The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest Conversation With Those Who Still Support Management

Rate this topic

JohnTavares

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think the question is whether our key core guys (Petey, Demko, Hughes, Miller, Bo) are good enough to be winners providing they have an excellent supporting cast?  Can we build a good enough supporting cast, with those guys eating up the majority of the cap, to win?  

True, and maybe it could come down to the right coach as well?  I love Bruce, seems like a great guy, but I wonder how the Canucks would perform with a coach like Brind'Amour, or Trotz or Berube, etc. Not saying they'll ever get these guys, but maybe they need a coach who's not going to take any s*** and is more demanding. Bruce would make a great Kindergarten teacher. 

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

True, and maybe it could come down to the right coach as well?  I love Bruce, seems like a great guy, but I wonder how the Canucks would perform with a coach like Brind'Amour, or Trotz or Berube, etc. Not saying they'll ever get these guys, but maybe they need a coach who's not going to take any s*** and is more demanding. Bruce would make a great Kindergarten teacher. 

Good point about coaching.  Clearly Bruce is gone after this season.  

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Putting words into my mouth at the end a little bit. While I do like Boeser, I don't think he should be on this team. Nor do I think Miller should, or Horvat unfortunately. Re-signing him and hoping for a bounce back to try to mine value out of an asset that had none was 100% the right move by management this summer though.

What irritates me is the idea that this was a horrible signing they day it happened and it's been a failure ever since. It wasn't a bad signing, at the time it was a good signing. The majority saw it for what it was, a horrible QO and a down year. We needed to hope he rebounded so we could trade him for some value. Literally no one was even mentioning the idea of letting him walk being the best option. It was always a sign or trade, and clearly there just wasn't a trade available.

Sorry about that. I guess I'm changing my tune then cause he's absolutely useless now. I should have commented better and seen the truth previously.

I think it was an absolutely terrible move to try to mine value amongst the other moves that were made after. This I will 100% stand by. We were in too delicate of a position to waste money on hope but I thought we were taking a step back. If I were to know we'd waste all of our cap on more wingers I would have been dead set against this move. Which I am now. This is a hockey team, not the stock market.

Let's just agree it was a great signing that turned bad cause now it pisses me off. :P

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Sorry about that. I guess I'm changing my tune then cause he's absolutely useless now. I should have commented better and seen the truth previously.

I think it was an absolutely terrible move to try to mine value amongst the other moves that were made after. This I will 100% stand by. We were in too delicate of a position to waste money on hope but I thought we were taking a step back. If I were to know we'd waste all of our cap on more wingers I would have been dead set against this move. Which I am now. This is a hockey team, not the stock market.

Let's just agree it was a great signing that turned bad cause now it pisses me off. :P

That is something I can definitely agree with!

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hmm. maybe. Gillis was so terrified of doing anything at the end. Looked like a greasy drunken deer in the headlights. I think the entire league hates him so I don't know if that would fly.

Your comment reminded me of the before hiring and last press conference that Benning had as GM here. The before and after make no bones about it.  The job that these guys are hired to do, make you age and become a shadow of your former self. If I was JR I would retire before the job kills him. The boss sure makes them age. It’s really something else to be honest.

9DFC6D85-3FD9-48C9-AE91-11FBA2706896.jpeg

441F4142-7531-4D5C-B8A7-9C291CB40661.png

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

This. Celebrating your team is a failure because you predicted it is such a clown move. 

A clown move is blindly supporting a pathetic franchise for 8 years, and thus enabling the owner/management to continually sabotage this franchise in an attempt to get playoff revenue.  

That's the real clown move.

7 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

A clown move is blindly supporting a pathetic franchise for 8 years, and thus enabling the owner/management to continually sabotage this franchise in an attempt to get playoff revenue.  

That's the real clown move.

Stop with the gate keeping bullshit, you're not the deciding factor in who is blindly supporting the team and who who supporting them "properly" come off your arrogant high horse already. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:24 PM, aGENT said:

Poolman has concussion issues, Myers cap is fine but he's an ill fit on this team, OEL I have zero problems with, he's one of our few actual top 4 D, Pearson is out with hand surgery, Dickinson seems to be doing just fine in Chicago.

So yeah, a couple injured guys and... :bored: But great work necro-trolling.

You are both smart posters who are of different opinions. 
I am more in the school of thought that those are bad contracts. It doesn't mean it's trolling, it's just discussion. 

24 minutes ago, awalk said:

You are both smart posters who are of different opinions. 
I am more in the school of thought that those are bad contracts. It doesn't mean it's trolling, it's just discussion. 

Has not actually countered anything i wrote in two posts. He wasn't/isn't having a discussion.

He also necro posted all this stuff to troll.

I stick by my assesment.

• Cheers 1

On 12/19/2022 at 4:24 PM, aGENT said:

Poolman has concussion issues, Myers cap is fine but he's an ill fit on this team, OEL I have zero problems with, he's one of our few actual top 4 D, Pearson is out with hand surgery, Dickinson seems to be doing just fine in Chicago.

So yeah, a couple injured guys and... :bored: But great work necro-trolling.

If you have zero problems with OEL's contract, that's all I have to say.

It's not trolling if you're doing it to yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Stop with the gate keeping bullshit, you're not the deciding factor in who is blindly supporting the team and who who supporting them "properly" come off your arrogant high horse already. 

When did I celebrate the team's failure?

Please enlighten me. I wasn't celebrating anything - just looking back on some posts :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Very obviously patting yourself on the back you're not fooling anyone. :)

No doubt I am.  All the abuse I've taken over the years being critical of Jim Benning.... it's just karma coming around.

I'm moreso mocking those that were completely delusional about the state of the team.  I'm not celebrating the team's failure.... those are completely different things.

This team has been like the Titanic for the past 3 years... a sinking ship that some people were in mad denial about.  There are STILL people that are in denial about this team.

Edited by JohnTavares
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

No doubt I am.  All the abuse I've taken over the years being critical of Jim Benning.... it's just karma coming around.

I'm moreso mocking those that were completely delusional about the state of the team.  I'm not celebrating the team's failure.... those are completely different things.

This team has been like the Titanic for the past 3 years... a sinking ship that some people were in mad denial about.  There are STILL people that are in denial about this team.

The level that some folks here were 'dumbfounded' by any criticism of Benning I think warrants a look back on it all, given the state Benning and Weisbrod left the team in