The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think Nemec and Jiricek go in the top 10. Unlikely either are available to us unless we win the lottery. Luneau should be available, but I've seen him ranked mostly as a late 1st or even out of the 1st in some rankings, so not sure if he would be a reach for us. Haven't heard too much hype for Ty Nelson, most likely cause he's on a smaller-ish side, but he's seemingly been ranked higher than Luneau overall.

There are some pretty decent LD as well despite not being a major need for us, but they could be more likely as BPA at our pick. Mintyukov is ranked right around our pick on most boards so far. Good size and has offensive flair, not the greatest in the defensive zone yet. Mateychuk was a captain in the top prospects game I believe with decent numbers and also ranked around our pick. Pickering is a 6'5 dman that has been climbing up the ranks lately. Korchinski has been turning some heads, but most rankings have him as a later pick in the 1st round so far. Seems like all of these LD have been viewed more favourably over Luneau.

If we are indeed targetting Luneau, I hope we trade down and add a pick or two in the process.

Love all those LHD mentioned and hoping we don’t reach for a RHD because all those guys you mentioned are better prospects then the next couple RHD’s expected to go in the 1rst round. Would absolutely love Mintyukov or Korchinski! Would be happy with Mateychuk or Pickering. Then I’d be very sad if we picked a RHD not named Nemec or Jiricek over any of those 4 guys because then we reached for position. Will remind me of Benning head hunting a dman and taking Juolevi over BPA Matthew Tkachuk.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Love all those LHD mentioned and hoping we don’t reach for a RHD because all those guys you mentioned are better prospects then the next couple RHD’s expected to go in the 1rst round. Would absolutely love Mintyukov or Korchinski! Would be happy with Mateychuk or Pickering. Then I’d be very sad if we picked a RHD not named Nemec or Jiricek over any of those 4 guys because then we reached for position. Will remind me of Benning head hunting a dman and taking Juolevi over BPA Matthew Tkachuk.

Agreed. I don't mind Luneau, but rather we trade down and nab a 2nd round pick as well at least. There seems like there is some good potential in the 2nd as well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Agreed. I don't mind Luneau, but rather we trade down and nab a 2nd round pick as well at least. There seems like there is some good potential in the 2nd as well.

Couldn’t agree more! I like the 2nd round but mid season my 2nd round targets were Korchinski and Goyette. Korchinski we know will be a mid 1rst pick and I’d be a little shocked if Goyette doesn’t go in the 1rst round as well. I was hoping for an extra pick so we could nab him at the end of the 1rst round!

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Couldn’t agree more! I like the 2nd round but mid season my 2nd round targets were Korchinski and Goyette. Korchinski we know will be a mid 1rst pick and I’d be a little shocked if Goyette doesn’t go in the 1rst round as well. I was hoping for an extra pick so we could nab him at the end of the 1rst round!

I know Korchinski has been gaining some traction, but I haven't seen (or remember) any reputable rankings than have him higher than 20 so far. Mintyukov seems similar to Korchinski, but already is near 200lbs and he's been ranked mid 1st on most boards so far.

Goyette is also rising, but again is right around the bubble of a 1st or not. Will be interesting to see updated rankings. Maybe if we trade down and somehow land an early 2nd, potentially Goyette could be available still. If not, then maybe we could swing for the fences on someone like Jagger Firkus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I know Korchinski has been gaining some traction, but I haven't seen (or remember) any reputable rankings than have him higher than 20 so far. Mintyukov seems similar to Korchinski, but already is near 200lbs and he's been ranked mid 1st on most boards so far.

Goyette is also rising, but again is right around the bubble of a 1st or not. Will be interesting to see updated rankings. Maybe if we trade down and somehow land an early 2nd, potentially Goyette could be available still. If not, then maybe we could swing for the fences on someone like Jagger Firkus.

Goyette finished the year strong! He had really good stats as a kid which made him a high priority selection but being drafted high in junior usually puts you onto a bad team. Finished the year with 73 points in 66 games which doesn’t blow anybody away but the next closest guy on his team had 50 points. He’s a Center prospect that won over 50% of his draws and is touted as one of the best skaters in the class. If he had good line mates I think he’d be hitting the teens in mock drafts.  Also another stat that gets me excited is dmen that lead their team in points. Never easy to do so Mintyukov with 17 goals and 62 points in 67 games and leading his team caught my eye. You just never know if he has high profile scorers on his team maybe he’d have another 10-15 points and be a bonafide top 10 player.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Goyette finished the year strong! He had really good stats as a kid which made him a high priority selection but being drafted high in junior usually puts you onto a bad team. Finished the year with 73 points in 66 games which doesn’t blow anybody away but the next closest guy on his team had 50 points. He’s a Center prospect that won over 50% of his draws and is touted as one of the best skaters in the class. If he had good line mates I think he’d be hitting the teens in mock drafts.  Also another stat that gets me excited is dmen that lead their team in points. Never easy to do so Mintyukov with 17 goals and 62 points in 67 games and leading his team caught my eye. You just never know if he has high profile scorers on his team maybe he’d have another 10-15 points and be a bonafide top 10 player.

Yeah I'd be interested in Mintyukov and even Korchinski as they would seemingly be at the level of where we are actually picking and wouldn't be a reach. We need to take BPA regardless of position. Mateychuk is also intriguing to me. I think he is the most well rounded of the mentioned here. As I mentioned before that he was named captain of the top prospects game, so he's viewed rather highly amongst his peers. He's 5'11 which isn't tiny and could still grow past 6'0. Plus look at his profile pic on elite prospects. Destiny?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/570931/denton-mateychuk

Goyette would be a great add. If he ends up being a 1st round pick, I suspect we are unlikely to be able to draft him though.

Curious though, if someone like Brad Lambert falls to our pick in the 1st round, do we take him? A year or so ago, he was touted as a top 3 pick. Aatu Raty was similarly touted and fell hard and I think a lot of teams regret passing on him. High risk/high reward type selection, can we risk that?

• Upvote 1

Man oh man that USA-Canada game got out of hand quick. The shots were 14-2 halfway through the first. 42-16 after the 2nd. Isaac Howard with the 4 goal game.

Canada really got the $&!#-end of the stick this year. Just on defense, they're missing Tristan Luneau, Kevin Korchinksi, Denton Mateychuk, Maverick Lammoureux, Ty Nelson, Mats Lindgren, Isiah George... Am I missing anyone? If they had free choice of anyone eligible, probably the only defenseman actually on the team who would have made it is Owen Pickering.

Bedard and Fantilli did what they could, but the mismatches were overwhelming. Baumgartner tried going with Bedard and Pickering against the Cooley line every chance he could, and it was pretty successful, but that freed up the Howard-Nazar line to absolutely feast on every other Canadian line and D pair.

Coming into the tournament, I was hopeful under-aged stars Dragicevik and Matthew Wood could step up and be impact players, but I was reminded how much a difference one year of development makes at this age. Kids like that could have been fine in support roles, but they're not ready to be go-to players at this level, against this competition.

Fantilli had his moments, but playing mostly with Ward and Moldenhauer, you could argue that literally every USA line was better than Canada's 2nd line in this one. Goyette and Delic looked good at times too, but more often they were just in way over their heads.

I'm sure Canada will fair much better against other teams, but I just don't know how they (or any team in this tournament) are going to stand a chance against this American juggernaut.

Edited by HighOnHockey

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think Nemec and Jiricek go in the top 10. Unlikely either are available to us unless we win the lottery. Luneau should be available, but I've seen him ranked mostly as a late 1st or even out of the 1st in some rankings, so not sure if he would be a reach for us. Haven't heard too much hype for Ty Nelson, most likely cause he's on a smaller-ish side, but he's seemingly been ranked higher than Luneau overall.

There are some pretty decent LD as well despite not being a major need for us, but they could be more likely as BPA at our pick. Mintyukov is ranked right around our pick on most boards so far. Good size and has offensive flair, not the greatest in the defensive zone yet. Mateychuk was a captain in the top prospects game I believe with decent numbers and also ranked around our pick. Pickering is a 6'5 dman that has been climbing up the ranks lately. Korchinski has been turning some heads, but most rankings have him as a later pick in the 1st round so far. Seems like all of these LD have been viewed more favourably over Luneau.

If we are indeed targetting Luneau, I hope we trade down and add a pick or two in the process.

That’s the breakdown I was looking at too.  

With our first and a player up too Brock’s caliber to put into any move, it’s not beyond the ability to target either Nemec and or Jircek.  

Rutherford had some great success with Czeck players.  Or Slovak.

Ty Nelson is a mini free wheeling guy. Just a bit too many of those on one roster, it’s not the cure for us, but if he is another can’t miss guy, then take him, we can work out details later.  

not the guy we need, but the position of need makes it so critical to our on ice woes, adjusting the pairs can take more than one move.  

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think a few things went into drafting OJ, that they wanted the non JV type of character, so they went too far down the rabbit hole into the interview stage, thinking that he would grow into his height.  

he was really hit hard by Covid, vitamin D deficiencies can make Covid worse, and he is very pale. 

I here excessively playing video games also hurts the player development.  

Yet Serge and McAvoy would have been the more critical position of need at defence, with the RHD, and OJ was the consensus D man at that spot.  

it’s not that there wasn’t impact D men in the top half of the first, even at RHD, it’s that they simply took the wrong one.  

it was an assessment error.  That’s the gamble. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Difficult to imagine which rankings you're referring to that have Nelson higher than Luneau. Looking at some of the most reputable rankings,

Luneau:

McKenzie - 21

Central (N/A) - 10

SportsNet - 22

McKeen - 22

Recrute - 38

Nelson:

McKenzie - 34

Central (N/A) - 25

SportsNet - N/R

McKeen - 24

Recrute - 28

The two universally respected rankings are McKenzie and Central Scouting. McKenzie already had Luneau 21 at mid-season, and that was before his strong offensive second half to the season - 15 in 25 through the end of 2021 for 0.6 p/g; 25 in 35 since the calendar turned, for 0.714 p/g. Central has him 10th in N/A, which would likely put him just inside the top 20 overall. So I'm not too sure where you're getting this "late first or outside the 1st" from. Seems to me 21-22 should be considered mid-first more than late first, and he's trending upward.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Difficult to imagine which rankings you're referring to that have Nelson higher than Luneau. Looking at some of the most reputable rankings,

Luneau:

McKenzie - 21

Central (N/A) - 10

SportsNet - 22

McKeen - 22

Recrute - 38

Nelson:

McKenzie - 34

Central (N/A) - 25

SportsNet - N/R

McKeen - 24

Recrute - 28

The two universally respected rankings are McKenzie and Central Scouting. McKenzie already had Luneau 21 at mid-season, and that was before his strong offensive second half to the season - 15 in 25 through the end of 2021 for 0.6 p/g; 25 in 35 since the calendar turned, for 0.714 p/g. Central has him 10th in N/A, which would likely put him just inside the top 20 overall. So I'm not too sure where you're getting this "late first or outside the 1st" from. Seems to me 21-22 should be considered mid-first more than late first, and he's trending upward.

I may have been confused as I looked at several draft rankings from all over the map.

Would be great if he does continue to trend upward. Just haven't heard too much hype around him and seemingly the LD I had mentioned ate getting more love on most boards. With that said, I thought I had read some positive things on Nelson and mis-judged that for being ranked higher than he is.

• Cheers 1

Outside of a Kemmell, Lekkerimaki or Yurov potentially falling to us (which I don’t think will happen, but much weirder things have) if management decides to take a forward I’d be stoked with Kasper, Gauthier or McGroarty. I wouldn’t be mad with Lambert because he’s got the tools and a high ceiling but scares me. On D it would be great if one of Mintyukov, Mateychuk or Korchinski fell to us but if not sign me up for Luneau or Pickering. I really like Chesley a ton and think he’ll make some team really happy but I could see a lot of hate on these boards if we took him at 15

43 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Outside of a Kemmell, Lekkerimaki or Yurov potentially falling to us (which I don’t think will happen, but much weirder things have) if management decides to take a forward I’d be stoked with Kasper, Gauthier or McGroarty. I wouldn’t be mad with Lambert because he’s got the tools and a high ceiling but scares me. On D it would be great if one of Mintyukov, Mateychuk or Korchinski fell to us but if not sign me up for Luneau or Pickering. I really like Chesley a ton and think he’ll make some team really happy but I could see a lot of hate on these boards if we took him at 15

Yurov could definitely fall to us at 15. 

The buzz from some draft gurus is that teams are extremely cold on drafting Russians. 

I hope we go all Russian in rounds 3 through 7. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yurov could definitely fall to us at 15. 

The buzz from some draft gurus is that teams are extremely cold on drafting Russians. 

I hope we go all Russian in rounds 3 through 7. 

I think he will go in the few picks before us but wouldn’t be shocked if he was available to us

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm curious to know poster's opinions on their do not draft lists. Or players one would be upset with had we selected that player.

Wouldn't really say I have DNDs. Just players I'd rave ranked later that most. Not the biggest fan of Joakim Kemell, but I guess if the Canucks got him at 14 or 15 I'd be cool with it.

I'd be very disappointed with either of Chesley or Salomonsson in anywhere in the first round.

Would prefer to stay away from any Russians. I guess I'd be ok with Yurov at 15, considering I have him 4th on my overall list.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Screw said:

What do you guys think of Liam Ohgren?       This guy looks like he could be a player.

Like him a lot. Would be stoked if Canucks got him. Recrutes is a pretty respectable group and I think they had him 3rd overall on their last rankings.

Big body. 6'2 and thick as $&!#. Great skater, great shot. A real handful for defenders down low. Just not sure about his upper-end hockey sense - creativity, deceptiveness and such. Should be a reasonably safe bet for 25-30 goals and 55-65 points in the NHL anyway. I haven't seen a ton of him though. Maybe has a whole different gear that Grant McCagg and co at Recrutes are seeing.

• Thanks 1