The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Prince Harry be chosen as our King?

canuckster19

• 1 month later...

Public opinion in the UK was sky high for Meghan until about a month before the wedding, when all the stories started coning out about the way she treated her own family, the demands she was making, Harry encouraging her with 'what my princess wants, she gets'. Not allowing Kate to wear the dress she wanted.

She went from beloved to despised in a very short space of time, and we didn't enjoy finding out some rather concerning stories about the way she treats people, which was unbecoming of a member of the royal family (I know, Prince Andrew, he needs to be arrested).

Since then, while social media has definitely seen a significant increase in the number of racist comments made against her, the traditional media has simply tapped into a huge reservoir of stories about her. No other senior royal has gone through so many personal aides in such a short space of time. The secrecy of the birth, against tradition, rankled. Then endless complaints about the media, and now this separation. She has consistently played the victim, without ever appearing as one to anyone in the UK. Most would give both arms and legs to have that position of privilege and responsibility.

I never saw the media as being racist towards her - out to get her, maybe, but not due to her ethnicity - so perhaps the issue is with social, rather than traditional media. But this woman will not be welcomed back to the UK by the majority of the population - she has not only burned those bridges, she has put up lawn signs saying "screw you" and put "I hate the Queen" bumper stickers on her car.

Canada just made a lot of friends here in the UK with this announcement that the Sussexes will have to pay for their own security. Please use that money wisely folks - spend it on education, healthcare, COVID-19 preparations, and on fair treatment of indigenous peoples.

Canada should become a republic and remove itself from the useless Commonwealth. The idea that people are born into power is an archaic and ridiculous ideal that still sadly seems to be prevalent in this country. The idea that all new Canadians should pledge allegiance to some foreign monarch is insulting.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Canada should become a republic and remove itself from the useless Commonwealth. The idea that people are born into power is an archaic and ridiculous ideal that still sadly seems to be prevalent in this country. The idea that all new Canadians should pledge allegiance to some foreign monarch is insulting.

I don’t like the British monarchy any more than I do the native monarchy in BC. People should be judged by their actions not by their blood or the line of BS they spew.

• Upvote 1