The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "All Canuck All Star Team!"

Rate this topic

NexusRift

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Vrbata ... ha ha.   The new rules where each team has to be represented is a joke IMO.   It’s all part of Bettmans communistic view of the vanilla he wants the league to have to keep money rolling in.   It’s also an insult to those prior that actually had to be a star to get in - hence the word All STAR.   All star selections matter when evaluating a players career ... the only thing I’ve really enjoyed was the fans voting in Scott - kind of gave the league the middle finger (and they weren’t happy about it - some didn’t want to let him play)...but his teammates loved it - because they loved having enforcers covering their backs and carried that giant on their shoulders and he was the MVP (another middle finger).    It sucked in the 80’s when the Oilers were sending three lines and two goalies to the games ... but it is what it is - and it meant a lot more when Gradin, Rota, Snepsts etc got the call.    Horvat .... well let’s just say Gelinas would also have played one year ... and several others had the rules been the same back then.   Used to look forward to the all-star game - not anymore even though we have to send someone deserving or not.   Too many excellent players don’t get in when they should.

On that rant - the same thing could be said about SO points .... every year since it’s happened one or two teams with better winning percentages lose out because a skills competition is weighted so high in the standings.  Not only does is make a mockery of the record books with goalies getting a win instead of a tie - and 90 points which used to be a solid season now a joke - and 100 points which used to be an amazing accomplishment commonplace.   Check TO’s history out...how many 100 point seasons all-time as an original six team did they manage pre-shoot out.   What Vancouver did in the early 90’s when they set a team record for goals and points was every bit as impressive as the best WCE teams and almost as impressive as when we won Presidents Trohpies...

Edit:  For TO they managed it 3 times. Twice 100 and once 103...other then that their high-water mark was 92. 

Hey Ibatch, I appreciate a good Sunday morning rant!!

Lets not let facts get in the way .

fact is the 1 player per team has always been the norm, can't blame Bettman for that one. Although there were a few years when it did not happen.

Look at the defense I posted, Quinn and Jovo deserved to be there. how can we tell? Well they both went with another Canuck, that has only happened about 5 times in 50 years. BUt the rest of the D-men went because the NHL was "drafting for possition" ---- lets see, the "East", Campbell" "N/A" "World" "Western' are short D-men, who can we pick from the Canucks? BABE Pratt! oh wait its his kid, oh well he goes .

I have no problem with Shoot outs, because I see the need for regular season games to end at a reasonable time, especially for the road team. That is not the problem.

The problem is 3 point games... and fans obsession with stats and records.

The truely funny part is that when the Shoot Out was innitiated there was a call to move to 3 point games. That was shouted down because it would ruin the record books. So what do they do? Make SOME of the games worth 3 points and pretend that nothiing has changed! If this is the NHL's problem solving ability, I guess we are lucky they are not in charge or World Peace or Climate Disfunction.

You are correct, the books have been corrupted. (but only just a little bit)

The concept of playing .500 hockey went out the window too, and that is funny because 8 years (or however many its been) John +John still talk about "Each team pockets a point", (as if we don't know that by now) yet they still talk about .500 hockey as if it means something.

I'd like to hear John say to John "well there is another game where one team get a point for losing and the other gets 2, so every team in the playoffs is a 100 point team"

Do I have time to get into goalies and goalie gear?

They used to have a modicum of protection in their crease, now they wander and run picks.

Gary Smith caused the ban on goalies crossing center ice, appearently because it degraded the sanctity of the game. In 48 years of watching hockey, Alex Auld is the only goalie I recall taking that penalty when he touched the puck as he crossed center going to the bench on a delayed call.

But Mike Smith (a disgrace to the name) runs around, falls down, causes penalties and shoots at the open net.

So to be clear, Gary Smith bad, Mike Smith good, got it? good.

Remember when Ron Hextall and Billy Smith used to roam? It was cool because it was dangerous, now its like a kid in a crosswalk, you have to slam on the brakes and crash into your own teammate lest you brush up against precious Mikey.

And then there is equipment.

goalies sliding back and forth on their pads because the pads arre deisgned to ride flush with the ice in an unnatural position. But they got rid of the spiderweb jerseys, I guess I should be thatnkful for that.

How many ineffective rules has the NHL made to increase scoring? (Move blue line, remove red line , move goal line, make Gretzky's office larger{not because he needed it} change offside rule multiple times, introduce special pucks, allow kinda sorta kicked, but not quite , well yeah kicked pucks into the net, but never really create boundries that goalies cannot cross. Woah! I went overboard, they made the trapezoid, halelujia.

Wanna increase scoring? 

make goalies stand up on at least one skate unless they are stacking the pads, cuz stackin the pads is cool.

Remove the damn bubble around them when they roam 

Ban them from passing across their blue line, it was a little bit cool when Hextall did it, but its not cool now

Allow them to shoot at the open net though, cuz that is still cool, just not pass.

While I'm at it (ranting) I have asked this q a 100 times and nobody has ever answered

What is the value of the "Glove hands pass in the defensive zone"?

End of rant for today, I am leaving you now, because I am going to try and be useful today, maybe I will solve World Peace or Climate Disfunction or maybe aI will cut my lawn

Cheers L

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Tanti Sundin Mogilny 

Steamer Messier Bure 

Sedin Linden Sedin 

Naslund EP Bertuzzi 

Reinhart QH 

Jovo Ohlund 

Snepts Lidster 

Luongo 

Captain Kirk 

Read OP.    More than half your lineup doesn't qualify under the given parameters. 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Read OP.    More than half your lineup doesn't qualify under the given parameters. 

I read it just now. Oops. I had 3 minutes of fun. 
Looks like fun to complete, but I’ve spent enough time in Lala land on this already. 
Yours was pretty cool, by the way. 

Back to my rant-perch and to post about The Missing Link, I go...

13 hours ago, lmm said:

Here they are, the canucks that have played in an All Star game

I am sorry but Messier made the game 2/3 seasons he was stealing our money

Williams Gradin Schmautz

Rota Adams Ververgaert

Naslund Messier Bertuzzi

D. Sedin H.Sedin Linden

Mogilny Kesler Bure

Tanti Horvat Boeser

.... Pettersson  Vrbata

Pratt Tallon

Snepsts Guevremont

Lindgren McCarthy

EdlerJovanovski

Hughes Reinhart

Smith

Garrett

McLean

Luongo

It's all your fault, man! :)  :)                                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by NexusRift
Just wanna keep the peace.

18 hours ago, Wilbur said:

D. Sedin H. Sedin Neely

Lever Pettersson Bure

Kesler Linden Smyl

Boudrias Malhotra Burrows

Ohlund Hughes

Tallon Edler

Bieksa Snepsts

Hanlon

Schneider

A very nice lineup but I don't see how either Boudrias is Malhotra are eligible.  We were the Superpest's 5th NHL team and Malhotra showed up in Vancouver at the 11th hour of his career.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

A very nice lineup but I don't see how either Boudrias is Malhotra are eligible.  We were the Superpest's 5th NHL team and Malhotra showed up in Vancouver at the 11th hour of his career.

I think expansive draft people were allowed.

No excuses for Malhotra...brain fart on that one.

I knew Manny Malholtra was a Ranger draft, but I had to do some research on Andre Boudrias. Yea. Andre don't count. He was a Habs draft and played a few games for them in the mid '60s. wow....so long ago!

So how do you guys think your choices would do in todays NHL.

I think my team does pretty good

3 big goalies, sorry John might struggle

Guevermont might win a Norris trophy if no one notices that he is -75

Snepsts might struggle, but man it'd fun to watch him play again,and he made it to 1000 games he's a survivor

Jovo would love the new game, same with Reinhart and Tallon

the forwards are mostly pretty fast, Bertuzzi and Ververgaert would probably struggle, but lets face it they only combined for 3 good seasons. Canuck Messier would be benched

game day

Mogilny Pettersson Bure

D. Sedin H. Sedin Linden

Adams Kesler Naslund

Williams Gradin Bertuzzi

(Horvat)

Edler Jovo

Hughes Reinhart

Snepsts Guevermont

(McCarthy)

Luongo

McLean

Edited by lmm

5 hours ago, lmm said:

Snepsts might struggle, but man it'd fun to watch him play again,and he made it to 1000 games he's a survivor

the forwards are mostly pretty fast, Bertuzzi and Ververgaert would probably struggle, but lets face it they only combined for 3 good seasons. Canuck Messier would be benched

game day

Mogilny Pettersson Bure

D. Sedin H. Sedin Linden

Adams Kesler Naslund

Williams Gradin Bertuzzi

(Horvat)

Edler Jovo

Hughes Reinhart

Snepsts Guevermont

(McCarthy)

Luongo

McLean

Bad boy! must follow OP rules. See original post. 

7 hours ago, lmm said:

game day

Mogilny Pettersson Bure

D. Sedin H. Sedin Linden

Adams Kesler Naslund

Williams Gradin Bertuzzi

(Horvat)

Edler Jovo

Hughes Reinhart

Snepsts Guevermont

(McCarthy)

Luongo

McLean

Okay, your post doesn't count re: the rules.  But that made me rotfl.  Imagining this fantasy all-star invitation. And Messier is invited, thinking he'll probably be on the first line and captain, only to find out our all-star coach Quinn makes him sit in the press box instead.

4 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

hahah I followed the rules once

got a tummy ache and vowed never to do it again

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Okay, your post doesn't count re: the rules.  But that made me rotfl.  Imagining this fantasy all-star invitation. And Messier is invited, thinking he'll probably be on the first line and captain, only to find out our all-star coach Quinn makes him sit in the press box instead.

there are rules?

is there a prize?

On 5/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, CaptKirk888 said:

Truth be told, Imm, when I made this thread it was obviously just for fun and to pass some time during COVID isolation. And I recall somewhere in CDC a thread of this ilk, but using all Canuck players, via trade or whatever.  I apologize. I got lazy!

• Cheers 1