The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest Conversation With Those Who Still Support Management

Rate this topic

JohnTavares

5 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

S'all good.

How does it feel to be so uneducated with something you spend so much of your precious time with?  Must sting a little.

Actually I don't spend alot of time on these things, Im to busy enjoying semi retirement at 53 while managing my many businesses. Doesn't sting at all. Your right about the education thing I didn't graduate

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

We're talking about management. You said JB left a good core... why would you attribute Horvat to that?  

You know who drafted Horvat right? It wasn't Jim Benning hint hint.

No shit, he did re-sign him though and was developed under Benning’s watch. So splitting hairs with that one honestly. 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No shit, he did re-sign him though and was developed under Benning’s watch. So splitting hairs with that one honestly. 

We're going to give credit to GMs re-signing their RFAs now?

If anything, Horvat developed in spite of JB's moves. Terrible rosters/culture, went through 3 head coaches, etc.

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Why do some think it's Gilles and JB that scout the players they draft?

They have a scouting team 

Even using HINDSIGHT who di the President Winning management scouting team  miss out picking that were obvious to EVERY Tom Dick and Harry that they should have picked being at the bottom picks of each round?

Using HINDSIGHT you can say JB Scouting team was horrid too with much higher picks and HIGHER failures

JB was left players from a President Cup team

We should have won a cup if not for bad luck

Using HINDSIGHT we can see no GM here or scouting team should be praised until they build a Stanley Cup team

I personally thought JB should have been gone 2 yrs before he did and the bubble saved him imo

Had he been I think we'd be farther ahead than where we are now and have remained since then

They’re in charge of who our scouts are and scouting under Gillis was horrendous, it improved a bit under Benning but still has a way to go. 

Just now, JohnTavares said:

We're going to give credit to GMs re-signing their RFAs now?

If anything, Horvat developed in spite of JB's moves. Terrible rosters/culture, went through 3 head coaches, etc.

He didn’t move him so he kept him as part of the core, but hey keep moving goal posts and patting your own back. 

Should we send you a masseuse too your shoulder must be getting sore by now. 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

They were never able to find good linemates for Horvat though, which I think is a pretty big failure. 

This even though Pearson and Horvat are a good fit in style Pearson is more if a 3rd liner who can slot in to the second line short term if top six injuries occur. Not really a permanent fixture in the top 6. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This even though Pearson and Horvat are a good fit in style Pearson is more if a 3rd liner who can slot in to the second line short term if top six injuries occur. Not really a permanent fixture in the top 6. 

Yeah Pearson is not good enough anymore. I remember Green would talk about how Horvat never complained about his lack of quality linemates, and how he was impressed by that. It is really too bad we never found him a playmaking winger.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

35 minutes ago, awalk said:

They were never able to find good linemates for Horvat though, which I think is a pretty big failure. 

Horvat rose despite terrible linemates and being thrusted into a role that he probably wasn't ready for.

They still haven't found good wingers that compliment his game.  A speedy playmaking winger that's good off the rush would be perfect for Bo... nobody fits that description in the lineup.

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He didn’t move him so he kept him as part of the core, but hey keep moving goal posts and patting your own back. 

Should we send you a masseuse too your shoulder must be getting sore by now. 

So we're going to give Jim Benning credit for not moving his stud center that he inherited from Gillis?

That's pretty funny.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnTavares said:

Horvat rose despite terrible linemates and being thrusted into a role that he probably wasn't ready for.

They still haven't found good wingers that compliment his game.  A speedy playmaking winger that's good off the rush would be perfect for Bo... nobody fits that description in the lineup.

So we're going to give Jim Benning credit for not moving his stud center that he inherited from Gillis?

That's pretty funny.

He became and remained part of the core. He was drafted by Gillis, developed under Benning’s watch. Follow along, its not complicated. 

Edited by canuck73_3