petey play worse??!! You kidding me! He showed fire and push back something you want from your future star player unless you want to go back to gentleman hockey and not win jack....

This guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I think he might be confused, it’s late. 

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

How did he play hockey better? He hit people when he should outplay/-smart them.