The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning, An Excellent Evaluator of Talent, BUT NO GM!

Rate this topic

Seeker1

52 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Juolevi gets a pass because of injuries and he’s looking good. 

You can’t discount things because of hindsight but also give credit because of hindsight.

I did a pretty exhaustive list above of who would have been picked by a bunch of other lists.

Virtanen and Juolevi are clear misses by any measure with any information we have up until now and ignoring wishful thinking future prognostications (Like Virtanen will become Cam Neely and Juolevi will be an elite 2nd pairing D).  Years out from their drafts, Virtanen is an inconsistent 3rd liner and Juolevi is a low minute, sheltered 3rd pairing D with only a handful of games under his belt.

Nylander/Ehlers and Tkachuk who most folks picked in those spots are just better... a lot better.

Just like Petterson is a lot better than Vilardi/Glass who most other lists picked in that spot.  Maybe Vilardi takes off and bypasses Petterson... but you can’t use that rationale because it hasn’t happened yet, just like you can’t say what Juolevi might become.

Boeser/McCann/Hughes are pretty much a wash because almost all the lists pick them if they were available when e drafted.  Podkolzin is too early to make any judgment on.

It is Ok to actually have a nuanced viewpoint.  It doesn’t have to be “Benning is a drafting genius and his mistakes can be ignored” or “Benning is the worst drafter and just benefited by having high picks”

The in between is that he is better than average at drafting... but has made plenty of mistakes too, enough to not give him a top grade.

Edited by Provost

33 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's actually quite funny how many people will react if someone said how about Peter Chiarelli, seeing what he did in Edmonton I get it, but both him and Benning were partners in Boston yet people think Benning is better after working below Chiarelli :lol:

I assume folks will have seen this article and the comparison with the Oilers

Benning's Canucks are starting to look like Chiarelli's Oilers - Vancouver Is Awesome

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Juolevi gets a pass because of injuries and he’s looking good. 

Agreed - he was an absolute beauty in junior - and drafted precisely for the qualities we are now seeing at the pro level - outstanding hockey intelligence, composure, ability to read the play, great instincts of where to be on the ice, when to take risks - he's a real pleasure to watch.  When they drafted him they knew he'd take time to mature physically - they didnt' know he'd suffer injuries obviously (no one / no GM knows things like that / anyone can get injured) - but they were decidedly playing the long game with that pick - and he's still only 22....

Thrilled with how he's performed this year - particularly on a struggling team.

46.2% ozone starts, 46.5% corsi, 1 goals, +1

13:12 ice time/game

2.6 on ice goals for, 2.0 against per 60

17 blocks and 16 hits in 15 games

Some secondary penalty killing duties.

Not sheltered, not 'easy' minutes by any stretch of the imagination...

Playing predominantly with Myers.

Performing with the composure of a veteran imo.

If we look at another 22 year old - that I'd love to acquire...

Cal Foote

74.1% ozone starts, 45.5% corsi, 1 goal, +1

10:28 ice time game

2.6 on ice goals for, 0.5 against per 60

8 blocks, 10 hits, 11 games

no pk duties

Playing with Sergachev, and secondarily with Hedman and McDonagh...

These are small samples (the only samples) but indications of the context they're playing in at age 22 - Foote on Championship team surrounded by talent, depth and the ability to win - both the possession game and games in general - is considerably more sheltered at this point, his outcomes are no better (in fact his 'possession' numbers are nowhere near as solid as Juolevi's.   Don't get me wrong here - I'd love to add Foote to this future blueline - but I think one takeaway for me - is that the organization's read on Juolevi's hockey intelligence - was spot on.  I couldn't care less that it's taken him time to arrive - the real benefits are in the future regardless.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1