The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) "Agressive" offseason #5 we can do it?

Dickinson has got me hungry to make another proposal.

we make some trades.

Roussel out, Dipietro out and a 5th for detroits 3rd.

Holtby to seattle, they make us give a 5th

Major Signings

Hakanpaa Big guy that can hit and kill penalties

Hamonic  Hughes partner

Wennberg We can't afford a major d splash this year so we will upgrade at 3c or he can play 2lw with bo

Hughes and petey 3x6m bridge's

Juolevi 7th d

Paquette Injury depth and can start on the 4th, motte wannabe

Broissoit Our new backup

this gives us solid forward lines and we can make a major upgrade on D next year (Jones) and have room to give Boeser his 7M and upgrade  beagle into a top 6 player rental

Free Agent Signings
RFA YEARS CAP HIT
Dickinson, Jason 3 $2,600,000
Lind, Kole 2 $900,000
Pettersson, Elias 3 $6,000,000
Hughes, Quinn 3 $6,000,000
Juolevi, Olli 2 $875,000
Hawryluk, Jayce 2 $855,000
UFA YEARS CAP HIT
Brossoit, Laurent 2 $2,000,000
Hakanpää, Jani 3 $2,400,000
Hamonic, Travis 1 $2,400,000
Paquette, Cédric 2 $1,200,000
Wennberg, Alexander 4 $4,875,000
Trades

VAN

expansion pick

SEA

1. Holtby, Braden
  2. 2021 5th round pick (CHI)

VAN

1. 2021 3rd round pick (VGK)

DET

1. DiPietro, Michael
  2. Roussel, Antoine
  3. 2021 5th round pick (VAN)

Buyouts
  • Jake Virtanen: $50,000
Recapture Fees
  • Roberto Luongo: $3,035,212
Buried
  • Loui Eriksson: $4,875,000 ($6,000,000)

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES q2.svg BONUSES CAP SPACE
22 $81,500,000 $81,475,659 $648,780 $1,900,000 $24,341
Left Wing Center Right Wing
VAN
Miller, J.T.
$5,250,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
VAN
Horvat, Bo
$5,500,000
C
UFA - 2
VAN
Boeser, Brock
$5,875,000
RW
RFA - 1
VAN
Pearson, Tanner
$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
VAN
Pettersson, Elias
$6,000,000
C
RFA
VAN
Höglander, Nils
$891,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
VAN
Dickinson, Jason
$2,600,000
C, LW
RFA
Wennberg, Alexander
$4,875,000
C
UFA
VAN
Podkolzin, Vasily
$925,000
RW
RFA - 3
VAN
Motte, Tyler
$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
VAN
Beagle, Jay
$3,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 1
Paquette, Cédric
$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA
Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
VAN
Schmidt, Nate
$5,950,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 4
VAN
Myers, Tyler
$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
VAN
Demko, Thatcher
$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
VAN
Rathbone, Jack
$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
Hakanpää, Jani
$2,400,000
RD
UFA
Brossoit, Laurent
$2,000,000
G
UFA
VAN
Hughes, Quinn
$6,000,000
LD
RFA
VAN
Hamonic, Travis
$2,400,000
RD
UFA

Scratches Injured Reserve (IR) Long Term IR (LTIR)
VAN
Highmore, Matthew
$725,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1

VAN
Ferland, Micheal
$3,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 2
VAN
Juolevi, Olli
$875,000
LD
RFA

• Cheers 1

The problem with Benning is he's too open. And he telegraphs his plans. I wish he'd just be like Gillis and just sit there and sweat and say no comment. 

People jump on his comments.

Things like. "Foundational player" "Being Aggressive" in the offseason.

Stop feeding the machine. 

Or be like a politician ramble on for 3 minutes and not really say anything. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The problem with Benning is he's too open. And he telegraphs his plans. I wish he'd just be like Gillis and just sit there and sweat and say no comment. 

People jump on his comments.

Things like. "Foundational player" "Being Aggressive" in the offseason.

Stop feeding the machine. 

Or be like a politician ramble on for 3 minutes and not really say anything. 

I like benning he has a very honest demeanor maybe to a fault. It would be better if he had burke's/gillis's demeanor i admit.

I think the aggressiveness is complete, and we will not make any other moves until maybe just before Free agency.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Wennberg will cost too much.  Hakanpaa would be a great signing and I would overpay to get him.  I'm okay with Hamonic coming back as long as the number is good, but I'd rather trade for a younger RHD stud that can partner Hughes for the next decade...

I would rather target a true top pairing defenceman next year, we definitely cant afford that top pairing now and larrson/savard is only a slight upgrade on hamonic.

I could be wrong but I believe wennberg is the type of depth that would be good for this team. he could step into the top 6 very comfortably

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I would rather target a true top pairing defenceman next year, we definitely cant afford that top pairing now and larrson/savard is only a slight upgrade on hamonic.

I could be wrong but I believe wennberg is the type of depth that would be good for this team. he could step into the top 6 very comfortably

We will definitely have more money next year.  However, if we sign Hamonic he is going to want term this time around.  3-4 years most likely.  So we would need to keep him around.  Wennberg is a good player but is probably going to get $4 million+ on the open market.  I'd rather spend that money on upgrading the D.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We will definitely have more money next year.  However, if we sign Hamonic he is going to want term this time around.  3-4 years most likely.  So we would need to keep him around.  Wennberg is a good player but is probably going to get $4 million+ on the open market.  I'd rather spend that money on upgrading the D.

if thats true that hamonic wouldn't sign a 1 year deal then I would go after maybe gologoski for a 1 year deal and sign a 3c with whats remaining maybe another older player like krejci

5 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

if thats true that hamonic wouldn't sign a 1 year deal then I would go after maybe gologoski for a 1 year deal and sign a 3c with whats remaining maybe another older player like krejci

Krejci can still play.  He'll get $4 million+.  Goligoski is a little small.

This is the kind of off-season plan I was hoping for. Not trading 1st or second picks unless it absolutely makes sense. We can really improve the team next year by being cautious this year. (cap) I think this is a realistic approach. 

I would love to see Petey and Hughes sign long term though. That would be very beneficial for future seasons.

I do agree with @Ghostsof1915 though. Benning is too honest and isn’t very good at interviews lol. Not in a real bad way. I actually like his approach but it does feed the monsters. People really suck a reading between the lines. Things like “Ran outta time” “Aggressive” “foundational” People just eat it up. When really he’s just trying to communicate with the fans the best he can which seems to blow up in his face most of the time haha

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Really uncomfortable giving a 3rd line guy almost 5 mill tbh.

if dickie is as good as the numbers show id rather he play center for us to cause more turnovers and able to freely skate around stealing pucks like a center should

in florida he played 18 minutes a night

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Sure but do you really think he would get close to that in van? Why would we play him more than petey or Bo?

well he can also jump on to the ice to play PP and PK. and why not jump into 2nd line for key draws in the offensive zone, just in case as a backup.

sutter got 15ish minutes a night, i'm sure we could find 4 more shifts for him.

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Why no love for Lockwood? Though he looked good, when he got the opportunity... I hope to see him on the team next season.

I'm not pencilling in any of our prospects, They can fight for a spot if they can't beat paquette,highmore then tough cookies.

we really need playoff experience next year so our young players are ready for a run the next year after.

if the rookies out play paquette or highmore they will get a shot, otherwise they start in the AHL so they can develop

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

I'm not pencilling in any of our prospects, They can fight for a spot if they can't beat paquette,highmore then tough cookies.

we really need playoff experience next year so our young players are ready for a run the next year after.

if the rookies out play paquette or highmore they will get a shot, otherwise they start in the AHL so they can develop

I agree they have to earn the right, always...

I do think Lockwood will be on the roster from day 1 though. Time will tell... 

• Cheers 1

i think benning knows who he wants. he said, they need to free up more cap space. i'ld love mathieu joseph to complete our forwards, hamonic signed for 3 years at 2.5 mil and and a replacement for schmidt if need be. trade or lose holtby, buyout both virtanen and roussel. bury louie and beagle for a year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Benning desperately needs to shed salary.

Just read on a Red Wings fan board (Detroit Jock City), a deal was suggested to take on Schmidt's contract (almost $6)

to DET - Schmidt and Hoglander (the sweetener)

to VAN - 4th and a 6th (2022)

Something like this would be really tough to take. I know Benning needs to be aggressive, but there must be another way.

• Haha 1