The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Habs-Oilers Blockbuster

I know Montreal isn't willing to go into a rebuild, but personally I think they really need to before Price and Weber age even more and the contracts become untradeable.  In contrast, I think the Oilers have the young core, and clearly need veteran leadership and talent to put the team into cup contender status over the next several years.  They are the perfect trade partners.  

Canadiens Current Reality

The Canadiens are 8 points out of a wild card spot, with a roster near the cap limit, no major contracts coming off the books and a roster largely based around veterans in their 30's who are likely to decline coming up.  This combo means that the current iteration of the Canadiens is a failure, and won't win the cup during the Carey Price years.  They don't have the cap flexibility to make a major addition or two, they don't have enough of a young core about to step up which could make them cup contenders.  They are stuck in mediocrity.  They won't rebuild because it would cost Bergevin his job, but I really think they need to blow this up now while they can still get value in return for guys like Price and Weber. 

Furthermore, while it's a long-shot, I think the Canadiens should poise themselves to be in as good a place as possible to go all-in for Lafreniere.  He would be the cornerstone of the franchise.  Tanking the rest of this year, and adding several assets for a potential trade, would give them a far better shot at getting him.  It's a way better approach then finishing just out of the playoffs, then riding out the next few years with these veterans, then starting a rebuild at that time.  Still unlikely that they win the lottery, or that another team will trade Lafreniere, but if I were Bergevin, I'd do everything possible to give myself a shot at him. 

Oilers Current Reality
The Oilers are in a very different place.  They've got the young talented core, and need to add a couple key veterans to the lineup to help show the team how to be winners.  They are right in the thick of the packed Pacific Division race.  Right now, even with two of the top five young players in the league, they are not cup favourites, but in a pack of above-average teams.  They've had a revolving door at the goalie position for years, and need stability there.  They've got several good (but not elite) fairly young defenders who could really use the guidance and mentorship of one's the best veteran d-men in the league over the past ten years.  The difficulty is working this around the cap, but I think it can be done.

Trade Idea

To Edmonton: Shea Weber (7.85m), Carey Price (10.5m), Kovalchuk (.7m) = 19.05million - then Montreal keeps $1.5mil of Price, so $17.55 million overall

To Montreal: Nugent-Hopkins (6m), James Neal (5.75m), Mikko Koskinen (4.5m) Kailer Yamamoto (.9m), Evan Bouchard, Edm 2020 1st round pick, Edm 2021 2nd round pick =17.15million

Potentially also add Tatar (4.8) for Russell (4), a 2nd round pick and maybe a prospect.

Some of these pieces could be exchanged for others depending on team preferences.  For example Neal's contract could be swapped out for Russell's and Gagner's if Montreal doesn't want Neal's contract or Edmonton wants to keep a productive forward.  Or if Montreal really likes Ethan Bear more than Evan Bouchard, then they could be switched.

Reasoning For Montreal

In one big move, the Canadiens move on from an era that was starting to age and was no where near the cup, and at the same time brings back lots of pieces to get fans excited about the future potential.  For two veterans on huge contracts (plus the quick sign and trade of Kovalchuk), the Habs get back Nugent-Hopkins as a top 6 forward the same age as their core guys, a potential stud prospect d-man in Bouchard, a good young forward in Yamamoto, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and two veterans to fill roster spots. 

The core of the team for the present is all around 24-27 years old with guys like Domi, Nugent-Hopkins, Gallagher, Drouin, Danault.  They also all of a sudden have a huge pool of prospects and picks with Kotkaniemi, Caulfield, Bear, Yamamoto, Suzuki, Mete, Poehling as well as a first round pick that will improve if they lose down the stretch plus a mid first round pick of Edmonton.  Montreal should build around the mid-20's guys so that the real young guys still have talent leading the way, and by the time the young guys are entering their prime, the guys like Domi and Drouin will be the veterans on the team.

As mentioned before, I then think the Habs should go absolutely all-in to try to get Lafreniere, even if it's a super steep price.  Caulfield, Bouchard, Montreal & Edmonton's first, and maybe another first.  Huge price, but he would be the franchise cornerstone for the next 20 years.  If you pull this off (very hard to do, but everything has a price), I think the fans immediately are willing to move on from the Price era, and be excited for the future.

Reasoning for Edmonton
With young studs like McDavid and Draisaitl, as well as some good d-men about to enter their prime like Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Bear the Oilers need to turn a corner and really go for it.  This deal addresses two main needs.  First, in goal, with one of the best 'keepers in the game.  Second, a true #1 stud defenseman, who also can be a great mentor to the younger guys.  The top four of Kelfbom-Larsson and Nurse-Weber (plus Ethan Bear!) would be locked in for years to come.  The current issue for the Oilers is depth up front, and this deal doesn't specifically address that (unless the deal expands to include Tatar) so they may want to do another deal.  However they add Kovalchuk for the rest of the year on a cheap deal, lose Neal's contract (even though he's a decently productive forward), and get the two best players in the trade.  In my opinion, this roster is much more likely to compete for a cup over the next four years.

Overall

I'd be interested to hear your constructive feedback.

-If you were Bergevin, do you think you'd try to trade Weber and Price now, or ride it out a couple more years?

-If you were the Oilers, would you be willing to give up these younger assets for Price and Weber, knowing that they could be bad contracts in 4-6 years?

-Removing the players added for contract and roster purposes (Koskinen, Neal), do you think the value is fair to trade Price (with $1.5m retained), Weber and Kovalchuk for Nugent Hopkins, Yamamoto, Bouchard, 2020 1st round pick and 2021 2nd round pick?

Edited by underrated

35 minutes ago, underrated said:

I know Montreal isn't willing to go into a rebuild, but personally I think they really need to before Price and Weber age even more and the contracts become untradeable.  In contrast, I think the Oilers have the young core, and clearly need veteran leadership and talent to put the team into cup contender status over the next several years.  They are the perfect trade partners.  

Canadiens Current Reality

The Canadiens are 8 points out of a wild card spot, with a roster near the cap limit, no major contracts coming off the books and a roster largely based around veterans in their 30's who are likely to decline coming up.  This combo means that the current iteration of the Canadiens is a failure, and won't win the cup during the Carey Price years.  They don't have the cap flexibility to make a major addition or two, they don't have enough of a young core about to step up which could make them cup contenders.  They are stuck in mediocrity.  They won't rebuild because it would cost Bergevin his job, but I really think they need to blow this up now while they can still get value in return for guys like Price and Weber. 

Furthermore, while it's a long-shot, I think the Canadiens should poise themselves to be in as good a place as possible to go all-in for Lafreniere.  He would be the cornerstone of the franchise.  Tanking the rest of this year, and adding several assets for a potential trade, would give them a far better shot at getting him.  It's a way better approach then finishing just out of the playoffs, then riding out the next few years with these veterans, then starting a rebuild at that time.  Still unlikely that they win the lottery, or that another team will trade Lafreniere, but if I were Bergevin, I'd do everything possible to give myself a shot at him. 

Oilers Current Reality
The Oilers are in a very different place.  They've got the young talented core, and need to add a couple key veterans to the lineup to help show the team how to be winners.  They are right in the thick of the packed Pacific Division race.  Right now, even with two of the top five young players in the league, they are not cup favourites, but in a pack of above-average teams.  They've had a revolving door at the goalie position for years, and need stability there.  They've got several good (but not elite) fairly young defenders who could really use the guidance and mentorship of one's the best veteran d-men in the league over the past ten years.  The difficulty is working this around the cap, but I think it can be done.

Trade Idea

To Montreal: Shea Weber (7.85m), Carey Price (10.5m), Kovalchuk (.7m) = 19.05million - then Montreal keeps $1.5mil of Price, so $17.55 million overall

To Edmonton: Nugent-Hopkins (6m), James Neal (5.75m), Mikko Koskinen (4.5m) Kailer Yamamoto (.9m), Evan Bouchard, Edm 2020 1st round pick, Edm 2021 2nd round pick =17.15million

Potentially also add Tatar (4.8) for Russell (4), a 2nd round pick and maybe a prospect.

Some of these pieces could be exchanged for others depending on team preferences.  For example Neal's contract could be swapped out for Russell's and Gagner's if Montreal doesn't want Neal's contract or Edmonton wants to keep a productive forward.  Or if Montreal really likes Ethan Bear more than Evan Bouchard, then they could be switched.

Reasoning For Montreal

In one big move, the Canadiens move on from an era that was starting to age and was no where near the cup, and at the same time brings back lots of pieces to get fans excited about the future potential.  For two veterans on huge contracts (plus the quick sign and trade of Kovalchuk), the Habs get back Nugent-Hopkins as a top 6 forward the same age as their core guys, a potential stud prospect d-man in Bouchard, a good young forward in Yamamoto, a 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and two veterans to fill roster spots. 

The core of the team for the present is all around 24-27 years old with guys like Domi, Nugent-Hopkins, Gallagher, Drouin, Danault.  They also all of a sudden have a huge pool of prospects and picks with Kotkaniemi, Caulfield, Bear, Yamamoto, Suzuki, Mete, Poehling as well as a first round pick that will improve if they lose down the stretch plus a mid first round pick of Edmonton.  Montreal should build around the mid-20's guys so that the real young guys still have talent leading the way, and by the time the young guys are entering their prime, the guys like Domi and Drouin will be the veterans on the team.

As mentioned before, I then think the Habs should go absolutely all-in to try to get Lafreniere, even if it's a super steep price.  Caulfield, Bouchard, Montreal & Edmonton's first, and maybe another first.  Huge price, but he would be the franchise cornerstone for the next 20 years.  If you pull this off (very hard to do, but everything has a price), I think the fans immediately are willing to move on from the Price era, and be excited for the future.

Reasoning for Edmonton
With young studs like McDavid and Draisaitl, as well as some good d-men about to enter their prime like Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Bear the Oilers need to turn a corner and really go for it.  This deal addresses two main needs.  First, in goal, with one of the best 'keepers in the game.  Second, a true #1 stud defenseman, who also can be a great mentor to the younger guys.  The top four of Kelfbom-Larsson and Nurse-Weber (plus Ethan Bear!) would be locked in for years to come.  The current issue for the Oilers is depth up front, and this deal doesn't specifically address that (unless the deal expands to include Tatar) so they may want to do another deal.  However they add Kovalchuk for the rest of the year on a cheap deal, lose Neal's contract (even though he's a decently productive forward), and get the two best players in the trade.  In my opinion, this roster is much more likely to compete for a cup over the next four years.

Overall

I'd be interested to hear your constructive feedback.

-If you were Bergevin, do you think you'd try to trade Weber and Price now, or ride it out a couple more years?

-If you were the Oilers, would you be willing to give up these younger assets for Price and Weber, knowing that they could be bad contracts in 4-6 years?

-Removing the players added for contract and roster purposes (Koskinen, Neal), do you think the value is fair to trade Price (with $1.5m retained), Weber and Kovalchuk for Nugent Hopkins, Yamamoto, Bouchard, 2020 1st round pick and 2021 2nd round pick?

The actual trade content (bolded) should have the cities reversed.

Bergevin has outright said he’s not willing to listen to offers on Price or Weber. They believe it’s a playoff team as is and the season was derailed by simultaneous injuries to 3 of their top 6 (4 of their top 9).  He’ll likely sell a few smaller assets (Thompson, Scandella, perhaps Kovalchuk). But you won’t see any giant moves like this 

Edmonton won’t be making a move for Weber considering he’s out 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury 

24 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Bergevin has outright said he’s not willing to listen to offers on Price or Weber. They believe it’s a playoff team as is and the season was derailed by simultaneous injuries to 3 of their top 6 (4 of their top 9).  He’ll likely sell a few smaller assets (Thompson, Scandella, perhaps Kovalchuk). But you won’t see any giant moves like this 

Edmonton won’t be making a move for Weber considering he’s out 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury 

I mentioned at the beginning of the post that I recognize Bergevin isn't willing to do a big trade, as it would cost him his job.  But I was saying that personally I think the best thing for their franchise is to move on from this core, and start an aggressive rebuild.  If he believes this team, if healthy, might just make the playoffs, then what's the point?  This core will never win a cup, and they'd be far better to accept this now, then end up accepting it three years from now when Weber and Price are untradable.

1 hour ago, underrated said:

Thoughts?  Haven't gotten any feedback from the actual post, just comments about Weber's injury and changes to the wording of the post haha

5 minutes ago, underrated said:

I mentioned at the beginning of the post that I recognize Bergevin isn't willing to do a big trade, as it would cost him his job.  But I was saying that personally I think the best thing for their franchise is to move on from this core, and start an aggressive rebuild.  If he believes this team, if healthy, might just make the playoffs, then what's the point?  This core will never win a cup, and they'd be far better to accept this now, then end up accepting it three years from now when Weber and Price are untradable.

Saying they Won’t win a cup with this core is meaningless.  Price is still a top goalie, Weber was in the Norris conversation before getting injured.  Montreal has a young team. (Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Mete, Domi, Drouin, Lehtkonen, Armia Fleury are all 26 or under). They have one of the best prospect pools in the league (ranked 2nd by The Athletics Scott Wheeler). They could take substantial steps forward in the next couple years. Just like Vancouver is starting to look a lot better. The cup is tough to win. But get in the playoffs and anything can happen.