The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Taxi Squad

Rate this topic

Provost

4 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Yep... it all says “as if” in the minors...  it actually in the AHL, it specifically says they can’t even practice with the AHL.

I have seen nowhere that details how their actual dollars (not cap hits) are dealt with for those guys with one way contracts.  Do their salaries count towards the player’s share of HRR?  Are they subject to escrow while on the taxi squad?  

They must have negotiated all of this.  It seems unfair that guys on a 2 way deal making very little with their AHL salary but then also lose a bunch more to escrow.  It also seems unfair that a guy like Eriksson could benefit by being too terrible to keep on the active roster because he wouldn’t be subject to escrow.... though that would happen in an Irma season with an AHL demotion (but escrow has never been nearly this high).

Juggling the Cap, The Line up and Waivers

The other thread got squashed I guess because it mentioned the taxi squad

Waivers happened yesterday and many fans watched as the long awaited waiver for Eriksson occurred, but that is all that happened. There has been much talk about him being sent down to Utica, but really all those waivers by the Canucks yesterday have not been reassigned according to CF, they are still on the roster.

This is where the cap juggling is happening now.

Still over the cap, Hamonic is still on a PTO, even though it has been reported he has signed a contract it isn't showing on CF.

Eriksson and Barestchi will save on the cap hit by a couple of million but they cannot be placed on the taxi squad because once the team is cap compliant if they returned to the team their entire cap hit does too on a daily basis.

So Benning will have to convince the owners to spend close to 10 million on two players to not play on the team, with Ferland's bad contract that makes it close to 12 million dollars he must demand the owners spend to correct mistakes.

At this point, 8AM Tuesday, all that has happened is players have been placed on waivers, nothing else and Hamonic's contract does not show up on the NHL list or CF, so it is so far still a PTO.

55 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Juggling the Cap, The Line up and Waivers

The other thread got squashed I guess because it mentioned the taxi squad

Waivers happened yesterday and many fans watched as the long awaited waiver for Eriksson occurred, but that is all that happened. There has been much talk about him being sent down to Utica, but really all those waivers by the Canucks yesterday have not been reassigned according to CF, they are still on the roster.

This is where the cap juggling is happening now.

Still over the cap, Hamonic is still on a PTO, even though it has been reported he has signed a contract it isn't showing on CF.

Eriksson and Barestchi will save on the cap hit by a couple of million but they cannot be placed on the taxi squad because once the team is cap compliant if they returned to the team their entire cap hit does too on a daily basis.

So Benning will have to convince the owners to spend close to 10 million on two players to not play on the team, with Ferland's bad contract that makes it close to 12 million dollars he must demand the owners spend to correct mistakes.

At this point, 8AM Tuesday, all that has happened is players have been placed on waivers, nothing else and Hamonic's contract does not show up on the NHL list or CF, so it is so far still a PTO.

I think I am seeing it differently than you.

Capfriendly won’t update until the guys clear or get assigned to either Utica or the taxi squad.

Once the Ferland LTIR is maximized, we can suddenly exceed the cap by $3.5 million.  Each of Eriksson and Baertschi only save you a little more than a million while on the taxi squad.  There would be enough cap space for them to be recalled if needed.

I don’t see them being recalled often of at all though.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 3:31 PM, ‹(•¿•)› said:

The reason I think Loui will be kept on the roster is for financial reasons. This quote is from Harman Dayal in an athletic article:

"In all, Eriksson’s total earnings for 2020-21 are $4-million but with the 28 percent combined escrow and deferral slash, he’d only net $2.88 million before tax if he plays in the NHL. Escrow and deferral don’t apply in the AHL so it’s believed he’d earn a full $4-million in the minors pre-tax — a $1.12 million difference ($400,000 due to deferral and $720,000 due to escrow)."

I completely forgot about Hawryluk when making my roster. I guess I'd slot him in the taxi squad instead of Bailey? I think Graovac is a lock for taxi squad because of his versatility,  plays all 3 forward spots, and can play PP and PK.

Dayal’s comment is incorrect for this season.  

There’s also a 10% deferral and a 20% reduction in salary for players on 1-way deal assigned to the AHL.  IE they will receive only 72% of their salaries regardless of whether they are in the NHL, AHL or on the taxi squad.

From the NHL transition rules for this season:

Players with one-way SPCs on Loan to a professional league in North America will be paid their Paragraph 1 salary subject only to: (i) a 10% salary deferral (as further described below) and (ii) a 20% reduction in the remaining salary after the deferral. 

Similar provisions for the taxi squad:

NHL Players on one-way SPCs that do not include a Minor League Salary who are Loaned to the “Taxi Squad” will be compensated at a rate of 1/116 * 100% of their Paragraph 1 NHL Salary for each day they spend on the “Taxi Squad”. Such compensation will be subject to (i) a 10% salary deferral (as further described below) and (ii) a 20% reduction in the remaining salary after the deferral.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, mll said:

Dayal’s comment is incorrect for this season.  

There’s also a 10% deferral and a 20% reduction in salary for players on 1-way deal assigned to the AHL.  IE they will receive only 72% of their salaries regardless of whether they are in the NHL, AHL or on the taxi squad.

From the NHL transition rules for this season:

Players with one-way SPCs on Loan to a professional league in North America will be paid their Paragraph 1 salary subject only to: (i) a 10% salary deferral (as further described below) and (ii) a 20% reduction in the remaining salary after the deferral. 

Similar provisions for the taxi squad:

NHL Players on one-way SPCs that do not include a Minor League Salary who are Loaned to the “Taxi Squad” will be compensated at a rate of 1/116 * 100% of their Paragraph 1 NHL Salary for each day they spend on the “Taxi Squad”. Such compensation will be subject to (i) a 10% salary deferral (as further described below) and (ii) a 20% reduction in the remaining salary after the deferral.

Well if this is the case, then it would be really interesting to see if they actually demote Eriksson to the minors and test whether he reports.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well if this is the case, then it would be really interesting to see if they actually demote Eriksson to the minors and test whether he reports.

They didn't send Loui to the minors just yet.  Taxi squad is more likely for him for escrow reasons.  In a perfect world, he would be sent down.  It's up to the owner to make the call otherwise he would have to pay him a full salary in the minors rather than escrow reducing the payment in the taxi squad..  

5 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

They didn't send Loui to the minors just yet.  Taxi squad is more likely for him for escrow reasons.  In a perfect world, he would be sent down.  It's up to the owner to make the call otherwise he would have to pay him a full salary in the minors rather than escrow reducing the payment in the taxi squad..  

Did you not bother to read the post that was quoted in mine?  It literally shows the reference where he will be subject to escrow regardless... hence my comment on my post.

Edited by Provost

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think I am seeing it differently than you.

Capfriendly won’t update until the guys clear or get assigned to either Utica or the taxi squad.

Once the Ferland LTIR is maximized, we can suddenly exceed the cap by $3.5 million.  Each of Eriksson and Baertschi only save you a little more than a million while on the taxi squad.  There would be enough cap space for them to be recalled if needed.

I don’t see them being recalled often of at all though.

The savings from all would amount to around 5.5 mil, the current cap hit is 82.9 mil, only 1.5 mil over so the team would end up with 4 mil in cap space. But will any of those waivers happen? Ferland will happen and the team will get 2 mil in cap relief and for Hamonic.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Interesting,  no doubt this is a big part of the reason we've seen Loui placed on waivers.

It is interesting, as far as I understand this Covid CBA letter of understanding. The big item, the esgrow, is only when a player is in the NHL so if placed in the AHL there is no esgrow or any NHL negotiated item, he gets his full AHL negotiated salary, so in effect he gets a raise.

But that is salary and not cap hit.

Edited by Lazurus

4 hours ago, Lazurus said:

It is interesting, as far as I understand this Covid CBA letter of understanding. The big item, the esgrow, is only when a player is in the NHL so if placed in the AHL there is no esgrow or any NHL negotiated item, he gets his full AHL negotiated salary, so in effect he gets a raise.

But that is salary and not cap hit.

Great so knocking him down won’t entice him to quit....:picard:

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Great so knocking him down won’t entice him to quit....:picard:

He gets the same salary wherever he plays (NHL, AHL or taxi squad) - 72% of his salary.  The reference from the NHL official docs is posted above.

Although it’s technically not escrow (as there’s no revenue sharing in the AHL) it’s still a salary reduction to ensure players do not get more when demoted than had they played in the NHL.