The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] A Look into the Future Cap Situation

Just my take on our cap situation into the next few years.

For 2021-22:

- The big UFA splash of acquiring Larsson for $6M AAV, which means Edler walks

- Petey and Hughes sign identical bridge deals of $6.5M x 3

- UFA LW... thinking someone like Nosek for $3M AAV

- Virtanen, Beagle, and Roussel for bags of pucks (this is probably the biggest challenge)

- Sutter walks

- Holtby taken by Kraken in Expansion Draft, serviceable backup for $2.5M AAV

Gives us a 2021-22 lineup that looks like:

Boeser Miller Hogs

Nosek Petey Podkolzin

Pearson Bo Lind

Motte Hawryluk Highmore

MacEwen

Hughes Larsson

Schmidt Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi Myers

Chatfield

Demko

Backup

Cap202122.jpg.6831dec0a17f573cd2a3fcd16c5fb203.jpg

For 2022-23 and future:

- Boeser signs an extension at $7M AAV

- Bo signs at $6.5M AAV

- Miller at $7.5M AAV

- Key is to have most of the other contracts expiring 2024-25 to give a lot of flexibility to re-sign Petey and Hughes for the big contracts they'll likely command then, as well as Podkolzin's new deal.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Is that even possible?

Which part?  Unloading plugs like Virtanen, Beagle, and Roussel?  Who knows... that's literally the hardest part I would think of all of this lol.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Just my take on our cap situation into the next few years.

For 2021-22:

- The big UFA splash of acquiring Larsson for $6M AAV, which means Edler walks

- Petey and Hughes sign identical bridge deals of $6.5M x 3

- UFA LW... thinking someone like Nosek for $3M AAV

- Virtanen, Beagle, and Roussel for bags of pucks (this is probably the biggest challenge)

- Sutter walks

- Holtby taken by Kraken in Expansion Draft, serviceable backup for $2.5M AAV

Gives us a 2021-22 lineup that looks like:

Boeser Miller Hogs

Nosek Petey Podkolzin

Pearson Bo Lind

Motte Hawryluk Highmore

MacEwen

Hughes Larsson

Schmidt Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi Myers

Chatfield

Demko

Backup

Cap202122.jpg.6831dec0a17f573cd2a3fcd16c5fb203.jpg

For 2022-23 and future:

- Boeser signs an extension at $7M AAV

- Bo signs at $6.5M AAV

- Miller at $7.5M AAV

- Key is to have most of the other contracts expiring 2024-25 to give a lot of flexibility to re-sign Petey and Hughes for the big contracts they'll likely command then, as well as Podkolzin's new deal.

6.5 Million for Pettersson and Hughes as a bridge deal? Consider how much Brock's bridge deal was I think it's going to be at least 8 million to sign the both on 3 year deals. 

You willing to part with our 1st for Loui? That's what it's going to take going by precedent.

Also Edmonton has more projected cap than us. The squeeze is harder for us than them. So I dunno if we can poach Larsson that easily. 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, DSVII said:

You willing to part with our 1st for Loui? That's what it's going to take going by precedent.

Also Edmonton has more projected cap than us. The squeeze is harder for us than them. So I dunno if we can poach Larsson that easily. 

Huh?  He's included in the cap hit.  He's down in the taxi squad area of the spreadsheet.

35 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

6.5 Million for Pettersson and Hughes as a bridge deal? Consider how much Brock's bridge deal was I think it's going to be at least 8 million to sign the both on 3 year deals. 

Brock's was $5.875 in a non-covid world.  Petey and Hughes at $6.5M in a covid world with a flat cap for at least a couple more years is more than realistic.  I dunno of any players that signed $8M bridge deals lmao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Like your thinking, but Larsson is definitely not worth six mil, $5 tops.

Hey if we can get him for $5M in an open market, then I'm all for it.  I just placed a premium on his price because that's realistically what happens in free agency.

Like the plan.  Dont see us getting Larsson or moving those contracts so easily.  But this is most fans hopes (rather than realities).  

Myself, i consider Bo Horvat our most developed and valuable player.  Crazy to have him on the third line (of course he'd log PP time to up his worth).  

And Nosek loves the knights, hard to image him moving.  But i understand any decent second line winger fits that bill if the price is right.

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

sure, if you want to sacrifice the future to go all in this year

How are any of the moves sacrificing the future?  Literally no futures are moved at all lol.

@HKSR I like what you've done here, all but Larsson, for me he's really over rated and not worth the $. I'd rather just keep developing the right side with Woo and capable but not flashy players like Hamonic, who imo bring just as good a game as Larsson. 

3 minutes ago, CoquitlamDave said:

Like the plan.  Dont see us getting Larsson or moving those contracts so easily.  But this is most fans hopes (rather than realities).  

Myself, i consider Bo Horvat our most developed and valuable player.  Crazy to have him on the third line (of course he'd log PP time to up his worth).  

And Nosek loves the knights, hard to image him moving.  But i understand any decent second line winger fits that bill if the price is right.

I think it's more of 3 scoring lines rather than a 3rd line per se.  The minutes could be pretty evenly distributed as each line is a threat offensively.

Moving out the bad contracts is literally the biggest challenge.  Agreed on that for sure.

And yes, doesn't have to be Nosek.  Any decent Top 9 fits the bill.