The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The team scored one more goal last year than they did the final year of the Sedins.  I'd say that factually qualifies as having fully "made up the Sedins' points" fretting that had so many wringing their hands, parroted in the usual-suspect media.

who amoung us is it you see parroting the suspected media

and which media are being parroted? 

I hear this complaint a lot, but cannot make the connection

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe, but even if he only plays the 25 or so games he played last year, which I feel is highly unlikely, we'd still have Levio to slot into the position anyways. And if he does play something closer to a full season and produces at the rate we know he can, this team is much deeper offensively. 

With his size and versatility Leivo gets claimed on waivers before Baertschi honestly. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

The team scored one more goal last year than they did the final year of the Sedins.  I'd say that factually qualifies as having fully "made up the Sedins' points" fretting that had so many wringing their hands, parroted in the usual-suspect media.

League scoring went up last year. Relative to the league they didn't improve at all.

In back half of the season not having secondary scoring or a good pp still cost us further playoff contention. That's what the Sedins had brought their last year. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

With his size and versatility Leivo gets claimed on waivers before Baertschi honestly. 

Contract size may prove you right there as well. That said, I feel Leivo's game is a lot easier to replace than Baer's. I feel we could call someone up that could fill Leivo's role pretty admirably. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yawn.

This thread is sucking. 

to be expected. there will be haters- guess that is where I fall...then the Pro-believers that think LE and Schaller are legit top 12 F on an NHL roster...who can make an impact or help us, yet neither have done that in their 1-3 years with the Canucks

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Sven 18 hits in 26gp

LE 3hits in 81gp

I also think Sven could be used in a pk role, which would suit a 3rd liner role and could jump up into the top 6 or onto 1 of the 2 pp units if they are slumping. LE can't do that and make a Positive impact

The comparison was between Ferlund and Baert. LE and Baert were vying for different positions so different discussion. You are right LE is soft but he has other attributes which the team deems useful. LE is walking a fine line as well he is just a little higher in the pecking order at this point. These team is getting stronger and has more depth, be happy.::D

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I agree, he also makes half as much, doesn't have the concussion history or the extra year at double the salary.

• Cheers 4

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Contract size may prove you right there as well. That said, I feel Leivo's game is a lot easier to replace than Baer's. I feel we could call someone up that could fill Leivo's role pretty admirably. 

But again why do that when Leivo is the better fit in the first place? Don't get me wrong I like Baer but we have just simply run out of room for him. Leivo is a better fit in the third line and our top 6 is full. 

But again why do that when Leivo is the better fit in the first place? Don't get me wrong I like Baer but we have just simply run out of room for him. Leivo is a better fit in the third line and our top 6 is full. 

I don't think Levio is a better fit. I feel having an offensively dynamic 3rd line suits our team much better than having a standard 2 scoring/2 checking line setup, which I think can be countered pretty easily. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

So play Baer in our bottom six.  Baer is a far better player than both 

Schaller and Loui.  We need to score more goals.  Heck we need to control the puck more, so ?Tanev and ?Edler don’t get injured blocking shots.  Baer is skilled, and we need that.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm so tired of watching Eriksson play.

You know what he'll bring, and its not much. 

Agreed, had 3 disappointing years in  a row, rather have given the benefit of the doubt to Sven and sent LE to rot in the AHL with his Millions

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think Levio is a better fit. I feel having an offensively dynamic 3rd line suits our team much better than having a standard 2 scoring/2 checking line setup, which I think can be countered pretty easily. 

Guys, no matter which line, should be able to score.  Baer would do really well in our bottom six.  Plus, ?Baer is a better player than ?Schaller, Loui, and Motte.  He’d be a better penalty killer than those three too.  

Just now, Alflives said:

So play Baer in our bottom six.  Baer is a far better player than both 

Schaller and Loui.  We need to score more goals.  Heck we need to control the puck more, so ?Tanev and ?Edler don’t get injured blocking shots.  Baer is skilled, and we need that.  

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

How is a smaller, softer, oft injured player a better fit? Leivo can block shots, is defensively responsible and out produced Baertschi’s actual production. And Alf the top 6 is full so Leivo/Baertschi will be playing on the third line, where Leivo objectively speaking is the better fit. Period. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed, had 3 disappointing years in  a row, rather have given the benefit of the doubt to Sven and sent LE to rot in the AHL with his Millions

IMO Loui would retire before that.  Loui and his agent called Aquilini’s bluff.  Or they knew that Aquilini wouldn’t allow JB to send Loui to the minors.  

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The comparison was between Ferlund and Baert. LE and Baert were vying for different positions so different discussion. You are right LE is soft but he has other attributes which the team deems useful. LE is walking a fine line as well he is just a little higher in the pecking order at this point. These team is getting stronger and has more depth, be happy.::D

Since when did Eriksson become an ideal bottom 6 player? Since he couldn’t play up to his contract?

Baertschi and Eriksson are basically in the same boat. Both need good offensive players to play with to produce. Eriksson will do nothing on the third and fourth line, we’ve seen it.

The only edge for Loui is that he plays on the pk. Him playing there proves that pretty much any player can play pk. It’s not like he’s a fast skater or wins puck battles. He simply clears the puck when he gets the chance. Is that really worth a roster spot?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

How is a smaller, softer, oft injured player a better fit? Leivo can block shots, is defensively responsible and out produced Baertschi’s actual production. And Alf the top 6 is full so Leivo/Baertschi will be playing on the third line, where Leivo objectively speaking is the better fit. Period. 

Keep Leivo and Baer; cut Loui. 

• Upvote 1