The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDF: (1) Carolina Hurricanes vs. (3) Tampa Bay Lightning | Lightning win series 4-1

Rate this topic

2021 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Round 2  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Lightning in 4
    • Lightning in 5
    • Lightning in 6
    • Lightning in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2021 at 11:30 PM

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I thought they would of gone at least to 6 games.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it had, Carolina's a good team

Tampa's gonna be tough to put away though, I don't see NYI or Boston doing it 

Anyone else blown away on how hungry Tampa seems to be in the playoffs? Usually when a team wins the cup in recent years they get so worn out. They struggle to make the playoffs the next year. Tampa just seems to have another gear than most teams. This is not a team that is content with winning just one cup. 

30 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good for Hamilton calling out the Lightnings cap circumvention. At least someone’s brave enough to do it.

Wonder if he’ll get fined.

I'd be surprised. It's on the league, they had a chance to fix it and chose not to. Hawks did the same thing during what.. 2015? Kane was on LTIR and they brought in Timonen and Vermette. 

Tampa's just another league darling. 

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be surprised. It's on the league, they had a chance to fix it and chose not to. Hawks did the same thing during what.. 2015? Kane was on LTIR and they brought in Timonen and Vermette. 

Tampa's just another league darling. 

Did he return game 1?

I mean Tampa could have at least humoured the rest of the league and waited a few games.

The fact that they were both magically ready to go and looked 100% just made it a complete farce.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Did he return game 1?

I mean Tampa could have at least humoured the rest of the league and waited a few games.

The fact that they were both magically ready to go and looked 100% just made it a complete farce.

He did

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2182011/hamilton-hurricanes-lost-to-lightning-team-18-m-over-the-cap

It was always a farce.. fans, players, NHL management, NHL brass, they knew.. 

Tampa's likeable, fun to watch, and an exciting team, but if the NHL truly wants parity this shouldn't continue to be swept under the rug 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Okay.

All that means is Tampa is twice as guilty.

I think this loophole will have to be closed the same way long term contracts were. Tampa should be the last team to benefit.

All they need to do is set a max for how much you can exceed the cap, unless it’s a season ending injury. 

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay.

I think this loophole will have to be closed the same way long term contracts were. Tampa should be the last team to benefit.

All they need to do is set a max for how much you can exceed the cap, unless it’s a season ending injury. 

Agreed, the league allowed the loophole to remain but Tampa's definitely at fault for taking advantage and manipulating the cap. They knew after last season they'd be in cap trouble, this was in the works for a while. There was no guarantee it'd work the way it has, but clearly it's given them a depth advantage.

NHL 100% has to do something about this, it's tough being a fan of a team that plays in a league where favouritism is so blatant, and where certain teams are hammered while others get away with $&!#. I mean, Chicago got away with shipping away Huet back in the day too. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So they actually create a salary cap to address the economic disparity amongst the markets - now it's suggested they create more language around how much clubs can can circumvent the aforementioned salary cap they initially created to establish a more equal economic environment? 

Sounds exactly what happened when they set language around contracts and then gave every GM an out with the 'buyout' windows. 

Am I way off base expecting them to simply adhere to the cap, period? 

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

So they actually create a salary cap to address the economic disparity amongst the markets - now it's suggested they create more language around how much clubs can can circumvent the aforementioned salary cap they initially created to establish a more equal economic environment? 

Sounds exactly what happened when they set language around contracts and then gave every GM an out with the 'buyout' windows. 

Am I way off base expecting them to simply adhere to the cap, period? 

Well then you would have to pretty much do away with LTIR all together.

If there’s a legit long term injury a team should be able to go slightly over the cap in order to replace that player.

Going like 20% over the cap is just ridiculous.

Edited by DeNiro

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well then you would have to pretty much do away with LTIR all together.

If there’s a legit long term injury a team should be able to go slightly over the cap in order to replace that player.

Going like 20% over the cap is just ridiculous.

Or just make it that salary cap extends into the playoffs as well and not just the regular season. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Isn't that the exact reason AHL affiliates exist - to develop and supply players to the parent club if/when injuries occur? 

To me, there are very, very easy ways to fix these issues (cap circumvention) but GM's/owners don't have the will because it's perceived that they may limit a team's competitive advantage - and so the transgressions are 'overlooked' and certain teams have zero compunction about exploiting them unfortunately. 

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

Or just make it that salary cap extends into the playoffs as well and not just the regular season. 

Essentially that’s what you would be doing.

The question would be how much can you go over the cap if the injured player returns. That would set how much a team can acquire at the deadline.

Edited by DeNiro

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Okay.

Maybe have a rule if they haven't played a single game before the TDL, they're not eligible for the playoffs. Of course that means they could play 1 game and be done, but they have to make the cap work for that one day.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Isn't that the exact reason AHL affiliates exist - to develop and supply players to the parent club if/when injuries occur? 

To me, there are very, very easy ways to fix these issues (cap circumvention) but GM's/owners don't have the will because it's perceived that they may limit a team's competitive advantage - and so the transgressions are 'overlooked' and certain teams have zero compunction about exploiting them unfortunately. 

Well I don’t think a team shouldn’t be able to replace a star player with an NHL level player.

You gotta remember sometimes a players injury means they’re uncertain whether they’ll even be able to come back. In that case a team should have options to go out and spend a little. Maybe like 5-10% over the cap max.