The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

12 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

They might pay you but sounds like you been driving in their fields lol

if you look at the grain side s.k has  done a lot. 

I'm only messing around. No their highways are complete trash. I remember my first time in Saskatchewan I said wtf is this!

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ha I know that's kinda why I jumped in between you two lol cause I enjoy good back and forth but this topic actually makes sense and there's so many efferent ways we can go about it. 

Yea I hear yea , I grew by the boarder in Manitoba and remember when they found a record strike in Sinclair Manitoba so everything changed since then. 

Nice thing is Manitoba and s.k are tough places and raise tough good people if I may say so but  I would like to see provinces get something back cause s.k and Manitoba don't really have an draw....so they could use their money in theory on bettering schools and so forth and making their province better....look at the state of the highways in each province and the state of the public schools in each province. 

I think it's unfair that provinces that dont produce what others do , get the same size of the pie....to me that's bad business , that money should get back into the provinces for the people. 

Also if s.k has better school and lower cost of living and so all thx to getting paid what it should for the farming , ranching and oil they produce and that way they wouldn't have to raise taxes, heck if they wanted they could lower them lol but that's just my two cents, its a good way to look at and I couldn't let an good topic like this go to waste sorry. 

Edit* look at the coast like N.B and all them....most of those provinces fish or build boats just picture if they got a lil more piece of the pie and how it could better their way of life.....

its pretty complicated, some provinces are just blessed with more valuable resources than others. No one knew when they made up the AB border that it was full of oil. Its just random luck that AB sits on top of that. Or NL has lots of offshore resources, etc. 

Then we have things like free people and labour mobility that allows provinces like AB to have a wealth of good, well educated, healthy employees from other provinces to come in and sometimes also become Alberta citizens too.  

I think there is a fair argument to be made on increasing the per person limit for resource driven provinces when prices fall, last calc I saw on that is AB would get about 1.5 billion next year. That seems fair. 

But equalization, GST payments and federal income tax are not unfair, at all, to Alberta. *https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-why-equalization-is-not-unfair-to-alberta

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I can only imagine once you moved..."what do you mean I don't need a wheel alignment every 30 days."

tbh the first thing that popped into my head was 'well at least some of it looks OK' 

cant take the prairie out of the man I guess 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its pretty complicated, some provinces are just blessed with more valuable resources than others. No one knew when they made up the AB border that it was full of oil. Its just random luck that AB sits on top of that. Or NL has lots of offshore resources, etc. 

Then we have things like free people and labour mobility that allows provinces like AB to have a wealth of good, well educated, healthy employees from other provinces to come in and sometimes also become Alberta citizens too.  

I think there is a fair argument to be made on increasing the per person limit for resource driven provinces when prices fall, last calc I saw on that is AB would get about 1.5 billion next year. That seems fair. 

But equalization, GST payments and federal income tax are not unfair, at all, to Alberta. *https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-why-equalization-is-not-unfair-to-alberta

To me that's just business. You pick where you work and your right some provinces don't produce what others do but that's the luck of the draw. 

Also the provinces that only produce a lil would look at other ways to make money...so in theory it would make us stronger. 

Also it would force lazy provinces to put in the work one way or another and encourage different ways to make money so provinces could better their highways and schools so they can attract more people.....

I remember in Reston Manitoba you could buy a lot for under 100 bucks but you had to build a house within a set time frame, people came but come  on , giving away land for next to nothing just to get people to come to the province. 

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

To me that's just business. You pick where you work and your right some provinces don't produce what others do but that's the luck of the draw. 

Also the provinces that only produce a lil would look at other ways to make money...so in theory it would make us stronger. 

Also it would force lazy provinces to put in the work one way or another and encourage different ways to make money so provinces could better their highways and schools so they can attract more people.....

I remember in Reston Manitoba you could buy a lot for under 100 bucks but you had to build a house within a set time frame, people came but come  on , giving away land for next to nothing just to get people to come to the province. 

honestly tho the transfer payments are there to cover healthcare and education primarily, so that we can have a pretty much equal experience across the country. Thats a worthwhile goal. Otherwise we'd have some very poor have not states like the US does, and I don't think anyone wants to see that up here. 

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@RowdyCanuck

Saskatchewan has an annual worst highway in the province contest..most people run out of ink filling out the ballot. 

bad-roads-2.jpg

As someone who's driven most of Saskatchewan's "highways", I can attest to that. Although, to be fair, in SK, there's pretty much a road from everywhere to everywhere. Here in Gods Country, we have a North-South and an East-West highway, with the odd road branching off from them....

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

honestly tho the transfer payments are there to cover healthcare and education primarily, so that we can have a pretty much equal experience across the country. Thats a worthwhile goal. Otherwise we'd have some very poor have not states like the US does, and I don't think anyone wants to see that up here. 

Look at B.c public schools and Look at the high schools there's a lot that don't have same programs like shop and so on

It would make provinces invest in their future and make them try to do better by their people and I'm all for that. 

Also having money makes it a lot easier to attract business's and people to your province. 

Im not talking about the provinces keeping half of what ever they sell the produces for, I'm talking about a fair % going back to the provinces cause those provinces need help getting people to come there and stay there. 

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As someone who's driven most of Saskatchewan's "highways", I can attest to that. Although, to be fair, in SK, there's pretty much a road from everywhere to everywhere. Here in Gods Country, we have a North-South and an East-West highway, with the odd road branching off from them....

Yea last time I was going to Regina and it was rush hour and i wanted to miss that so I just took a dirt road around Regina and it shot me back on to the main highway lol I love that about s.k lol

Just now, RowdyCanuck said:

Yea last time I was going to Regina and it was rush hour and i wanted to miss that so I just took a dirt road around Regina and it shot me back on to the main highway lol I love that about s.k lol

TBH, we loved it in out traveling musician days as well. We never had a lot of extra money, so a direct road fro A to B really made a difference. It was very noticeable when we toured BC.

Without a word of a lie, in the late 80's we did a progression of gigs from Banff to Yellowknife, Yellowknife to Ft St John, Ft St John to PG, PG to Campbell River, Campbell River to Nanaimo, Nanaimo to Prince Rupert....

If it wasn't for the FT ST John - PG and the CR - Nanaimo trips, it probably would have bankrupted us....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So your saying Quebec would get mad cause they don't get free day care? And maybe it would force people to move to make a better life and also people wouldn't over populate one province....

could also better the relationship with the east and west.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

TBH, we loved it in out traveling musician days as well. We never had a lot of extra money, so a direct road fro A to B really made a difference. It was very noticeable when we toured BC.

Without a word of a lie, in the late 80's we did a progression of gigs from Banff to Yellowknife, Yellowknife to Ft St John, Ft St John to PG, PG to Campbell River, Campbell River to Nanaimo, Nanaimo to Prince Rupert....

If it wasn't for the FT ST John - PG and the CR - Nanaimo trips, it probably would have bankrupted us....

I hear yea. What did your band play if you don't mind me asking?

i thought I put on miles during my rodeo days but damn, never anything like that ha

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's True but it's pretty expensive to be blasting mountains. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I hear yea. What did your band play if you don't mind me asking?

i thought I put on miles during my rodeo days but damn, never anything like that ha

it was the 80s. pretty much all Rock from the 60s on up.

Think U2, Def Leppard, Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, Simple Minds, Robert Palmer, Nazareth.....(those off the top of my head)

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Its called a grid road. But Rupert is correct they do have highways everywhere, well at least what they call a highway.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's True but it's pretty expensive to be blasting mountains. 

I remember once talking to someone unfamiliar with BC topography and trying to explain why you couldn't drive directly from Prince Rupert to Vancouver....

...the entire thing would be bridges and tunnels and would cost more than the total for all of the highways between BC and Ontario....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

it was the 80s. pretty much all Rock from the 60s on up.

Think U2, Def Leppard, Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, Simple Minds, Robert Palmer, Nazareth.....(those off the top of my head)

So you played the good stuff unlike what they play now lol that's cool man. 

That would have been so cool. 

Sorry I can't sing so I'm in awe lol