The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

10 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Two very promising RHD prospect in the top end of the draft this year. Let’s prey we finally fill that hole through the draft this year. 

You want to fill a hole three or four years down the road when the hole is there right now? What kind of backward logic is this?

4 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

You want to fill a hole three or four years down the road when the hole is there right now? What kind of backward logic is this?

We haven’t drafted a RHD prospect in the first round since? Jiri Sleger? It’s time we focus on it. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

this kind of logic.

1 hour ago, KyGuy123 said:

We haven’t drafted a RHD prospect in the first round since? Jiri Sleger? It’s time we focus on it. 

Name the best RHD's in Franchise history aaaaaaand go......... No offence to Bieksa and Tanev. But in 50+ years yikes. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think if we are sitting in the # 5 to 7 spot in the draft, we "could" trade the pick to another team, that has a RHD coming off of their ELC, and the team hard to the cap. aka Dobson for our pick.

I would certainly, let greater minds than mine determine, if the up side of Dobson is that of Nemec or Jiricek. The reason why the Islanders does it, is Dobson comes off his ELC this year.............does he fit our need? @HighOnHockey

I think "IF" this works, than we do it, "IF" available. Is there any other teams in the same boat? I still think NY Rangers may be a target as well. How, I am not sure, but our target should be Schneider, plus ????? Depending on who it is, or is it part of a bigger trade?

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

13 hours ago, hammertime said:

this kind of logic.

Name the best RHD's in Franchise history aaaaaaand go......... No offence to Bieksa and Tanev. But in 50+ years yikes. 

"it is time we focus on it"? To compensate for past weaknesses? I'm sorry but forget about bad logic, that is no logic at all.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think if we are sitting in the # 5 to 7 spot in the draft, we "could" trade the pick to another team, that has a RHD coming off of their ELC, and the team hard to the cap. aka Dobson for our pick.

I would certainly, let greater minds than mine determine, if the up side of Dobson is that of Nemec or Jiricek. The reason why the Islanders does it, is Dobson comes off his ELC this year.............does he fit our need? @HighOnHockey

I think "IF" this works, than we do it, "IF" available. Is there any other teams in the same boat? I still think NY Rangers may be a target as well. How, I am not sure, but our target should be Schneider, plus ????? Depending on who it is, or is it part of a bigger trade?

Please no Braden Schneider. Noah Dobson would be great but I don't think the Isles do it for just a pick, even 5-10. Granted, Dobson hasn't exactly taken the NHL by storm yet, but It just sets them back timeline-wise, and adds risk after Dobson has at least established himself as an NHL defenseman. I like your general idea but I don't see how a trade like this will work. Teams that are in a position to sell, aren't going to want to trade key young pieces like Dobson.

Given where the Canucks are at right now, I'd rather just play out the season and keep the pick. Trade Miller. Seriously consider trading Boeser. Maybe can get a young top 4 defenseman that way. Keep Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Rathbone, Demko, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Garland. It is a good young core that's not too far off, but still needs some work.

With the depth of quality RD near the top of this draft, maybe the stars align and you folks will get your precious RD. But if the Canucks have a chance at a true Western Conference center like Slafkovsky or Geekie, that would be just as, or maybe even more important. Always BPA, obviously, but yes, big centers and big RHD are harder to acquire so come at a premium. I don't think of that as a "need" though, it should be built into your valuation of the players.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

With the depth of quality RD near the top of this draft, maybe the stars align and you folks will get your precious RD. But if the Canucks have a chance at a true Western Conference center like Slafkovsky or Geekie, that would be just as, or maybe even more important. Always BPA, obviously, but yes, big centers and big RHD are harder to acquire so come at a premium. I don't think of that as a "need" though, it should be built into your valuation of the players.

Are you suggesting drafting for Organizational need you're slippin.  So what I'm hearing is drafting Big power C's and RHD's you know the Canucks White Whales is fine if you frame it as building positional need into your valuation.  

Get off yer horse.

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Are you suggesting drafting for Organizational need you're slippin.  So what I'm hearing is drafting Big power C's and RHD's you know the Canucks White Whales is fine if you frame it as building positional need into your valuation.  

Get off yer horse.

Lol words mean things. Language is important. Conceptual subtlety is difficult but necessary for good reasoning.

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Get off yer horse.

If you don't understand something I say it would be better to ask for clarification than jump to assumptions and accusations.

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Lol words mean things. Language is important. Conceptual subtlety is difficult but necessary for good reasoning.

Sure sure. However you wanna spin it. 

I agree the Canucks should draft a Big body C and a top 4 RHD. Frame it however you want. 

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Sure sure. However you wanna spin it. 

I agree the Canucks should draft a Big body C and a top 4 RHD. Frame it however you want. 

Oh my goodness. This is the problem. You are still making assumptions and so completely misunderstanding me. Think more subtly my dude. Firstly, I never said the Canucks should draft a big C or RHD. I said that those players are inherently more valuable to any team. Just facts of life. There is a reason Kopitars and Getzlafs are rarely ever moved.

This is really not that difficult a concept to understand. I don't care if you're the Canucks or any other team. You make a list, taking into account many different variables including skill, frame, work ethic, professionalism, position, etc. and if you think in the long run Juraj Slafkovsky will be overall more valuable than Joamim Kemell, you take him. If you think David Jiricek will be overall more valuable than either in the long-term, then you take him. I don't care what team or situation, you always always always take BPA. But it is more complex than the caricature of what BPA means that you and others seem to have.

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Oh my goodness. This is the problem. You are still making assumptions and so completely misunderstanding me. Think more subtly my dude. Firstly, I never said the Canucks should draft a big C or RHD. I said that those players are inherently more valuable to any team. Just facts of life. There is a reason Kopitars and Getzlafs are rarely ever moved.

This is really not that difficult a concept to understand. I don't care if you're the Canucks or any other team. You make a list, taking into account many different variables including skill, frame, work ethic, professionalism, position, etc. and if you think in the long run Juraj Slafkovsky will be overall more valuable than Joamim Kemell, you take him. If you think David Jiricek will be overall more valuable than either in the long-term, then you take him. I don't care what team or situation, you always always always take BPA. But it is more complex than the caricature of what BPA means that you and others seem to have.

Do you not agree that one of those factors in that broad scope should be that this team needs more that anything to hit a Kopitar, Getzlaf in the draft because as you stated above those players are rarely moved and IMO the best way to get one is draft one?                       

So BPA might be Kemell but there are other factors (rarity of power top 6 C's and top 4 RHD's) that push the scale Slafkovsky, Nemec. 

If you look how Detroit is building. 

Moritz Sieder Big RHD, Cossa Franchise G, Raymond Right shot skilled W, Zadina Left shot skilled W, Edvinsson big mobile LD , Buim Big mobile LD, Wallander big mobile LD. Veleno 3C.  Size, handedness and importantly positional need seem to greatly factor into how they evaluate BPA. They are building a team by depth chart through the draft.  Thankfully for us I guess Hughes didn't fit into their vision of 6'3 LD. But the point is that there is a clear vision there in how they are drafting and as a result are looking past guys most of us would consider BPA like Quinn and Eklund because they don't fit.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Edited by hammertime

On 12/4/2021 at 10:47 AM, HighOnHockey said:

Exactly, it makes no sense to target a position with your first two picks in the draft.  

Canucks have always had a top 45 that they stick to, and then the rest of the draft is ordered by position.  If they feel that they need RHD in the system, then look for picks in the 3rd or 4th round to swing that way, but not the first round pick.  

On 12/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

If we have a shot at Nemec or Jiricek you do not pass on that. I 100% think they go 1-2 last season and both could realistically start in the AHL and get games soon after in the NHL. 

In any other situation I would move the pick for an immediate upgrade but both guys check off every single box this team desperately needs. Dobson can't even stick fulltime in his draft +4 season and like most D drafted after Quinn haven't developed the way many expected. 

Really really like these 2 and the fact they are dominating at 17 against men takes some of the risk out of the voodoo of drafting D that high.

Sure the Czech league isn't the SHL and the Slovak league is even worse but still pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly, it makes no sense to target a position with your first two picks in the draft.  

Canucks have always had a top 45 that they stick to, and then the rest of the draft is ordered by position.  If they feel that they need RHD in the system, then look for picks in the 3rd or 4th round to swing that way, but not the first round pick.  

True but when positional need lines up with one of Nemec or Jiricek you pull the trigger. Sadly unless we pick top 3 or other teams go for the high-end forwards I doubt we have a chance.

Every year the NA kids are hyped up early but then a few Euros rise up the ranks. If these 2 kids played in NA or even Sweden the hype would be nuts.

Even over on HF their threads have like 5 pages compared to the NA kids with 30+

I imagine after New years the hype will catch up. They are unicorns, big, fast,  physical, smart 2way RHDs, that could play sooner than later.

What are you guys even talking about?  

You draft BPA. Period.  

Did I really just read something stupid like, we haven’t drafted a good RHD in 50 years so we have to do it now?     Hahahaha

Thats crazier than drafting purely for position (which I saw above as well). Lol.  

We get a top 2 pick, but the best RHD is best picked around 6.     Well we need a D today, let’s ignore the 3-4 years of development, as well as the 4 players much better than him because……….  You know what?…….. We haven’t drafted a good one in 50 years!  

Silliness.  

Anywho,   We will be picking top 5 for sure, and if the season continues like it does, we have a solid shot at top 3 (we can’t beat Ottawa or Arizona)

This draft is looking pretty amazing.  We are going to get a game changing top liner, almost for sure.    

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Unless it’s Nemec who’s slated as a potential top 5 pick or Jiricek who’s probably one of the only other D potentially going top 10.

Hard to pass up on some of the forwards that could go 2-5 though… but no real standouts as BPA for me yet. A few guys have cases for #2. 

The top 10 will be forward heavy for sure. I could see only 2 D going but a lot remains to be seen. 

Next few months should help make things more clear. 

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Unless it’s Nemec who’s slated as a potential top 5 pick or Jiricek who’s probably one of the only other D potentially going top 10.

Hard to pass up on some of the forwards that could go 2-5 though… but no real standouts as BPA for me yet. A few guys have cases for #2. 

The top 10 will be forward heavy for sure. I could see only 2 D going but a lot remains to be seen. 

Next few months should help make things more clear. 

No way dude.  
You have a top 2 from the lotto. Nemec at 5. 
you are passing up all that good stuff because of a player that won’t be ready for a couple years?      
You fill positionally other ways.