The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Started from what I've seen spring 1918 (March first detected).   By summer 1919, the worst had run its course, but winter 1919/20 was a final wave that wasn't as deadly, according to some historians.

https://www.britannica.com/story/how-long-did-the-flu-pandemic-of-1918-last

Sounds familiar, but we didn't have world travel to bring us new variants every few months.

Just now, -DLC- said:

Apples don't fall far from the trees.....

You and your grandmother don't count as the majority. Even your poll reflects the fact that here in BC are not in favour of (along with Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Atlantic Canada).  Yeeha, Alberta.  

Polls can be skewed...I'd like to see how many people were included in this poll because no one I know of has participated. 

Actually as Stawns suggested, 100% of us are in favour of removing restrictions.  Of course.

The question was more like, when?  And two thirds of us want them removed now.  Break it down by province, town, home, if you want, but nationally that's a supermajority.  And the sentiment is rising.  We cannot politically or even fundamentally ignore that.

So the wait is almost over.

And no, my grandmother and I are both Liberal voters.  And NDP provincially.  I mean, my ancient post history here even called JT's ascendancy years before it happened, lol.  So that doesn't even work either.  (Although if we're not represented by our parties anymore, that may change.  I mean all this nonsense is pushing more and more centrists to the right, after all.)  At the end of the day this is what most of the public is feeling atm.  Two years?  Done.

Nor does dismissing polls in such fashion when they clearly indicate growing and well-expected and even planned-for public sentiment.

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Honestly, I don't think we're all that far apart. I think most of us see the end of many restrictions coming in the nit do distant future, and we all welcome it.  Its absolutely crucial that it's done right, not done fast.

Think of how devestating it would be if we took them all off and it spiralled out of control and we had to go back a year or more to get it all back.  I have no doubt society would crumble........is it really that big of a deal to just take a careful, measured approach and make sure that when we do start taking restrictions off, it's permanent (somewhat)?

3 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Actually as Stawns suggested, 100% of us are in favour of removing restrictions.  Of course.

The question was more like, when?  And two thirds of us want them removed now.  Break it down by province, town, home, if you want, but nationally that's a supermajority.  And the sentiment is rising.  We cannot politically or even fundamentally ignore that.

And no, my grandmother and I are both Liberal voters.  And NDP provincially.  I mean, my ancient post history here even called JT's ascendancy years before it happened, lol.  So that doesn't even work either.  (Although if we're not represented by our parties anymore, that may change.  I mean all this nonsense is pushing more and more centrists to the right, after all.)  At the end of the day this is what most of the public is feeling atm.  Two years?  Done.

Nor does dismissing polls in such fashion when they clearly indicate growing and well-expected and even planned-for public sentiment.

Quit playing games. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Again, two thirds of us don't want them off now, so let's put that aside.  That poll is the definition of confirmation bias.  No data scientist would ever take that poll seriously.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

So "done" or "almost"? 

2/3 of 1500 people.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Honestly, I don't think we're all that far apart. I think most of us see the end of many restrictions coming in the nit do distant future, and we all welcome it.  Its absolutely crucial that it's done right, not done fast.

Think of how devestating it would be if we took them all off and it spiralled out of control and we had to go back a year or more to get it all back.  I have no doubt society would crumble........is it really that big of a deal to just take a careful, measured approach and make sure that when we do start taking restrictions off, it's permanent (somewhat)?

Incredibly doubtful that we could convince the public that a spiralling out of control to devastating effect would happen.  As it's already spiralled out of control.  In late December.  No devastating effect.  It's not like this is our pandemic rodeo.  So the experts have to take that all into consideration as they reduce restrictions as needed.

7 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So "done" or "almost"? 

2/3 of 1500 people.

I guess ask the experts when they wake up from their nap?  We're waiting for the official call.

More data to consider...

Omicron isn't close to being our top issue anymore.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8490966/analysis-internal-government-polls-covid-19-attitudes/

Rated last out of 10 important categories we're interested in.  Jobs, cost of living and education rated top 3.  Main indicators that we're quite done with the pandemic here in BC.  Because we have to be.

Just now, TOMapleLaughs said:

Incredibly doubtful that we could convince the public that a spiralling out of control to devastating effect would happen.  As it's already spiralled out of control.  In late December.  No devastating effect.  It's not like this is our pandemic rodeo.  So the experts have to take that all into consideration as they reduce restrictions as needed.

You don't know what the next variant is going to be, it could make delta look like nothing.  We got lucky with omicron......so lucky and now we'll see omicron restrictions come off sometime in the next month or two, but if you think that were going back to 2019 in a matter of axmonth or two, I think you're going to be deeply disappointed.

I know enough people who were fully vaxxed, but didnt really think too seriously about covid.  Then they got omicron and it was a wake up call because they thought mild meant mild and they got hit hard and are now weeks past infection and aren't getting better.  The dumbest thing we can do right is think this is over and start celebrating before we got the finish line

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Scientists have warned that the next Covid variant may be more dangerous than Omicron. These scientists have cautioned against letting our guard down. The warning has come even as countries around the world gradually seek to relax Covid curbs and travel restrictions.

Just when the Omicron variant-driven Covid third wave is fading away, researchers at the United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA) have said they are officially monitoring a new Covid variant Deltacron, a hybrid of the Delta and Omicron variant.

In fact, the UKHSA said they have detected the new variant in a patient who was infected by Omicron and Delta variants, and they have included the Deltacron in the ‘currently under monitoring and investigation’ category in their official website.

According to reports, it is not yet clear how infectious or severe the Deltacron variant is or what could be its potential impact, even as investigation and research is under way on the reported new hybrid or super variant.

The new variant is believed to have evolved in a patient who caught both the Omicron and Delta variants at the same time. It is believed that the number of Deltacron cases in UK is low and in the coming few days, more information is expected to come out on Deltacron.

Authorities from United Kingdom, said that they are officially investigating a new variant, which is a hybrid of Delta and Omicron.

Given the recently acquired immunity from Omicron variant among a large section of the population, senior public health officials in Hyderabad point out that chances of new variants of concern triggering a full-blown surge appear remote.

However, at the same time, they also pointed out that the SARS-CoV-2 virus and its many variants are mutating at a very accelerated pace. “In the coming months, there could be a point where at least one new variant starts getting a foothold among the community due to its unique mutations. There is a definite need to be vigilant and focus on genome sequencing,” health officials here said.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I guess ask the experts when they wake up from their nap?  We're waiting for the official call.

More data to consider...

https://globalnews.ca/news/8490966/analysis-internal-government-polls-covid-19-attitudes/

Rated last out of 10 important categories we're interested in.  Jobs, cost of living and education rated top 3.  Main indicators that we're quite done with the pandemic here in BC.  Because we have to be.

Politicians are experts?  On what?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

More data to consider...

No, I'm asking you because you're talking in circles.

So are we "almost" there or are you "done"?  Because the world doesn't revolve around your impatience.

If you believe we're almost there then, like the rest of us, you understand we're not there "yet".

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

LOL quite a poll.....1500 people across Canada.  The majority of respondents don't necessarily represent the majority of Canadians.

image.png

Here are the numbers for BC -   Strongly/somewhat agree     Strongly/somewhat disagree     

1.                                                               52%                                         48%

2.                                                               48%                                          52%

3.                                                                47%                                         53%

4.                                                                41%                                         59%

5.                                                                38%                                         62%

6.                                                                36%                                         64%

The only question that BC residents agree with is “unless ICUs are hit by a sudden surge it’s time to drop restrictions.

These are from the poll cited by @TOMapleLaughs who says “Nor does dismissing polls in such fashion when they clearly indicate growing and well-expected and even planned-for public sentiment” yet clearly dismisses the Angus Reid poll because they tell a different story.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

More data to consider...

As expected, rules put in for omicron will likely start be relaxed tomorrow, but that's about it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8620236/bc-covid-rules-change-feb-15/

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

More data to consider...

I have to admit Tom you haven’t me busy chasing and reading your links  :lol: but when I get there I don’t see what you claim. In a brief scan nowhere could I see that Covid was last of 10, matter of fact it looks like 1 or 2 everywhere but Quebec and the Atlantic provinces (unless I’m missing something.)

The people examining the numbers suggest it is back to #1 for December because of Omicron.

39881B49-641A-4617-BA95-AFE696C9F95A.jpeg

D433972C-809F-46BA-B393-86F6F62DABE6.jpeg

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I have to admit Tom you haven’t me busy chasing and reading your links  :lol: but when I get there I don’t see what you claim. In a brief scan nowhere could I see that Covid was last of 10, matter of fact it looks like 1 or 2 everywhere but Quebec and the Atlantic provinces (unless I’m missing something.)

The people examining the numbers suggest it is back to #1 for December because of Omicron.

39881B49-641A-4617-BA95-AFE696C9F95A.jpeg

D433972C-809F-46BA-B393-86F6F62DABE6.jpeg

Same, though I do applaud him for supplying a source, most just ignore that altogether.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

Same, though I do applaud him for supplying a source, most just ignore that altogether.

True.

In many ways I don’t disagree with his basic premise but I feel like he and many others are jumping the gun a little. My gut feeling, and hope, is that the numbers do continue the downward trend and in the not too distant future that he can say I told you so

• Vintage 1