The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NJ - Van (Proposal)

I had suggested this in an earlier thread, but would rather have CDC roast me, as my tan is starting to fade...….please be my guest! :emot-parrot:

Trade Proposal

New Jersey...…….trades

Cory Schneider + a 2020 2nd

Vancouver ……….trades

Markstrom + Eriksson

My thought process is as follows, we get rid of  approx. $9,666,000 of contract this year, and which will probably closer to $10.5 to 11M next year

for $6,000,000 (Schneider)...……….that is the economics of it...………...clears up ay cap issue immediately....Cost wise this helps NJ, as Eriksson's salary is mostly paid, and 

they get Marky at good cap numbers for the first year......probably decent numbers for his next contract.

As for moving Markstrom for Schneider...………..their over all stats were similar last year, with a slight edge going to Markstrom. This however does not

show the whole story, as Schneider's stats were actually worse earlier on in the year, and improved closer to years end. IMO, Schneider is more in line with what we need,

as he is older and will be some what safe from the expansion draft because of his salary and age, and has the potential to continue his rebound. I am sure Ian Clarkson could

make subtle changes to Cory's game that would improve his numbers.

For NJ, it gives them a goalie for the now, with Blackwood being able to slowly gain games over the next few years. A more perfect balance for NJ.

Eriksson gives them a  strong defensive forward, with potential to score 30 to 40 points. Eriksson's success has all come in the east, and I am sure he accepts the deal.

Why the second? First of all, it will probably be a mid to early/late 2nd, and is given for the compensation for 2 NHL ready players (Marky and Eriksson), which are upgrades

to Schneider ( I believe Marky would start and Eriksson would be a great supporting player for their young prospects) as he is in Vancouver (Go ahead argue this one!)

All in all, I see this as a win both for the Canucks and NJ

• Upvote 1

I worry a bit about the Canucks goaltending this year, as it is. This is the year they're going for it (playoffs) and they'll need solid goaltending. Can Schneider come back and keep them in every game like Markstrom did last year?

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I had suggested this in an earlier thread, but would rather have CDC roast me, as my tan is starting to fade...….please be my guest! :emot-parrot:

Trade Proposal

New Jersey...…….trades

Cory Schneider + a 2020 2nd

Vancouver ……….trades

Markstrom + Eriksson

My thought process is as follows, we get rid of  approx. $9,666,000 of contract this year, and which will probably closer to $10.5 to 11M next year

for $6,000,000 (Schneider)...……….that is the economics of it...………...clears up ay cap issue immediately....Cost wise this helps NJ, as Eriksson's salary is mostly paid, and 

they get Marky at good cap numbers for the first year......probably decent numbers for his next contract.

As for moving Markstrom for Schneider...………..their over all stats were similar last year, with a slight edge going to Markstrom. This however does not

show the whole story, as Schneider's stats were actually worse earlier on in the year, and improved closer to years end. IMO, Schneider is more in line with what we need,

as he is older and will be some what safe from the expansion draft because of his salary and age, and has the potential to continue his rebound. I am sure Ian Clarkson could

make subtle changes to Cory's game that would improve his numbers.

For NJ, it gives them a goalie for the now, with Blackwood being able to slowly gain games over the next few years. A more perfect balance for NJ.

Eriksson gives them a  strong defensive forward, with potential to score 30 to 40 points. Eriksson's success has all come in the east, and I am sure he accepts the deal.

Why the second? First of all, it will probably be a mid to early/late 2nd, and is given for the compensation for 2 NHL ready players (Marky and Eriksson), which are upgrades

to Schneider ( I believe Marky would start and Eriksson would be a great supporting player for their young prospects) as he is in Vancouver (Go ahead argue this one!)

All in all, I see this as a win both for the Canucks and NJ

if demko  had more seasoning ,as a goalie  I would consider that kinda of trade  , but since he doesn't  no ,and as much as that would work in getting rid of loui   you   gotta keep marky  , the defense has improved so in turn the goaltending should be better , lets be fair to the team and coach green lets see what the team does this year ,  I just don't think schnedier is a number 1 anymore   its just too risky of deal  at this time 

20 minutes ago, the grinder said:

if demko  had more seasoning ,as a goalie  I would consider that kinda of trade  , but since he doesn't  no ,and as much as that would work in getting rid of loui   you   gotta keep marky  , the defense has improved so in turn the goaltending should be better , lets be fair to the team and coach green lets see what the team does this year ,  I just don't think schnedier is a number 1 anymore   its just too risky of deal  at this time 

Well, I sure hope for NJ sake that he is, as Blackwood only has 1 year and 23 games under his belt.

I think people see Schneider as regressing....I do not think so

His numbers fell back when NJ fell back, and if you see that NJ has added this year, then you should understand that NJ fall back was not necessarily based on Schneider's regression. Schneider's and Markstrom's numbers are just not far apart, and that is with Schneider  having a bad year, and Markstrom having a good year, if either Schneider

improves his numbers (plays better) or Marky falls back, then Schneider is the better goalie, and that is more likely than Markstrom remaining good. The fact from what I read which was that Schneider's numbers improved at years end, after a rocky start after returning from injury.

Personally, IMO...…..Schneider is the better goalie now. And as for the players wanting to win with Marky...……………….since when should that be a factor...……..that, for lack of a better argument, is exactly the same thinking that we used to use, that got us to this place, in the first place...…….

this is a win by many ways....deletion, addition, cap space, and acquiring assets...…...

Markstrom is UFA in one year - doubt he'd want to sign a 2-year deal with NJD to share the net with Blackwood.  He'll likely be looking for a longer term deal where he can be the starter.  NJD need a veteran goalie for the next 2-3 years to bridge to their upcoming goalie prospects and Schneider fits their timeline.

With this trade NJD would have to find another veteran goalie in a year all that while having 6M tied in Eriksson who they don't need.  It puts them in a cap crunch when they'll be trying to sign Hall, Hischier, Vatanen etc.  

50 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I sure hope for NJ sake that he is, as Blackwood only has 1 year and 23 games under his belt.

I think people see Schneider as regressing....I do not think so

His numbers fell back when NJ fell back, and if you see that NJ has added this year, then you should understand that NJ fall back was not necessarily based on Schneider's regression. Schneider's and Markstrom's numbers are just not far apart, and that is with Schneider  having a bad year, and Markstrom having a good year, if either Schneider

improves his numbers (plays better) or Marky falls back, then Schneider is the better goalie, and that is more likely than Markstrom remaining good. The fact from what I read which was that Schneider's numbers improved at years end, after a rocky start after returning from injury.

Personally, IMO...…..Schneider is the better goalie now. And as for the players wanting to win with Marky...……………….since when should that be a factor...……..that, for lack of a better argument, is exactly the same thinking that we used to use, that got us to this place, in the first place...…….

this is a win by many ways....deletion, addition, cap space, and acquiring assets...…...

yep marky had a better year with a similar team as nj  , where as scheinder had a worse year with a team similar as Vancouver ,, what makes Schneider the better goalie  ? it certainly isn't c.s, stats   

c.s                                                                                                     marky

games         w        L          g.aa           s pct                                                 games         W      L          gaa          spct

16         58              27     25           2.15          .924                                                     33            13     14         2.70        .915

17         59              20    27           2.82          .908                                                      26            10      11        2.63         .916

18        40               17   16           2.93           .907                                                      60            23      26        2.71         .917

19       26                6     13           3.06            .903                                                     60            28       23       2.71          .917

stats  would say marky has been the better goalie  while cs has been trending downwards  , like ive said if demko  was more proven    sure do it but demko isn't  and c.s   isn't worth doing the deal . , you don't go out get all those free agents , and then get rid of your starting goalie , if goaltending was the problem , would you not fix that first?  you  can get rid of loui some other way  

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Eriksson's success has all come in the east

Loui played 7 years in Dallas where he has 357 points in 501 games. He's only played 6 more seasons after that and 3 of those were here in Vancouver. So he's played 3 seasons out of 13 in the East and they weren't his best years either.

I don't think NJ has their 2020 2nd (not their 2021 2nd in case you're thinking of moving to that one and no 2020 3rd either).

If we are talking trade with NJ though. I think Tanev would be a nice fit there playing alongside Butcher. They have Subban, Severson and Connor Carrick on the right side, so Tanev would shore that up. Of course this move would be to open up the possibility of adding someone like Ristolainen in a subsequent deal. NJ does look like they could use some bottom 6 veteran depth, but I'm not sure if Eriksson is the answer for them (although would be nice if they are interested).

52 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Loui played 7 years in Dallas where he has 357 points in 501 games. He's only played 6 more seasons after that and 3 of those were here in Vancouver. So he's played 3 seasons out of 13 in the East and they weren't his best years either.

I don't think NJ has their 2020 2nd (not their 2021 2nd in case you're thinking of moving to that one and no 2020 3rd either).

If we are talking trade with NJ though. I think Tanev would be a nice fit there playing alongside Butcher. They have Subban, Severson and Connor Carrick on the right side, so Tanev would shore that up. Of course this move would be to open up the possibility of adding someone like Ristolainen in a subsequent deal. NJ does look like they could use some bottom 6 veteran depth, but I'm not sure if Eriksson is the answer for them (although would be nice if they are interested).

Vatanen has always played on the right side for them - he is a right shot. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Vatanen has always played on the right side for them - he is a right shot. 

I had an inkling that was the case, but he was listed as a LD, so thought I had it wrong.

Seems like a logjam then with Subban, Vatanen and Severson on the right side then (Vatanen and Severson were their high minute guys last season). Greene, Butcher, Mueller on the left side is less impressive. They lost Lovejoy who was key on the PK for them, so have to wonder who will take on those minutes for them defensively.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I had an inkling that was the case, but he was listed as a LD, so thought I had it wrong.

Seems like a logjam then with Subban, Vatanen and Severson on the right side then (Vatanen and Severson were their high minute guys last season). Greene, Butcher, Mueller on the left side is less impressive. They lost Lovejoy who was key on the PK for them, so have to wonder who will take on those minutes for them defensively.

Subban plays on the PK.  He wasn't healthy this year so his PK ice time is misleading.  

If Vatanen can indeed play the left side he might be switched at times to the left - they don't have a big minute guy on the left with Greene slowing down and Butcher not ready (don't think he's top-pairing material either).   

On the left side they will also give Ty Smith the opportunity to make the team.