The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDF: (1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (3) Tampa Bay Lightning | Lightning win series 4-1

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2021 at 11:30 PM

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well I don’t think a team shouldn’t be able to replace a star player with an NHL level player.

You gotta remember sometimes a players injury means they’re uncertain whether they’ll even be able to come back. In that case a team should have options to go out and spend a little. Maybe like 5-10% over the cap max.

The way I see it there are no guarantees in sport that can ensure you have the same/similar roster all season.  Things (injuries) happen and if a player gets injured that's a risk factor that all teams face equally (theoretically) and teams should accept that.  

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Essentially that’s what you would be doing.

The question would be how much can you go over the cap if the injured player returns. That would set how much a team can acquire at the deadline.

I would say 5%.  That's like adding a $4M player.

Edit:  but then that doesn't really eliminate the problem.  It just put a cap on how much you can circumvent the rules. 

Edited by BPA
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

I would say 5%.  That's like adding a $4M player.

Edit:  but then that doesn't really eliminate the problem.  It just put a cap on how much you can circumvent the rules. 

Well a team would have to have a legit injury so they’re not really benefiting that much.

I think you’d rather be healthy going into the playoffs than having to replace a core piece at the deadline.

Adding a 4 million dollar player doesn’t give that much of an edge either. Adding two 9+ million dollar players on the other hand…

Edited by DeNiro

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The way I see it there are no guarantees in sport that can ensure you have the same/similar roster all season.  Things (injuries) happen and if a player gets injured that's a risk factor that all teams face equally (theoretically) and teams should accept that.  

So you’re talking about eliminating LTIR all together. Or at least the way it’s setup now.

Im not sure of wanna see that but they could definitely look at changing the qualifications for LTIR.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:49 AM, filthycanuck said:

I remember Iafrate just launched a bomb on Troy Gamble (Kirk had the night off). Gamble didn't even move and the puck was in the back of the net. McCinnis and Iafrate;s shots, if they were using todays composites sticks, would be pushing 115 MPH

The sticks these days snap like twigs because players love to use the low flex to create a whip action.  Need a pretty long stiff shaft to rip shots pushing 110 MPH. Other than Weber nobody really bombs shots out there anymore. Canucks haven't had a cannon since sugar Sami Salo.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:19 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Paterson is the goals guy. Who will be the Canucks third line center to create more offence and scoring then is the biggest question.

Canucks don't have the assets to acquire a 4.5 million plus player unless they can move on Nate Schmidt.

Edited by Chip Kelly