The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A Look into the Future Cap Situation

Just now, Petey_BOI said:

oh you think, virtanen beagle and roussel have positive value? interesting

Nope, but when I say a bag of pucks, I mean a bag of pucks lol.  I think Virtanen could be moved for a pick.

Beagle and Rousell would have to go for a 7th round pick or future considerations (if even possible).

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

oh you think, virtanen beagle and roussel have positive value? interesting

Virt's a guaranteed buyout. Its possible to maybe move Beagle and Rooster with 1/2 retained and b-prospects, and as long as we don't overspend on Larsson we could slot in a Harmonic. Its all tight but possible. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Nope, but when I say a bag of pucks, I mean a bag of pucks lol.  I think Virtanen could be moved for a pick.

Beagle and Rousell would have to go for a 7th round pick or future considerations (if even possible).

that would be positive value, thats what i find interesting

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

@HKSR I like what you've done here, all but Larsson, for me he's really over rated and not worth the $. I'd rather just keep developing the right side with Woo and capable but not flashy players like Hamonic, who imo bring just as good a game as Larsson. 

I like Larsson simply because he can log the big minutes.  Nobody else in our system on the right side could step in and log the big minutes right now.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Virt's a guaranteed buyout. Its possible to maybe move Beagle and Rooster with 1/2 retained and b-prospects, and as long as we don't overspend on Larsson we could slot in a Harmonic. Its all tight but possible. 

I see 2 scenarios with Virt:

1. He's innocent -- trade him anyways as it'll be a distraction.  He will definitely get a pick back.

2.  He's guilty -- contract is terminated. 

Either way, his cap will and can be moved out.

• Vintage 2

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Brock's was $5.875 in a non-covid world.  Petey and Hughes at $6.5M in a covid world with a flat cap for at least a couple more years is more than realistic.  I dunno of any players that signed $8M bridge deals lmao

I dunno my understanding is that the agent Pettersson switched with (who incidentally is also Hughe's agent) is tough contract negotiator. And you don't switch agents in a contract year to take a discount. 

Edited by iinatcc

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes i could see that playing out. but those retained salaries add up, thats 3 million right there. we probably wont be able to do all that OP is suggesting

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I dunno my understanding is that the agent Pettersson switched with (who incidentally is also Hughe's agent) is tough contract negotiator. And you don't switch agents in a contract year to take a discount. 

It's not a discount.  It's market value.  There's no player in history that has signed a true bridge deal for that kinda money.  Tkachuk has probably signed the biggest bridge deal at $7M AAV for 3 years.  Others like Aho signed 7 or 8 year deals for the big money right away.

Just now, HKSR said:

I like Larsson simply because he can log the big minutes.  Nobody else in our system on the right side could step in and log the big minutes right now.

other than retaining Hamonic and 1/2 the price. I think he brings a more physical presence than Larsson who outside of picking on Hughes is pretty soft. 

We can find the minutes cheaper elsewhere imo.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

yes i could see that playing out. but those retained salaries add up, thats 3 million right there. we probably wont be able to do all that OP is suggesting

Could play the LTIR game... Ferland's LTIR buffer isn't being utilized in my scenario.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

other than retaining Hamonic and 1/2 the price. I think he brings a more physical presence than Larsson who outside of picking on Hughes is pretty soft. 

We can find the minutes cheaper elsewhere imo.

Possibly.  If that's the case, I think it'd be worthwhile to spend more on the LW position and a cheaper alternative on RHD.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

How so?  Could you elaborate?

when you start the season, you have to be under the cap or put the players into ltir before the season starts. either way you do not gain a advantage, merely a replacement. in almost every situation you lose cap space, and you lose other benefits too. LTIR players on your roster is a bad thing, except when you can use it to circumvent the cap and bring those players back in the offseason.

• Cheers 1

when you start the season, you have to be under the cap or put the players into ltir before the season starts. either way you do not gain a advantage, merely a replacement. in almost every situation you lose cap space, and you lose other benefits too. LTIR players on your roster is a bad thing, except when you can use it to circumvent the cap and bring those players back in the offseason.

I disagree.  Please have a good read of this to understand how it works:

https://couchguysports.com/the-nhl-ltir-explained/

nah, i know better. don't you remember this preseason and hamonic?

What about this preseason and Hamonic?

In my scenario, the Canucks are pretty much right up against the cap.  So their ACSL will likely be in the $83M to $84M range. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

In my scenario, the Canucks are pretty much right up against the cap.  So their ACSL will likely be in the $83M to $84M range. 

in the pre-season I made a mess arguing about LTIR. A few experts explained it to me i think MLL was his name. if you want to understand it better go to capfriendly.

just remember that the injured players salray doesn't disappear, it is replaced

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

or in other words, if  we had 9 players with a total of 81.5 million on LTIR we would still only have 81.5 million available in replacements. once those players come off LTIR it's trade time because they will be over the cap