The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scott Mayfield - NYI (Discussion)

always interested in a 6'5" 223# D-man

but never seen him play that I can recall

I also liked Soucey out of Minni, how do they compare?

5 picks after Nickie Jensen way back in 2011

Edited by lmm

46 minutes ago, lmm said:

always interested in a 6'5" 223# D-man

but never seen him play that I can recall

I also liked Soucey out of Minni, how do they compare?

5 picks after Nickie Jensen way back in 2011

Yeah, I have been reading about him over in the HFBoards (Sorry!:picard:) and the NYI fans just rave about him.......starts me wondering what it would take to get him, "IF" he is good enough?

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK........this guy is a number 3/4 RHD

Not huge point totals   12/19/13 point totals the last 3 years

Size.......6'5" 223 lbs

27 years old..........$1,450,000 for 3 more years....Great contract!

Are you interested?............

Very interested, but why would the Islanders trade him?  He’s well liked in the lockerroom over there, is a great leader, is basically their version of Chris Tanev, and has an awesome cap hit.

ps - I had him on my fantasy hockey team this past May:

Neal-Schiefele-Toffoli

Ehlers-Carter-Kapanen

M.Foligno-Pageau-Hartman 

Motte-Nash-Lewis

Dumoulin-Carson

Skeji-Mayfield

M.Staal-(I cant remember)

C.Hart

J. Halak

Edited by DarkIndianRises

NYI is under a bit of cap pressure due to Barzal's, Pulock's and Toews' RFA statuses but I have a hard time seeing them parting with Mayfield.  He's a regular for them so any replacement player for Mayfield (e.g. Dobson) would be at most a savings of about half of Mayfield's $1.5M cap hit.  It would be slightly less savings if Dobson is Mayfield's replacement.  I would think Mayfield is exactly the guy they would want to keep?

Hickey's $2.5M will probably be buried in the minors though that may be someone they would try to move since he's not even a regular.  I would think Hickey's $2.5M cap hit is low enough that it could be absorbed if a team still believed in him.  If they retained 1/2 of Hickey's contract, then comparatively speaking, that would cover Mayfield's entire salary and there's no replacement needed.

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Very interested, but why would the Islanders trade him?  He’s well liked in the lockerroom over there, is a great leader, is basically their version of Chris Tanev, and has an awesome cap hit.

Indeed why? And how much? 

From a Canuck stand point.........he actually has better defensive stats than Tanev is bigger, younger and fights

From the NYI stand point.......he will be replace soon enough, and is probably at his apex.......

I want to know how much? You bring up a good point! 

Stetcher had a better GF/GA differential in a lesser role, and even strength a little better even strength......but yes????

He is a very interesting option for a defensive defenseman.............especially at that cost

So how muchy? $$?

5 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

NYI is under a bit of cap pressure due to Barzal's, Pulock's and Toews' RFA statuses but I have a hard time seeing them parting with Mayfield.  He's a regular for them so any replacement player for Mayfield (e.g. Dobson) would be at most a savings of about half of Mayfield's $1.5M cap hit.  It would be slightly less savings if Dobson is Mayfield's replacement.  I would think Mayfield is exactly the guy they would want to keep?

Hickey's $2.5M will probably be buried in the minors though that may be someone they would try to move since he's not even a regular.  I would think Hickey's $2.5M cap hit is low enough that it could be absorbed if a team still believed in him.  If they retained 1/2 of Hickey's contract, then comparatively speaking, that would cover Mayfield's entire salary and there's no replacement needed.

Yeah.......I don't want Hickey, I want Mayfield

And the Islanders are looking for Offense? So can we help them there, for some defensive help?

Not sure NYI parts with him. With Boychuk slowing down and the fact they likely don't want to throw Dobson to the wolves right away Mayfield is a great piece to have. Pulock and Mayfield on the right side to slowly bring along Dobson and Bode Wilde. Toews and Leddy to hold down left side for the foreseeable future. They are looking pretty good. If they do move Mayfield to make room for Dobson/Wilde it won't be for a few years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah.......I don't want Hickey, I want Mayfield

And the Islanders are looking for Offense? So can we help them there, for some defensive help?

Not saying we would want Hickey but rather that I would see them try to move Hickey before Mayfield and that they have options to do that.  They have a good group of young D including Mayfield so I don't think the Canucks have much to offer them.

I think targeting Mayfield makes sense from a player standpoint - he's a good young D on a great contract.  It would be great for the Canucks.  If I'm not mistaken, Mayfield's one of their top-4 D (in terms of minutes) so I would think the price would be high just because of that and even higher based on his contract.   The only way I see NYI trading him is if they get a very good prospect and/or pick back so that they actually shed cap (even if it's only a bit).  The Canucks already gave up their 1st rounder this year and management seems to finally be focused on retaining picks so I would think that a deal would be difficult to make.  Would you want to see a Hoglander+ for Mayfield trade?  I think that would be hard to stomach, assuming NYI would even be interested.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

27 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Not saying we would want Hickey but rather that I would see them try to move Hickey before Mayfield and that they have options to do that.  They have a good group of young D including Mayfield so I don't think the Canucks have much to offer them.

I think targeting Mayfield makes sense from a player standpoint - he's a good young D on a great contract.  It would be great for the Canucks.  If I'm not mistaken, Mayfield's one of their top-4 D (in terms of minutes) so I would think the price would be high just because of that and even higher based on his contract.   The only way I see NYI trading him is if they get a very good prospect and/or pick back so that they actually shed cap (even if it's only a bit).  The Canucks already gave up their 1st rounder this year and management seems to finally be focused on retaining picks so I would think that a deal would be difficult to make.  Would you want to see a Hoglander+ for Mayfield trade?  I think that would be hard to stomach, assuming NYI would even be interested.

No to Hoglander before we see what he can give us..........

But the Islander need Offense and Gaudette may not be what we need (and his upside is a 60 point 2nd line center) See my other Thread about the Canucks re-jigging

and the Islanders have Dobson who will be getting more and more minutes as he progresses and Hickie as a stop gap.........they do not have a Gaudette in their system...so it "could" all work out "IF", Islanders and Canucks management agree (I say management, because both fan bases would think their asset has greater value.

Note...I would not have mentioned Gaudette a month ago, but honestly, he is stuck behind Horvat and Pettersson and he can not for some reason play a defensive role!

So, it might be a win/win here!................again see my other thread for a greater explanation.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No to Hoglander before we see what he can give us..........

But the Islander need Offense and Gaudette may not be what we need (and his upside is a 60 point 2nd line center) See my other Thread about the Canucks re-jigging

and the Islanders have Dobson who will be getting more and more minutes as he progresses and Hickie as a stop gap.........they do not have a Gaudette in their system...so it "could" all work out "IF", Islanders and Canucks management agree (I say management, because both fan bases would think their asset has greater value.

Note...I would not have mentioned Gaudette a month ago, but honestly, he is stuck behind Horvat and Pettersson and he can not for some reason play a defensive role!

So, it might be a win/win here!................again see my other thread for a greater explanation.

Does he fit their grinding mentality though?  Besides Eberle and Barzal most of their lines are grit and grind type players (Nelson, Pageau, Lee...) so maybe they'll play him on the wing?  It also depends if we're down to have Sutter as the #3 Center full-time, and can afford to trade the cheaper Gaudette.

If Wilde's all that he's made out to be though, would be great to get him (Mayfield would be great next to Quinn but again need to be realistic as to whether the Isles would want Gaud for their #3 D man)

17 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Does he fit their grinding mentality though?  Besides Eberle and Barzal most of their lines are grit and grind type players (Nelson, Pageau, Lee...) so maybe they'll play him on the wing?  It also depends if we're down to have Sutter as the #3 Center full-time, and can afford to trade the cheaper Gaudette.

If Wilde's all that he's made out to be though, would be great to get him (Mayfield would be great next to Quinn but again need to be realistic as to whether the Isles would want Gaud for their #3 D man)

Totally good opinion........but I think it comes down to fairness of trade.........who really knows what the GM wants

But a good point

I think the point is though....is trades will still be made and our young guys are just as good as others are

and as you fairly ask....is it a good fit? I think NYI's want to get more offensive

I could be wrong

as for grit.................I think every team wants it.....its a matter of balance

Edited by janisahockeynut

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

and as you fairly ask....is it a good fit? I think NYI's want to get more offensive

I could be wrong

as for grit.................I think every team wants it.....its a matter of balance

It's comparable to, would the Jackets trade Dubois (their top center) for Tavares (the Leafs' captain and one of two top centers) and vice versa?

The Leafs are soft as butter and unable to beat the blue collar Jackets, big part due to Dubois.  
As much as they would probably want to become more offensive it's questionable as to J.T. would fit and bring as much as P-L-D does.

After seeing Guddy as an enforcer, I'm not interested in any of our d-men fighting, ever again.  

Going down to 5 d-men really screws everything up.  It's not uncommon for them to give 5 and a misconduct, so I'd rather go after a tough forward that can skate.