The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

College FA Signings

Al-mo

Hard for us on the West coast to compete with top College FA who play back East and or are from the East. We have signed some though so holding out hope we can try nab another this spring. We need to add any kind of FREE prospect we can from College or Euro as we are lacking some high picks in the coming draft(s)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hard for us on the West coast to compete with top College FA who play back East and or are from the East. We have signed some though so holding out hope we can try nab another this spring. We need to add any kind of FREE prospect we can from College or Euro as we are lacking some high picks in the coming draft(s)

We have recently signed Rafferty, Teves and Kielly all from East coast colleges. We have signed plenty more prior (eg MacEwen, Stecher, etc). We have been adding these said free prospect for years while people have been complaining about us not adding picks and thus making up for said lost opportunities. There is literally no concern about college/free prospect signings.

With that said, these college signings are rarely going to make up for the high picks. They are generally long shots that developed later in their careers. We may add Rathbone and Tryamkin before the season is done and I can almost guarantee that they will be better than any college FA available and thus maximizing our later round picks. Making later round picks count is just as effective at making up for lacking high picks.

7 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Why do so many college kids sign with NYR??? 

Most college kids family settles in that region of the East. NYR is the biggest major city in that area, it is both close to home and convinient to travel to anywhere else.

• Cheers 1

On 3/10/2020 at 12:31 AM, ruilin96 said:

Most college kids family settles in that region of the East. NYR is the biggest major city in that area, it is both close to home and convinient to travel to anywhere else.

I wonder if also that they are a rebuilding team and have a lot of room for college players to make the jump right away or at least have a good crack at it. Plus being a high profile team helps.

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder if also that they are a rebuilding team and have a lot of room for college players to make the jump right away or at least have a good crack at it. Plus being a high profile team helps.

They have been able to get Vesey to sign with them when they were considered a playoff team.

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

They have been able to get Vesey to sign with them when they were considered a playoff team.

Not saying that NYR doesn't attract them for other reasons, but I think the allure of making the big club as soon as possible adds to it.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We'd have to shed a few contracts to make room for free agent signings IMO. The question is who.

Is that even possible at the moment? How would we get out from under a contract? I suppose we could mutually terminate Palmu's contract? I don't know if there's anyone else?

13 hours ago, Trebreh said:

are the Canucks pursuing any college free agents this year or are we focused on signing Rathbone, Lockwood etc?

only College player who is looking at signing that I can think we have a connection with is D Colton Poolman who played 4 years at North Dakota, was their Captain this season. 1 of those seasons Brock Boeser was on the team, year before College he played with the Penticton Vees in the BCHL. Anyone down in Penticton recall watching him during 2015/2-16?

Stats don't jump out at you, 17pts in both of his last years in College. Could be a depth signing for Utica, or may start next year in the ECHL like G Jake Kielly did this year?

He is 24 turning 25 in Dec, so an older player who finished his College off to get a degree as unknown pro hockey career ahead

#Canucks

NHL_Team_Emojis_2019_2020_Canucks.png

have signed Will Lockwood to a 2 year deal. Lockwood told me this a few weeks ago “Hopefully it happens. My dream was to play four years at Michigan, just like the dream to play in Vancouver, being a part of the Canucks organization. ”

We signed Lockwood, probably a full on thread about it