The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

@Jimmy McGill

Time for jt to man up and do the right thing..

Alberta demands to be removed from federal carbon tax in wake of court decision

The Alberta government is demanding that the federal carbon tax no longer apply to the province after the Alberta Court of Appeal ruled the tax unconstitutional because it infringes on provincial jurisdiction.

Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer is also asking the federal government to “work out a process for the reimbursement to Albertans of taxes paid,” in a letter sent Wednesday morning to federal Justice Minister David Lametti.

“If you do not respond accordingly to our demands, the Government of Alberta will be forced to consider additional legal recourse to ensure that this unlawful tax on Albertans is removed and fully reimbursed,” the letter reads.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/alberta-demands-to-be-removed-from-federal-carbon-tax-in-wake-of-court-decision

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I started this thread as a bit of a joke... but tbh if TMX goes down I think this might just become reality after this week, even with how stupid it would be for so many reasons. 

Actually ever since you started it independence has grown. Now Albertans potentially have the ability to force the provincial government to call a referendum based on new legislation being introduced. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Jimmy McGill

The Alberta government is demanding that the federal carbon tax no longer apply to the province after the Alberta Court of Appeal ruled the tax unconstitutional because it infringes on provincial jurisdiction.

Alberta Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer is also asking the federal government to “work out a process for the reimbursement to Albertans of taxes paid,” in a letter sent Wednesday morning to federal Justice Minister David Lametti.

“If you do not respond accordingly to our demands, the Government of Alberta will be forced to consider additional legal recourse to ensure that this unlawful tax on Albertans is removed and fully reimbursed,” the letter reads.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/alberta-demands-to-be-removed-from-federal-carbon-tax-in-wake-of-court-decision

there's a better chance that the feds buy the Frontier project. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually ever since you started it independence has grown. Now Albertans potentially have the ability to force the provincial government to call a referendum based on new legislation being introduced. 

I still think its a dumb idea. In 50 years you could be a ghost town if the world actually moves off oil, but I can see anger growing out of control if TMX gets nixed. 

Teck should have been approved months ago, it has full support of the first nations involved. The CEO may have ultimately pulled the plug anyway but at least AB would know Trudeau was open to approving projects. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Jimmy McGill

A little premature.   This kind of demand would be warranted if the Supreme Court of Canada ruled the Carbon Tax unconstitutional.  Until the Supreme Court rules, this is a bunch of hot air b.s.

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It’s growing because ordinary people are feeling the pain. They are paying more attention to what the politicians are saying and doing. Vivian Krause can release her research but many people didn’t actually pay attention. Now they hear that their so called federal government has been giving money to the Pembina Institute and lying about it. I suspect more hard facts will be forthcoming on how money is drained east. Businesses that are hurting will/are funding Wexit. This hasn’t happened in a major way before. 

Oil has another + 30 years of  use. All major producers continue to invest in the industry. Read Vermillion’s year end. Expanding in Europe continues. USA scooped  the LNG industry from BC. Canada is a banana monarchy. What is happening to the West is a national security issue and the debate doesn’t move beyond a bunch of American paid protesters drinking coffee around tire fires. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I still think its a dumb idea. In 50 years you could be a ghost town if the world actually moves off oil, but I can see anger growing out of control if TMX gets nixed. 

Teck should have been approved months ago, it has full support of the first nations involved. The CEO may have ultimately pulled the plug anyway but at least AB would know Trudeau was open to approving projects. 

one would think they would have approved it before and put the ball in tecks Court to either Nix it or go forward with it that way they couldn't get blamed

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

red meat for the base. Kenney and his gang need to do more than this empty BS. 

So you like the tone?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

A little premature.   This kind of demand would be warranted if the Supreme Court of Canada ruled the Carbon Tax unconstitutional.  Until the Supreme Court rules, this is a bunch of hot air b.s.

No need for the federal government to waste anymore tax dollars fighting a losing battle. Alberta judges were pretty decisive. give us our money back and scrap the tax.

Edited by Ryan Strome

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No need for the federal government to waste anymore tax dollars fighting a losing battle. Alberta judges were pretty decisive. give us our money back and scrap the tax.

That's not how it works.  The Supreme court will provide the final say on this issue.   If the court sides with those fighting the Carbon tax then give you guys back your money.   If it sides with the Federal government then too bad for you.  That's how our democracy works, and BTW how the US and many other democracies work. 

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

That's not how it works.  The Supreme court will provide the final say on this issue.   If the court sides with those fighting the Carbon tax then give you guys back your money.   If it sides with the Federal government then too bad for you.  That's how our democracy works, and BTW how the US and many other democracies work. 

what kind of a moron would fight a. carbon tax ?   is this the same  type of person that is fighting mandatory vacinations ?

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

We fought it and won!

Will you fight to ban mandatory vacinations next ?

Will you fight for right for children to be able to buy cigarettes and chewing tobacco next ?

Will Alberta next fight for the right of elementary kids to bring guns to school ?

Quite a province you guys are building there....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

You won in Alberta.   The final say comes from the Supreme court of Canada.  You're celebrating a win with the 3rd period yet to finish.

Alberta court voting to support climate destruction...  WELL that certainly is a surprise...

LMAO

See you at CDN Supreme court....  you will get destroyed there. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

one would think they would have approved it before and put the ball in tecks Court to either Nix it or go forward with it that way they couldn't get blamed

So you like the tone?

one would think, that yes. 

I guess the only thing saving Alberta from self-imposed exile is comments with that "tone" might serve as a release valve on coffee row. My concern is that it turns into a Brexit-like situation where people really do turn off their brains. 

I'm more concerned today than ever before that Canada is shooting itself in the foot economically. I don't think Trudeau/Butts has the answer. Freeland may. MacKay doesn't. 

I dunno man, I don't see a way out at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

You won in Alberta.   The final say comes from the Supreme court of Canada.  You're celebrating a win with the 3rd period yet to finish.

No need to go that far. Alberta judges are totally impartial and are the best in the world.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one would think, that yes. 

I guess the only thing saving Alberta from self-imposed exile is comments with that "tone" might serve as a release valve on coffee row. My concern is that it turns into a Brexit-like situation where people really do turn off their brains. 

I'm more concerned today than ever before that Canada is shooting itself in the foot economically. I don't think Trudeau/Butts has the answer. Freeland may. MacKay doesn't. 

I dunno man, I don't see a way out at the moment. 

You really are homesick. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Alberta court voting to support climate destruction...  WELL that certainly is a suprise...

LMAO

See you at CDN Supreme court....  you will get destroyed there. 

Nah jt should do the right thing and let it go. He was beat by the most impartial judges in Canada. Just give the money back Justin,  no apology needed. 

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Haha 1