The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sabre legend and member of "French Connection", Rene Robert passes away at age 72

Rate this topic

40 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

since the Canucks stunk so badly while I was growing up, I used to pretend to be Rene and the french connection line while playing street hockey. ( when I wasn't Bobby Orr)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It sucks getting old, seeing legends you looked up to as a kid, all of them passing away. RIP and condolences to his family and friends. 

I know how you feel...the French Connection were unreal, especially the season the Sabres went to the finals vs. the Flyers.  Rene Robert was such an integral part of that team and line. 

I remember the 1975 Stanley Cup Finals like it was yesterday...I was 9 years old and home from school for 10 days during the finals with chicken pox as a nine year old.  Stanley Cup Finals were played in the early spring (unlike now), and there was snow in Winnipeg on one of the game nights (and I couldn't get over how hot it must have been in Buffalo for fog to set in at the old Buffalo Auditorium).  I was upset with the Sabres for knocking out my favorite team at the time, the Montreal Canadiens, but found myself cheering for them in the finals vs. the Flyers. 

Now, I'm 55 years old and am saddened to hear the news of Rene Robert's passing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1