The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks enter player loan agreement with Manitoba Moose

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Ah I see.  I haven't been keeping up, so has the AHL been planning to play this year?  It seems like an unfair advantage that Toronto (Toronto), Ottawa (Belleville), and Montreal (Laval) can have their farm team in such close proximity, when the Heat had already gotten moved down to Arizona.  Wouldn't it help with tickets if, on an off night in the NHL, the team in Abbotsford could be within an hour's drive so that fans could catch games during regular times?  Also would think it costs more to jet players in and out in a city all the way across the continent. 

Season start is expected to be 5 February with training camp opening around the 25th.

No different than any US team that kept their affiliate close.   Travel distance is just more convenient in the East with so many teams closer to one another.  

Seattle btw is setting their affiliate in Palm Springs rather than up North.  If ever Vancouver decides to relocate they too might prefer being down South closer to the Pacific affiliates.  At the time they chose Utica the teams in the West were far more spread out.  Calgary, LA had their affiliates in the East.  

One of the major arguments to have their affiliate in Utica was to have more practice time with all teams pretty close to one another.  In Abbotsford they would be isolated.  It’s also cheaper to have an occasional call up travel over than needing to fly for each games and have the whole team stay in hotels on the road. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm confused as to why we don't negotiate for Abbotsford again?  That way they'd literally only be an hour away as opposed to needing to fly in.

The team considered the option and decided the cost of bulletproof vests for the entire team were not affordable

• Haha 4

MOOSE! Love it! Miss the OG moose jerseys... the ones Juice Kes and Burr wore... but I guess they had to switch to jets themed colours though...

I'm sure utica people are great but our farm team should really be in Canada to begin with. Ideally even in our own province - doesn't have to be close to Vancouver even. Could be Kelowna, Prince George, Victoria, whatever, somewhere in BC... Whistler?

... I've heard the argument that utica is great city etc etc but come on, the team would be better off in beautiful British Columbia. Sorry to any NY Canucks fans that this would be hard on, but it's what's best.

23 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm confused as to why we don't negotiate for Abbotsford again?  That way they'd literally only be an hour away as opposed to needing to fly in.

There is no AHL team in Abby! They have not been there since 2015.

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

There is no AHL team in Abby! They have not been there since 2015.

Yeah I know, but my point is that seeing how they were a viable location why we couldn't have gone back to them.
Vancouver had the Giants awhile back too and the crowds weren't too bad from what I remembered, and it sure would beat moving down to Arizona.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Wat 1