The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Day 2 - Draft Day Trades (Proposals) Benning's late night work

Trade #1

MAF $3,000,000 retained + NJ 2020 2nd

for

Benn

Vegas gets 4 million off the books, flips Benn for a 4th in a separate deal, and Vancouver trades Markstrom UFA rights. Vancouver saves $2,000,000 on Benn, and an estimates 1.5 Million on a Markstrom signing.

Trade #2

Markstrom's rights

for

Minnesota's 2021 2nd

Minnesota gets first dibs on Markstrom and their 2nd will be a little higher next year. Vancouver goes with a MAF/Demko tandem and protect Demko at the entry draft. Possibly only having to carry MAF for 1 year, if Seattle takes him.

Trade #3

Troy Stecher + Vancouver's 2020 4th

for

Detroit's 2020 3rd

Stecher is a great, young 4/5 RHD for Detroit, and only gives up the difference between Detroit's 3rd and Vancouver's 4th.

Trade #4

Roussel 50% retained

for 

Tampa Bays 2021 2nd

Tampa does this to replace players moved to get under the cap. Vancouver gets the 2021 2nd for retaining $1,500,000 per year for 2 years. Tampa will still be a contender for the cup next year, and the 2nd will be late.

Overall 2021-2022 savings = $5,000,000

Picks collected.............

NJ 2020-2nd

Detroit's 2020-3rd

Minnesota's 2021-2nd

Tampa's 2021-2nd

Edited by janisahockeynut

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

You rarely if ever see players rights get traded for higher than a 4th or 5th round pick. 

I agree with you, but Benning had better try if it goes that way.......

I also think Markstrom is at  the top of the UFA goalies and if serious, Minnisota and Ottawa, and maybe Detroit would all want the best. Especially thins year, when contract prices will be down because of Covid

I just think in any race, if you can get a head start, for cheap, you take it!

Trade 1.  Doesn't achieve what Vegas are looking to do.  They want to clear Fleury's full cap hit because they want the space to go after Pietrangelo.  Vegas are looking for a 3rd team to retain half of Fleury's salary.   They did a similar trade at the TDL where Chicago sent Lehner to Toronto before he was traded to Vegas with Toronto retaining a portion of salary (1.1M) for a 5th round pick.  This proposal only clears 1.5M in salary - far insufficient to go after Pietrangelo and uses up a roster spot on a D far inferior to Pietrangelo.

Trade 2.  The Wild are apparently in discussion with Vegas for Fleury per Russo but don't want to take the full cap hit.  They seem to be looking for a stop-gap goalie.  Russo says Wild are not interested in Markstrom.  Not a fit given he is already 30 and looking for a long term contract and is unlikely to take a bridge.  He's also going to have a lot of suitors and he knows it.  Don't see any team giving up such a high pick for his rights when UFA starts Friday.  

Trade 3.  Yzerman after the Staal trade says he is looking to acquire more picks by helping out teams with their cap space for futures.  Doesn't sound like they expect to be competitive next year.  Dorion says this is the deepest draft in the past 10-20 years and that's why it was so important to hoard draft picks for this draft in particular.  Lots of teams seem to be talking of the qualify of this draft.  Not the time to move draft picks for a rebuilding team like Detroit.  They are other teams looking to clear contracts.    

Stecher is also an RFA and the deadline to qualify players is tomorrow. Doubt a team trades a pick when he could be a UFA the same day.  Canucks might even announce before who they qualify or not / several teams have already announced their lists.

Trade 4.  Don't see Tampa or any other team interested.  Tampa can fill their roster at a cheaper cap hit with a prospect.  Don't see many teams interested in Roussel after his showing in the post-season.  Green played him less than 7:30 and he was also running around and getting reputation penalties. 

Benning has been really busy and has been trying hard to clear cap space.  LeBrun says no stone has been left unturned and he has talked to every team in the league.   

Edited by mll

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Trade #1

MAF $3,000,000 retained + NJ 2020 2nd

for

Benn

Vegas gets 4 million off the books, flips Benn for a 4th in a separate deal, and Vancouver trades Markstrom UFA rights. Vancouver saves $2,000,000 on Benn, and an estimates 1.5 Million on a Markstrom signing.

this one's interesting, If Marky chooses to reject the latest offer.

We could do a lot worse than Demko+MAF for our duo next year. Leaves lots of dough for OEL, or other free agents. 

Vegas doesn't need more left side d tho, so this might just need to be for "future considerations". 

7 hours ago, mll said:

Benning has been really busy and has been trying hard to clear cap space.  LeBrun says no stone has been left unturned and he has talked to every team in the league.   

I just don't see it happening, unless its part of an OEL deal. 

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

I just don't see it happening, unless its part of an OEL deal. 

Don't see Benning getting the 2nd round pick he talked about at the TDL.   Have a hard time seeing teams having interest in the players the Canucks are willing to move.  Maybe there are lateral trades - similar to Lucic for Neal or Pearson for Gudbranson, but I don't see cap clearing trades for bottom of the lineup players.  Maybe Virtanen can get something but Benning says he's not going to give him away which suggests offers have been underwhelming.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't see Benning getting the 2nd round pick he talked about at the TDL.   Have a hard time seeing teams having interest in the players the Canucks are willing to move.  Maybe there are lateral trades - similar to Lucic for Neal or Pearson for Gudbranson, but I don't see cap clearing trades for bottom of the lineup players.  Maybe Virtanen can get something but Benning says he's not going to give him away which suggests offers have been underwhelming.

it certainly looks like Jims finally going to have to face his cap decisions this year. 

I'm a little surprised some of the teams that have stockpiles of 2nd haven't made any deals yet. I don't see the logic in 4 2nd round picks tbh, vs using some of that capital for other deals. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Robert Long said:

it certainly looks like Jims finally going to have to face his cap decisions this year. 

I'm a little surprised some of the teams that have stockpiles of 2nd haven't made any deals yet. I don't see the logic in 4 2nd round picks tbh, vs using some of that capital for other deals. 

Was surprised that there was none yesterday with the number of teams willing to move their 1st.  Toronto (15th), Montreal (16th), NJD (18th and 20th), Philadelphia (23rd), Ottawa (28th).  

Expecting more trades today. 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, as usual, Jim did not take any of my ideas!

:picard:

My brother and I had a laugh because it appears he’s taking one of mine - that is let them ALL walk and do absolutely nothing ha ha ha.   Then find cheaper patch jobs, and come in with extra cap next year.   Let the team sink or swim (win-win, either a lottery ticket or somehow make the playoffs anyways) and then fill the roster out.   

Or

He’s waiting to close the OEL trade before he does anything else.   So far one thing is done by not doing anything with Stetcher so at least we have that to talk about...

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1