The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Interview with Brian Burke - Cap info

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Burke's a pretty unique person as far as people around the league go, he's performed all sorts of roles and held various positions over his career.  He likely has insight someone who's just been a GM or president wouldn't have. I don't agree with everything he says, but I respect his insight.

Yep, the guy is a hockey man, no doubt about it.  They called Pat Quinn "Three Hat Pat" when he was president, coach and GM, but Burke has worn about as many "hats" in the builder category as there are to wear.  He's not beyond the realm of possibilities as a Hall of Famer one day.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yep, the guy is a hockey man, no doubt about it.  They called Pat Quinn "Three Hat Pat" when he was president, coach and GM, but Burke has worn about as many "hats" in the builder category as there are to wear.  He's not beyond the realm of possibilities as a Hall of Famer one day.

I wouldn't be surprised, there are only so many people to nominate as builders. He's definitely done a lot. GM, director of hockey operations, GM of four teams, league disciplinarian, executive vice president and director of hockey operations for the NHL front office, president as well as GM for the Leafs, president of hockey operations for the Flames, and now hockey analyst. 

On 4/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, Crabcakes said:

Just listened to the interview,  the rollback sounds like pro-rating salaries based on the number of games actually played.  This makes a lot of sense to me because players will be paid on a per game basis which is about as fair as you can get.  The salary cap for next season then, say they play 54 games.....the cap would be 54 / 82 X $85M = $56M but everybody's salary is reduced accordingly as well so it's all relative.

The way I understood his comments is that if the salary cap was $81.5 million this year, next year the cap could be up to 40% lower, which would mean a $48.9 million cap. This would result in all of the players salaries being rolled back 40% as well. Therefore the Canucks would still be in the same cap situation as they are right now. 

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

The way I understood his comments is that if the salary cap was $81.5 million this year, next year the cap could be up to 40% lower, which would mean a $48.9 million cap. This would result in all of the players salaries being rolled back 40% as well. Therefore the Canucks would still be in the same cap situation as they are right now. 

Maybe they would find ways to screw us like having the cap recapture and precious buyouts not reduce accordingly.

On the other hand, is Eriksson more likely to retire if he is only in line for 60% of his remaining $8 million... or 60% of the $5 million owed after this year’s signing bonus?  Boy if he was only due $3 million for two years of work and you told him he is going to have to raise the buses in the minors for all that... who could see him continuing to play?

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Maybe they would find ways to screw us like having the cap recapture and precious buyouts not reduce accordingly.

On the other hand, is Eriksson more likely to retire if he is only in line for 60% of his remaining $8 million... or 60% of the $5 million owed after this year’s signing bonus?  Boy if he was only due $3 million for two years of work and you told him he is going to have to raise the buses in the minors for all that... who could see him continuing to play?

Well, I don't know if he'll ever make that kind of money again doing anything else for the rest of his life.

You might be surprised.  A lot of great players closed out their careers in the minors for multiple years without complaint.  Rob Brown, Mike Keane, etc.  Al Secord and Rod Langway came back just to play in the minors.  I don't really know how Loui feels about such things.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well, I don't know if he'll ever make that kind of money again doing anything else for the rest of his life.

You might be surprised.  A lot of great players closed out their careers in the minors for multiple years without complaint.  Rob Brown, Mike Keane, etc.  Al Secord and Rod Langway came back just to play in the minors.  I don't really know how Loui feels about such things.

Those aren’t comparables and a huge reach just to find names of some guys who did that.

Rob Brown had a career earnings of $2.8 million, Keane chose to sign with his hometown team in Manitoba.

Eriksson will have career earnings of around $60 million.  He owns restaurants back in Sweden.  He has no connection to here or Utica, his young family moved back to Dallas already.  

It isn’t impossible that he would report to  the minors, but I wouldn’t put the chance of that very high.  It is inexcusable for our brass to not have put that pressure on him to test his resolve on it.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

7ozb853kse001.jpg.aa956724fae1ef1d733cd150bf666429.jpg

• Haha 1