The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Again,some good points.

The article jumped out to me because, again, due to the uncertainty of the industry... I can understand the feeling of some young adults. As the years go by, the 'sunset' of the oil industry must be getting closer. Why would young intelligent people chase those careers? The whole world seems to be turning away from it, with all this climate talk and regulations etc...

Taking a job in Alberta oil industry now... is like applying at the local VCR factory  in the year 2000.      

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Taking a job in Alberta oil industry now... is like applying at the local VCR factory  in the year 2000.      

Renewable energy sources like solar and wind will increase their share of global power generation from 7 percent to roughly 25 percent by 2040-60...and perhaps up to 40% by 2120.    Unless those young snowflakes you are talking to (graduating engineers) are planning for a career of more than 40 years, interesting decisions they are making.    

Oh, and every Tesla out there in your Kingdom of Surry requires an equivalent of carbon far beyond what your masses have been led to believe by their King.   Forget the electricity needed to charge the car; that still comes from carbon around the world and will do long after your King's reign will have ended.    As far as other aspects, it gets a bit trickier but beyond the very carbon fibre shell (do some research on what CARBON fibre is made of and how oil intensive the process is....you will clearly be surprised).   

Electric cars need to be light, which means they include a lot of high-performing metals that have to come from somewhere - and therefore, you got it, they are mined.   Guess how mining happens in most of the world.   

If these snowflakes in your kingdom really wanted to help, they would continue on making the Canadian oil and gas industry (already the cleanest in the world) even better and raise the bar for what that still needed by society industry looks like for their generation and those that follow versus putting their heads in the sand like their King has.

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Renewable energy sources like solar and wind will increase their share of global power generation from 7 percent to roughly 25 percent by 2040-60...and perhaps up to 40% by 2120.    Unless those young snowflakes you are talking to (graduating engineers) are planning for a career of more than 40 years, interesting decisions they are making.    

Oh, and every Tesla out there in your Kingdom of Surry requires an equivalent of carbon far beyond what your masses have been led to believe by their King.   Forget the electricity needed to charge the car; that still comes from carbon around the world and will do long after your King's reign will have ended.    As far as other aspects, it gets a bit trickier but beyond the very carbon fibre shell (do some research on what CARBON fibre is made of and how oil intensive the process is....you will clearly be surprised).   

Electric cars need to be light, which means they include a lot of high-performing metals that have to come from somewhere - and therefore, you got it, they are mined.   Guess how mining happens in most of the world.   

If these snowflakes in your kingdom really wanted to help, they would continue on making the Canadian oil and gas industry (already the cleanest in the world) even better and raise the bar for what that still needed by society industry looks like for their generation and those that follow versus putting their heads in the sand like their King has.

Thats all great but more and more young people want to feel like they are making a positive contribution to our planet...

Sorry but Oil and Gas is a no go for more and more young people....   Maybe you are one with your head in the sand... or maybe it was too many pucks to your facemask....  I get it... i played rec hockey for 30 years and my head hurts.. but probably due to the constant dressing room beer.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats all great but more and more young people want to feel like they are making a positive contribution to our planet...

Sorry but Oil and Gas is a no go for more and more young people....   Maybe you are one with your head in the sand... or maybe it was too many pucks to your facemask....  I get it... i played rec hockey for 30 years and my head hurts.. but probably due to the constant dressing room beer.....

Can't argue with dressing room beer......

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Can't argue with dressing room beer......

I was at a meeting one time.. LInden was speaking.

Linden went on about his early years in the league.... drinkin in the room after games...    To the end of his career... and after games gatorade and/or guys hitting the bikes...

Early years guys played poker when on the road....  End of  career  the kids all were into video games....  LOL

Talked about how the game changed... Good speaker.

Edited by kingofsurrey

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I was at a meeting one time.. LInden was speaking.

Linden went on about his early years in the league.... drinkin in the room after games...    To the end of his career... and after games gatorade and/or guys hitting the bikes...

Early years guys played poker when on the road....  End of year the kids all were into video games....  LOL

Talked about how the game changed... Good speaker.

I went through a similar time period and can say the "traditions" of which he speaks lasted longer in Europe.    Curfews a little less rigorously policed too.   KHL is supposed to be a pretty decent party for those who want that.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I went through a similar time period and can say the "traditions" of which he speaks lasted longer in Europe.    Curfews a little less rigorously policed too.   KHL is supposed to be a pretty decent party for those who want that.

I know a guy ( played some rec hockey with him ) that played NHL . - olympics for CDN  and finished up DEL and SEL .......   

Man that sounds like the full hockey experience......

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Again,some good points.

The article jumped out to me because, again, due to the uncertainty of the industry... I can understand the feeling of some young adults. As the years go by, the 'sunset' of the oil industry must be getting closer. Why would young intelligent people chase those careers? The whole world seems to be turning away from it, with all this climate talk and regulations etc...

I think you’re thinking into too much. It’s not like kids were thinking about there careers and were like,  “hmm I can go to school for 8 years and can become a doctor, or go work on the rigs”.

And we’re talking kids, the same kids that think an arts major will provide them with a future income. On the whole (my anecdotal evidence) I do see let people involve in the industry but that’s simply due to a lower number of available jobs and has nothing to due with climate change. People in Alberta laugh at the idea that a tax will solve global CO2 emissions, heck we’re surprised there isn’t a tax purposes to stop the spread of the coronavirus. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I was talking with a few Engineering grads a few months ago....

They all told me that they did not want to work in the CDN Weapons industry or in CDN Oil in gas industry....... 

I wouldn't put too much stock into recent grads workplace wishes.

When reality sets in (bills to pay, mouths to feed, mortgage, etc), a good paying job (wherever) would be most sought after.  However, it seems millennials are more focused on living life and not having children.  With that attitude and less responsibilities, then they may very well choose an occupation that aligns with their current outlook.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think you’re thinking into too much. It’s not like kids were thinking about there careers and were like,  “hmm I can go to school for 8 years and can become a doctor, or go work on the rigs”.

And we’re talking kids, the same kids that think an arts major will provide them with a future income. On the whole (my anecdotal evidence) I do see let people involve in the industry but that’s simply due to a lower number of available jobs and has nothing to due with climate change. People in Alberta laugh at the idea that a tax will solve global CO2 emissions, heck we’re surprised there isn’t a tax purposes to stop the spread of the coronavirus. 

Like anything, put a price on it and people will try to use it less or avoid it.

Much like the $0.05 plastic bags at grocery stores.  Some people pay for the bags (myself included sometimes) but most people bring in their own cloth bags.  So a Carbon Tax will make people change their current habits. 

For industry, that's to become Carbon Neutral like Maple Leaf Foods.  Maple Leaf Foods announced on November 7, 2019 that we have become the first major food company in the world to be carbon neutral. We have become carbon neutral by aggressively reducing our greenhouse gas emissions and investing in high-impact environmental projects to neutralize our remaining and currently unavoidable emissions.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I literally never leave Chestermere you kids like far too much noise for me.

Roads aren't safe to drive nights around chestermere.....

Nov 30, 2018 - The Chestermere man shot and killed after an altercation in his home is being remembered by family as “a man who lived life to the fullest” who will be “forever loved and never forgotten.” Police are looking for leads in a fatal shooting of Dennis Lewis, a father of six killed ...

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Roads aren't safe to drive nights around chestermere.....

Nov 30, 2018 - The Chestermere man shot and killed after an altercation in his home is being remembered by family as “a man who lived life to the fullest” who will be “forever loved and never forgotten.” Police are looking for leads in a fatal shooting of Dennis Lewis, a father of six killed ...

Yeah I guess we get the odd one whereas in Surrey these kind of things happen every single night

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah I guess we get the odd one whereas in Surrey these kind of things happen every single night

The odd one ... haha.. yah right....  More you have the odd one.. then the even one... then the odd one again.... and so on.....

Jun 7, 2016 - Alleged Chestermere-based suppliers arrested, cocaine and marijuana also seized ... The bust was part of a joint investigation by ALERT and Lloydminster RCMP. (CBC) ... Officers peg the value of the drugs at $50,000.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

The odd one ... haha.. yah right....  More you have the odd one.. then the even one... then the odd one again.... and so on.....

Jun 7, 2016 - Alleged Chestermere-based suppliers arrested, cocaine and marijuana also seized ... The bust was part of a joint investigation by ALERT and Lloydminster RCMP. (CBC) ... Officers peg the value of the drugs at $50,000.

what is the point you're making. this is dumb.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, inane said:

what is the point you're making. this is dumb.

Stromer always says living in Surrey is not safe due to crime... but  moonshining in his little one stop light town also attracts alot of crime.....

He also wants the RCMP out of Alberta....  which will most likely result in more expensive / less constable on his unpaved gravel roads...

Very complicated issues  to debate. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Stromer always says living in Surrey is not safe due to crime... but  moonshining in his little one stop light town also attracts alot of crime.....

He also wants the RCMP out of Alberta....  which will most likely result in more expensive / less constable on his unpaved gravel roads...

Very complicated issues  to debate. 

They are, and cherry picking one off news stories or sharing asinine memes doesn't really help now does it.