The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Aug. 23, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think it was a plan at all...I think it was Rous acting on impulse and emotion.

Watch him score a few in this series.

Oh the faces of arrogance’s turned into stone.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As a Canucks fan, I’m really proud of this team.

Sure they lost yesterday. These things happen. That doesn’t (nor will it) lessen my appreciation for what this team is becoming. 

For sure,only up for this team regardless of outcome this season

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I agree with all of that. 

I have one irritation though, its that word, *young, being used to soften the landing by those commenting on the team. Maybe it’s just a rant too and I’m due for one, so here it is, sir. 

As for being young, are the Canucks really that young though, like throughout the lineup, are they actually young and inexperienced? I don’t like using it as an excuse. 

I think you can argue yes, but... outside of a few obvious young”er” players, there is a lot of experience there too. A lot. 

I mean to say that, as a generality being thrown around here concerning the ‘youthful Canucks’, I don’t think it’s really the case depending on how you chalk it up. Besides QH and EP, only Brock is eating up prime minutes. The Young core is, what, 3 kids, all over 20? What of the rest then? Are they young?

The D isn’t young, nor the net position, nor is the bottom 6. 

Sure, show us how they are younger than Vegas, but so?

It’s not like they have a bunch of 18 or 19 year-olds, these guys are 20+, with most of the playing Dcore being 30+, with Stetch being a tender 26, Fanta 28 and young QH, 20. - Since when is that a “young” Dcore?

Same with net position. Marky is 30, TD is 24. 

Jake is 24. 
Brock is 23.

AG is 23.

BH is 25.

That is the youth? Meh, I’m splitting hairs because I don’t buy the excuse that this is a young group. A few are, very few to be more accurate. 

Then there are the “foundational”, older players, who play most of the important minutes. 

IMO, the whole *young thing is not going to be used for many more months, let alone years. 

I agree that 'young' should not be used as an 'excuse'.

I'd also point out that the list of 'youth' is a bit longer - Gaudette, Motte, MacEwen (Demko).

As a group overall though - they have the necessary experience in the room - and a few of, if not most of those "young" players do not play a young game.  Motte might as well be a forged-in-fire veteran - he's one of, if not the most consistent, driving force on the roster.  Hughes has the composure and intelligence of a player well beyond his years.  EP likewise - here's an extremely talented 'young' guy that has torn it up when it's most difficult to do so - in playoff hockey - and he's done so while also doing the 'little things' - blocking shots, hounding the puck, being as physical as he's capable of - and realistically, he's going to get stronger and gain more stamina for a handful of years to come (that's the only real limit in some senses, imo - is that a few of these guys still have young bodies that will continue to develop).  Virtanen as well - is capable of a grown up game and built for the heavier conditions of playoff hockey - and we've seen what we expected out of him since Green gave him that carrot midway through the last series.

I think the one guy that looked 'young' in that first game was the captain (Hughes' struggle in game 1 imo was distinct/different in nature than Horvat's.  Horvat talked a confident pregame, but part of me gets concerned when I see that kind of 'next level' talk after one (or two depending on how you look at the MInnesota) series win.  "We've proven we're a good team" - that is the kind of quote that concerns me - it might be true to an extent, but it also indicates a bit of attachment to what has already passed - that isn't worth a thing when the puck drops in the next series.   For whatever reason(s) his game was not where it needed to be (and in fairness to him, none of EP, Hughes or Boeser had a single shot on goal in that game).  Maybe when we're talking 'youth' we might make an allowance for 'young leadership' - because regardless of the character/maturity of these young core players, it's nevertheless new territory for all of them, and in spite of their fairly advanced mental game (imo) - they still have a lot of room to grow physically - and  I think that the fairly epic experience of taking out a team like St Louis has to have some level of impact on them - no matter how wise they are, they've probably let it sink in a little, experienced the satisfaction of it, and got a bit distracted by it (perhaps even started believing they'd 'arrived').   

But what got them to this point was sheer, relentless work ethic imo - and it lapsed in game 1.  They had the 4 month reset/rest - but I still think the playoff grind might be a challenge for them as they get deeper into the amped up physical grind/intensity.

Basically I agree with you - people keep calling this "big boy" hockey - and that's what it essentially is - so it's time to step up to it - and an experienced mindset doesn't necessarily have that lapse in game 1.  When you face an opponent like Vegas, if you intend to take the series, you might not be able to give up a mulligan like that.  We'll see if they can convert it into a game 2 victory - if they can gain the split tonight, then the sky is their limit once again.

Edited by oldnews

On 8/24/2020 at 6:01 AM, IBatch said:

hmmm that’s a victim statement.   Fans “like that “ - the reactionary ones who freak out after every loss and hate on their coach and their goalie or whomever screwed up that game make us as a fanbase “look bad” way more then players like Roussel, Ott, Tikanen, Burrows or whatever pest a team may or may not have.   Roussel has done his job all playoffs so far / agree it backfired but this is making a mountain out of a molehill.  And at least he came to play unlike half the roster.   Watch the video analysis posted a page or so back - it broke the game down well and also talks about how hard fans have been on a good-great job in Debour and going with Lehner (who reactionary fans  are also hard on despite outplaying MAF and his 9–1 record).   

The only reason I haven’t called you out even more is because I’m worried I could be picking on a 12 year old. 

I don't care what we (the fanbase) look like.

I just wish you guys would put these annoying posters on "Ignore" instead of responding to them.

The only time I see their crap is when you (the greater "you", not you specifically) quote them.

Gives us all a break.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:39 AM, aznmonk said:

Swedish meatballs!!!!! This is our strategy go out first game. so vegas thinks this is a breeze and let their guards down and BAAAM canucks strike.... with  4-1 series win reverse psychology....

Ali’s text-book rope-a-dope!