The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Gaudette playing alongside Baertschi was one of the top three things that excited me most about the pre-season.  

Canucks management and coaching are choosing to build the third line around Sutter, not Gaudette. 

Which has failed again and again.

Seems to me Iike this management has a hard time moving on from mistakes. They seem determined to make Sutter, Eriksson, and Schaller work on this roster.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Levio brings and element that this team already has a lot of. 

Pearson, Leivo, Miller, Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Schaller, Motte all fit into the hard working, 200ft game, will your way to score types, all with varying levels of offence and defence. 

Virtanen, Ferklund are the energy guys with heavy shots.

Boeser is your trigger shot sniper

None of them are pure skill guys that you would want to have the puck on the half wall of a power play. 

Jim is banking on relying on hard work to outscore the opponents and while hard work is an important trait, hockey sense is needed with balance.  It's a risk that JB is taking but if this team struggles to score this season, that is on JB's decisions to waive the only other two forwards who bring pure skill to the roster outside of EP.  We will see if is works out.

I don't disagree with that, however Leivo is more likely to be claimed than Baertschi, Baertschi gets injured again and we have one less legit NHL player to call up. 

It's a gamble either way but I think Leivo is a better fit. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't disagree with that, however Leivo is more likely to be claimed than Baertschi, Baertschi gets injured again and we have one less legit NHL player to call up. 

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baerstchi/Pearson Horvat Miller

Pearson/Baertschi Sutter Gaudette

Leivo Beagle Virtanen

Schaller/Motte

Its not even about Baertschi vs Leivo. both could have comfortably fit on the roster and given us lots of different options.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baerstchi/Pearson Horvat Miller

Pearson/Baertschi Sutter Gaudette

Leivo Beagle Virtanen

Schaller/Motte

Its not even about Baertschi vs Leivo. both could have comfortably fit on the roster and given us lots of different options.

Eriksson being waived was never a viable option so your lineup doesn't work. If waiving Gagner at 3.9 was barely passable waiving Eriksson at 6 is a non starter. And again you're ignoring the 200ft element that other players bring that Baertschi isn't as good at. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Maybe so, but I'm certainly not sold on Leivo enough to risk losing Baertschi.  It's only been a short sample size but it's hard to see him being any more than the next Leispic or Granlund,  The league is really filled with his types, in the last 3 years we've picked up a handful of similar types.  We will really see how it works out.

But in the end I can't imaging the FA being very happy, last year waiving Gagner JB said was a tough call he had to make, now having Sven's 3.36 in the minors and LE's 6 mill in the press box.  We're watching over FA pay over 12 million this year on dead space.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson being waived was never a viable option so your lineup doesn't work. If waiving Gagner at 3.9 was barely passable waiving Eriksson at 6 is a non starter. And again you're ignoring the 200ft element that other players bring that Baertschi isn't as good at. 

Why can’t Eriksson be waived? If ownership cares about winning they would allow it.

Baertschi is a fine 200ft player he’s hardly a liability. Not that Eriksson is even that good anyways. 

Either way not every player on the roster has to be a great two way player. There’s room for one dimensional guys. Every team has them.

Sven whining about not getting top 6 minutes...  was never going to help team unity.

Club has improved and now there is no spot for Sven in the top 6. This shows the club getting better.

We need more size and grit in our top 6. Guys that play the hard areas.

Sven is no longer needed on PP2.  Can't PK.      Possible long term injuries are catching up to him.  

Made sense to move him out now.   Hockey is the ultimate team game and no point keeping a guy not happy with his role or unwilling / unable  to adapt his game

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Maybe so, but I'm certainly not sold on Leivo enough to risk losing Baertschi.  It's only been a short sample size but it's hard to see him being any more than the next Leispic or Granlund,  The league is really filled with his types, in the last 3 years we've picked up a handful of similar types.  We will really see how it works out.

But in the end I can't imaging the FA being very happy, last year waiving Gagner JB said was a tough call he had to make, now having Sven's 3.36 in the minors and LE's 6 mill in the press box.  We're watching over FA pay over 12 million this year on dead space.

Ideally a move involving Eriksson and keeping both Leivo and Baertschi is best, but at $6mil per and average at best offensive play put us in between a rock and a hard place.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why can’t Eriksson be waived? If ownership cares about winning they would allow it.

Baertschi is a fine 200ft player he’s hardly a liability. Not that Eriksson is even that good anyways. 

Either way not every player on the roster has to be a great two way player. There’s room for one dimensional guys. Every team has them.

Eriksson plays on the PK, was healthy and scored 29 points. Obviously moving Eriksson would be best but that is not realistic at this point nor is waiving him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson plays on the PK, was healthy and scored 29 points. Obviously moving Eriksson would be best but that is not realistic at this point nor is waiving him. 

Anyone can play on the P.K., it’s not like we don’t have options there. Our P.K. sucks anyways so who cares if we dumped him?

Waiving him would have been that ultimate gesture to show that ownership and management is committed to winning. Now it just looks like they’d rather keep playing a 6 million dollar plug to save face.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 4

Just now, DeNiro said:

Anyone can play on the P.K., it’s not like we don’t have options there. Our P.K. sucks anyways so who cares if we dumped him?

Waiving him would have been that ultimate gesture to show that ownership and management is committed to winning. Now it just looks like they’d rather keep paying a 6 million dollar plug to save face.

Wow, lost any credibility with that comment. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Looking back at the Sven for Shinky trade.....

Looks like Calgary may win this one after all if  Rasmus andersen... pans out as expected and continues improving.

Andersen was a good pick credit to the Flames on that one. We won the Shinkaruk trade, we got a few serviceable years of Granlund and they got a career AHLer. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Andersen was a good pick credit to the Flames on that one. We won the Shinkaruk trade, we got a few serviceable years of Granlund and they got a career AHLer. 

Oops my bad yah it was granny for shinky..

Baertchi for Rasmus....

Yah, i guess we won the Shinky trade and the Lames won the Sven trade...

1 and 1. 

• Cheers 1