The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Trial of Rocky Rambo Wei Nam Kam - Video Game Made Me Do It

DonLever

Its not even a defense when you think about it. Either he willingly murdered people, or is so far out of reality that he can't control himself - leading to the murder of people.

Either way a threat to society. The latter is almost worse in a way, b/c there could be no sign of premeditation or reason.

This video game defense feels so '2000's', right there with 'roid rage'. Its unfortunate the guy fell into such a degenerative life, but the punishment can't be softened.

Even if you think literally about the phrase "a video game made me do it", did the video game like whisper in his ear or something? It's just some dude trying to put the blame elsewhere other than on himself after committing a horrific act.

Edited by The Lock

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its not even a defense when you think about it. Either he willingly murdered people, or is so far out of reality that he can't control himself - leading to the murder of people.

Either way a threat to society. The latter is almost worse in a way, b/c there could be no sign of premeditation or reason.

This video game defense feels so '2000's', right there with 'roid rage'. Its unfortunate the guy fell into such a degenerative life, but the punishment can't be softened.

All that is missing are some "rock music" and violent TV shows.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The responses from some of the posters on this forum is beyond out of touch with reality.. 

True story, but I experienced something like this in my early 20's after suffering many different disorders for years.

At one point my mental health got so bad I literally thought I was in a video game.. now not like a FPS or someone who wants to murder people but I thought I was like a main character in a game and everyone else were just side characters.

I would experience many delusions like I was in GTA or something and things would sometimes seem unreal to me like if I was not alive... 

It took a lot of therapy and treatment for me to get back to reality...

Mental health is very serious... 

I just watched a Dr. Phil episode where some guy thinks he is a cyborg.. whether it's scripted or not is up for debate, but if someone is suffering from mental health issues I can understand they can lose touch with reality.

Hopefully he is telling the truth and can be treated/taken out of society. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, drummer4now said:

The responses from some of the posters on this forum is beyond out of touch with reality.. 

True story, but I experienced something like this in my early 20's after suffering many different disorders for years.

At one point my mental health got so bad I literally thought I was in a video game.. now not like a FPS or someone who wants to murder people but I thought I was like a main character in a game and everyone else were just side characters.

I would experience many delusions like I was in GTA or something and things would sometimes seem unreal to me like if I was not alive... 

It took a lot of therapy and treatment for me to get back to reality...

Mental health is very serious... 

I just watched a Dr. Phil episode where some guy thinks he is a cyborg.. whether it's scripted or not is up for debate, but if someone is suffering from mental health issues I can understand they can lose touch with reality.

Hopefully he is telling the truth and can be treated/taken out of society. 

I'm not debating that mental health isn't an issue. That's a leap from what I said. The defense still isn't a 'defense' - as far as him not being a threat to society.

Your a good example of getting the resources necessary, rather than playing video games every waking moment & continuing to degenerate like this guy.

My post wasn't a debate about mental health, it can absolutely cause people to lose their grip on reality. I've had issues, still do but getting better presently. And I think everyone has their own mental issues, or atleast at some point in their life has, obviously to varying degrees. It doesn't justify murder however.  

Edit: I agree with your last line 100%.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Thanks 1