Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Detroit -Vancouver (proposal)-Revised


J.I.A.H.N
 Share

Recommended Posts

Darren Helm (1 year at 3,850,000)..................Total actual cost $3,000,000

+

Kole Lind

for 

Luoi Eriksson (2 years at 6,000,000................Total actual cost $2,500,000 for 2 years ($5,000,000 total)

 

 

Canucks save $2,850,000 this year in cap space and $6,000,000 next year

Detroit saves $500,000 in actual dollars this year, and adds $6,000,000 X 2 in cap 

 

As much as JB says he would not pony up an asset....I am not sure about that......a small add...Stecher, maybe? ( I would !)

or

part of a larger trade?

 

Note: Helm could be bought out for:

 

- 1st year $1,850,000

- 2nd year $1,000,000

 

This is the move that Benning will do!

 

Benning's recent posturing is to soften Eriksson's Modified NTC (15 teams), IMO

 

 

 

 

Edited by janisahockeynut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Why would Detroit want to take on more salary and an extra year for a dead weight, esp. with no sweetener?

I do not know Detroit at all. However, if you are at the start of a rebuild and you are bringing rookies and young players, someone who can play defence and help you not get blown out of games is a good start. Keeps everyone trying and believing in themselves.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While Detroit has the space for it, I don’t see what they get out of this deal. Yes, they save money in real money but they bring in extra cap this year and 6 mil in cap for next year. I do think we could entice Detroit to do it to provide a solid veteran with leadership for their young team, but I see no benefit to them to do a 1 for 1. In my opinion unless Benning is willing to take back a terrible contract, or move Eriksson as part of a bigger trade, we have to add a pick or prospect on our end. Frankly if Benning can find a team to take Eriksson with a future 2nd rounder as the sweetener, I hope he bites immediately. He can use a player like Virtanen (who sadly seems like he’s becoming the odd man out) to immediately recoup a 2nd round pick, and that 6 million saved immediately allows us to re-sign 2 players (Tanev and Motte or Toffoli and MacEwen, etc.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I do not know Detroit at all. However, if you are at the start of a rebuild and you are bringing rookies and young players, someone who can play defense and help you not get blown out of games is a good start. Keeps everyone trying and believing in themselves.

There's a difference between being strong on defense and having a reputation for strong defensive play veiling actual passivity.  THAT'S what Loui was.
He does not get a glowing review for his season, in fact far from it: https://canucksarmy.com/2020/09/22/loui-eriksson
When you're a $6 million dollar man getting out-hustled by a hungry man in Motte who makes a fraction of your contract, and all you contribute is chipping out the puck from the zone (not just me but the article states this too), I don't see what kind of value you have.  Even if they sign Markstrom to play hero, the Wings don't have the same defense that we have and they'll probably leak shots at a historic level such that Loui'll show himself to be a pylon that fits in with the rest of them as they get blown by.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Helm's contract is up in a year vs 2 for Eriksson.  He is also only owed 3M vs 5M for Eriksson.  In this economic climate not sure teams are looking to add unnecessarily to their payroll or take on increase cap with no real benefit.

 

I'd think they'd prefer to move Abdelkader in such a deal (3 x 4.25M).  Longer term but lower cap hit than Eriksson.  More salary though but easier buyout.  Detroit saves money which might matter to their owners.  

 

Btw Stecher has arbitration rights which makes him far less attractive in a trade.  In arbitration the CBA does not allow to use the team or league's financial condition as argument - ie can't argue flat cap, drop in revenue or cap space.  Players can use contracts of comparable players to make their case but those were signed when the cap was still expected to increase.  It could lead to situations where the award is disproportionate to the new financial reality.  LeBrun, Friedman believe that quite a few RFAs could go unqualified this year as teams want to avoid the arbitration risk.  

 

I doubt Eriksson is going to enforce his NTC.  He'll probably accept any trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Helm's contract is up in a year vs 2 for Eriksson.  He is also only owed 3M vs 5M for Eriksson.  In this economic climate not sure teams are looking to add unnecessarily to their payroll or take on increase cap with no real benefit.

 

I'd think they'd prefer to move Abdelkader in such a deal (3 x 4.25M).  Longer term but lower cap hit than Eriksson.  More salary though but easier buyout.  Detroit saves money which might matter to their owners.  

 

Btw Stecher has arbitration rights which makes him far less attractive in a trade.  In arbitration the CBA does not allow to use the team or league's financial condition as argument - ie can't argue flat cap, drop in revenue or cap space.  Players can use contracts of comparable players to make their case but those were signed when the cap was still expected to increase.  It could lead to situations where the award is disproportionate to the new financial reality.  LeBrun, Friedman believe that quite a few RFAs could go unqualified this year as teams want to avoid the arbitration risk.  

 

I doubt Eriksson is going to enforce his NTC.  He'll probably accept any trade.

#1..........Eriksson can still play defense............and can in a pinch, for short periods play up to give a offensive line some protection

#2..........Helm is a slug, and has lost all his abilities

#3..........Stecher would be the best RHD on Detroit.....bar none

#4.........."IF" there was an add, then I suspect it would be in the vain of a Stecher, Leivo, type pro, or a DiPietro, Lind, Jasek, Brisebois type of prospect, as for picks, a 3rd would be plenty

 

I agree with Benning.......it will not be much..............

 

Also.......take a look at where Detroit sits as per their cap space........."IF" it was Abdelkader, he is owed $9,500,000 over that 3 years, compared to Loui's $5,000,000

and to me that has Detroit adding a prospect or a pick for us......

 

All, just my opinion...............as Benning does infer.............Eriksson has some value, just not $6,000,00 actual dollars per season. Helm has zero value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

#1..........Eriksson can still play defense............and can in a pinch, for short periods play up to give a offensive line some protection

#2..........Helm is a slug, and has lost all his abilities

#3..........Stecher would be the best RHD on Detroit.....bar none

#4.........."IF" there was an add, then I suspect it would be in the vain of a Stecher, Leivo, type pro, or a DiPietro, Lind, Jasek, Brisebois type of prospect, as for picks, a 3rd would be plenty

 

I agree with Benning.......it will not be much..............

 

Also.......take a look at where Detroit sits as per their cap space........."IF" it was Abdelkader, he is owed $9,500,000 over that 3 years, compared to Loui's $5,000,000

and to me that has Detroit adding a prospect or a pick for us......

 

All, just my opinion...............as Benning does infer.............Eriksson has some value, just not $6,000,00 actual dollars per season. Helm has zero value.

 

I think Stecher is more likely to go unqualified.  If LeBrun/Friedman are right there could be some interesting players hitting UFA early.  

 

Some teams are going to have to let go of some players for lack of cap space or internal budgets.  Could see Yzerman looking more for that type of deal than taking on cap dumps when they already have so many of their own.  As you point out it's easier to buyout Helm than Eriksson so Detroit could just do it themselves and instead try and maximise their cap space to go after unexpected players available and improve their team that way. 

 

The buyout window opens this Friday and free agency starts the 9th.  It should be busy around the league the next few weeks.  GM Fletcher thinks there's going to be a lot of cap in for cap out type trades. 

  

An Abdelkader buyout costs 6.33M and Eriksson is still owed 5M.  There's not even that much of a gain for Detroit.  Eriksson's contract structure doesn't allow to be bought out.  Helm's buyout cost is 2M vs paying 5M to Eriksson.

 

Edited by mll
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yzerman and Dorion are both in the catbird seats entering this off-season.   If Marleau - still a 20/20 player with one year left on his deal cost an unprotected first .... how is 2 years of LE for a guy who just gets buried for one year in the AHL in this economic climate make any sense?  I’d think LE would cost an LE back.    Maybe a Ladd but Ladds a better player - plays tough and a leader in the locker room (despite his AHL demotion last season)...but has three years left.   Wonder what NYI would give Detroit for that whopper.   
 

With so many teams in tough this year and new deals kicking in next season have to wonder what Detroit and OTT will do to take full advantage.   A few other teams too.    Vancouver will have steep competition - and it will come with a lot more pain then a deal like this.    
 

With Friedman saying a lot of these RFAs won’t get qualified and likely end up with table scraps - way lesser deals - maybe the smartest play is to let all three of our UFAs walk get their legacy deals - pay some to get your 1a goalie and then just wait it out.   Too much salary committed overall and more to come as some of the UFAs will get better deals then they were on for sure - the remainder - and there will be a lot of them - will end up like Gardiner last year taking a lot less then most thought he’d get and even better deals for sure.  
 

Our cap issues only happen if we sign more then two of them.    And really LE and Luongo’s money are desperately needed for our defensive structure more then anything.   Aside from AP nothing out there this year.   Too bad JB isn’t the team sitting there with a lot of extra cap space.   Well nobody is forcing him to spend to the cap either.   Think he needs to leave at least 3-4 in the kitty for next season and hope he does, unless he lands a huge fish (AP > then TT and Tanev for example).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mll said:

I doubt Eriksson is going to enforce his NTC.  He'll probably accept any trade.

I'm sure he would. But I think its clear this isn't going to be an option. Both Benning and Barry came up with no options the Canucks were willing to do. Best case now is Utica and maybe a final year buyout. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...