The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Two week forecast!!!

With the expansion draft, Entry draft, and Free Agency all set to occur in the next two weeks things are going to get crazy for many NHL clubs, and I predict this will include the Canucks.

First of all, the Canucks are poised to improve their roster as they have 1 and maybe 2 spots on their protection list that could be vastly improved. They're a few teams out there that stand to loose a very good player for nothing. Some GM's will be fine with that as they'll loose only one player, but in the case of Tampa, they'll loose a good player and still be way over the cap, so they'll be looking to shed a few players. To be honest with you there will be countless teams lined up to expose these vulnerable teams and the asking price will be way to high for the Canucks to effectively maximize their offerings...9th OA pick. So this leaves the trade route, and I believe there is already a deal in place which involves our first and DiPietro for Sam Rienhart.

This deal is contingent on who is available when that 9th pick is on the clock, as Buffalo loves McTavish. This deal will be announced on the draft floor.

From there the Canucks will look to the UFA market to pick up their RD, and with a flat cap, JB will sign A. Larsson from the Oilers to a 6 year deal at 5.5 million per year. JB has recently made offers to Edler and Hammonic, which if he manages to sign one of the two I hope it's Hamonic because he would look amazing with Rathbone as the second pair.

The last piece is the Nate Schmidt Sega. Schmidt wants out, and never actually wanted to be here, the truth is in how he played- terrible. He doesn't want to play in Canada, but would love the opportunity to be a number one or two on a team like Columbus. With Seth Jones looking to go to market in the near future, Schmidt could be a viable option-with cost certainty, and stability that the Blue Jackets will be looking for. The Canucks flip Schmidt for Jack Roslovic and a 5th. Roslovic has one more year at 1.8 million which makes him a perfect fit for the Canucks, not to mention he would be that perfect third line center.

In summary,

Miller- Pettersson- Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Rienhart                        Top 6 looks very legit!!!!

Pearson - Roslovic- Podkolzin                       Oh look a third line that can score and compete!!!!!

Motte -  Graovac - Lockwood/ Mackewen/ Highmore       A fourth line that can crash, get in on the forecheck, and add a goal every 2-3 games.

Hughes - Larsson                                         Strong first pair defender tandem. Should be better than Hughes/Tanev combo.

Rathbone - Hamonic                                     Hamonic is sound enough that Rathbone takes a massive step and is in the Rookie of the year talks.

OJ/Edler - Myers                                            If Edler is back, this might be the best third pair in the league, if not, Myers helps develop OJ into the next Edler.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

We need a 2 way center, no Granlunds and Roslovics please 

Granlund and Roslovic do play a 200' game, but they also provide a playmaking piece that allows for the third line to provide scoring as well. All good teams in the NHL have three lines that can contribute.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The King said:

With the expansion draft, Entry draft, and Free Agency all set to occur in the next two weeks things are going to get crazy for many NHL clubs, and I predict this will include the Canucks.

First of all, the Canucks are poised to improve their roster as they have 1 and maybe 2 spots on their protection list that could be vastly improved. They're a few teams out there that stand to loose a very good player for nothing. Some GM's will be fine with that as they'll loose only one player, but in the case of Tampa, they'll loose a good player and still be way over the cap, so they'll be looking to shed a few players. To be honest with you there will be countless teams lined up to expose these vulnerable teams and the asking price will be way to high for the Canucks to effectively maximize their offerings...9th OA pick. So this leaves the trade route, and I believe there is already a deal in place which involves our first and DiPietro for Sam Rienhart.

This deal is contingent on who is available when that 9th pick is on the clock, as Buffalo loves McTavish. This deal will be announced on the draft floor.

From there the Canucks will look to the UFA market to pick up their RD, and with a flat cap, JB will sign A. Larsson from the Oilers to a 6 year deal at 5.5 million per year. JB has recently made offers to Edler and Hammonic, which if he manages to sign one of the two I hope it's Hamonic because he would look amazing with Rathbone as the second pair.

The last piece is the Nate Schmidt Sega. Schmidt wants out, and never actually wanted to be here, the truth is in how he played- terrible. He doesn't want to play in Canada, but would love the opportunity to be a number one or two on a team like Columbus. With Seth Jones looking to go to market in the near future, Schmidt could be a viable option-with cost certainty, and stability that the Blue Jackets will be looking for. The Canucks flip Schmidt for Jack Roslovic and a 5th. Roslovic has one more year at 1.8 million which makes him a perfect fit for the Canucks, not to mention he would be that perfect third line center.

In summary,

Pearson - Roslovic- Podkolzin                       Oh look a third line that can score and compete!!!!!

Motte -  Graovac - Lockwood/ Mackewen/ Highmore       A fourth line that can crash, get in on the forecheck, and add a goal every 2-3 games.

Hughes - Larsson                                         Strong first pair defender tandem. Should be better than Hughes/Tanev combo.

Rathbone - Hamonic                                     Hamonic is sound enough that Rathbone takes a massive step and is in the Rookie of the year talks.

OJ/Edler - Myers                                            If Edler is back, this might be the best third pair in the league, if not, Myers helps develop OJ into the next Edler.

This is good stuff!

Get ‘er done Benning.  

1 hour ago, The King said:

Granlund and Roslovic do play a 200' game, but they also provide a playmaking piece that allows for the third line to provide scoring as well. All good teams in the NHL have three lines that can contribute.

Barclay Goodrow or Boone Jenner 

50 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Our 9OA aint going nowhere unless erikksons  contract is also involved otherwise no we aint moving it.

Sorry, we're not going to get rid of erikkson's contract this year, but look what we have to look forward to for next year. Erikkson, Luongo's, Beagles, and Roussel's deals off our cap. Feels good...

5 hours ago, The King said:

In summary,

Strong enough line-up but I’d have to see how this would work from a cap perspective.   

I also like your idea of keeping Edler just in case Rathbone isn’t quite ready for 2nd pairing duty.

Still - I’m not sure if the above works from a cap perspective.

3 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Our 9OA aint going nowhere unless erikksons  contract is also involved otherwise no we aint moving it.

Which kind of goes back to my point in another thread.   If someone is willing to take on Eriksson and one of Beagle or Roussel to clear up 9 million, do you bite?   I know a lot of people disagreed with my stance in that thread, but I probably would bite on that.

3 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Which kind of goes back to my point in another thread.   If someone is willing to take on Eriksson and one of Beagle or Roussel to clear up 9 million, do you bite?   I know a lot of people disagreed with my stance in that thread, but I probably would bite on that.

Its the only way i approve of us trading that pick otherwise rather just keep the pick. If you want our pick YOU ARE GONNA HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Granlund is a two way center.

My bad, you guys are probably right and I haven’t followed him enough. Just seemed weird how he was moved outta Minnesota and only signed a one year show me deal last time.

Roslovic I’m definitely not sold on though. From what I’ve watched and read he doesn’t have a 2 Way. If he was good in his own end Torts would have played him 22 minutes a night lol

• Cheers 1