The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Fantasy League 2021-22

Nail

A couple big congrats to two of our very own Lightning

Drew Commesso on playing for his country at the upcoming Olympic Games

Jordan Eberle on being our all star representative!

Adrian Kempe on being our 2nd all star representative

Congrats gentlemen!

Edited by Tylez
  • Cheers 1

Congrats to Hurricanes prospect Nick Perbix on being named to the US Olympic team!

Nick has been mostly flying under the radar, but I have long felt he has NHL upside. Hoping that this tournament will confirm my suspicions.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Nail said:

Waivers:

The Los Angeles Kings have claimed Josh Leivo off of waivers from the Vancouver Canucks.

Josh is an interesting player, one we picked up off waivers, with hopes he would get another look in the NHL's Hurricanes system. After a month of holding out such hope, ultimately, we had to free up the roster spot in support of our push up the standings. Best of luck with the Kings, to a player we really wish we could have kept in the room longer. 

• Cheers 1

Varly is STILL considered one of the 13 goalies you can't have more than one of per team...and yet Samsonov has won 13 of 20 games and Cam Talbot has won 15 of 24. 

The NHL is about 35 games played on average right now...so Edmonton in FL has 28 goalie wins in 35 games played, more or less.

Meanwhile David Rittich has won 3 of 6 games played and Varlamov, who again is on the restricted list of starting goalies has won 2 of 9 games played.

FL's Vancouver therefore has 5 goalie wins in the 35 games played roughly so far this season, WITH a restricted goalie compared to 28 goalie wins in the same 35 games played in EDM. 

I am going to pass Edmonton anyway, but wanted to point out this list is terrible and arbitrary, i get what it was attempted to 'fix' but shouldn't salary cap keep all things relative? 

I am paying 10.5 million for nine wins vs Edmonton paying 7.5 million for 28 wins. 

Something for the executive to consider perhaps, going forward? There was a noted push at some point for goalies who work in the NHL to be very expensive...as was pointed out to me in contract negotiations repeatedly, and then this list became a thing too, and now the list is less than half the leagues tendies and the 'high price' has completely disappeared. lol. That is all, just laughing and pointing out this 'system' is borked all to hell. Hopefully something new is worked out that will actually accomplish the goals the current weird system was trying to address. That is all, have a good day everyone. Despite all this, the Vancouver Canucks will be pushing past Edmonton today, hopefully, and setting our sights on a new target, the Dallas Stars!

Spoiler

The list for the 2021-22 season is:

1. Connor Hellebuyck 14 wins in 28 games played (half)

2. Carey Price injured BUT last year won 12 of 25 games played ( less than half)

3. Jordan Binnington 11 wins in 21 games played (half)

4. Andrei Vasilevskiy 21 wins in 30 games played (Whoa!) 9.75 million 6.5 years remaining on deal

5. Philipp Grubauer 7 wins in 27 games played (far less than half!!!)

6. Marc-Andre Fleury 12 wins 25 games played (less than half)

7. Semyon Varlamov 2 wins in 9 games played (less than half)

8. Juuse Saros 20 wins in 31 games played (Whoa!) 5.5 million 4.5 years remaining on deal

9. John Gibson 12 wins in 27 games played (less than half)

10. Thatcher Demko 15 wins in 29 games played (half)

11. Igor Shestyorkin 16 wins in 22 games played (nice)

12. Mackenzie Blackwood 9 wins in 22 games played (less than half)

13. Jacob Markstrom 12 wins in 25 games played (less than half)

Just so everyone can see, and the executive can figure things out. This list is simply ineffective at best and at worst one or two GM's opinions which are or have been in the past really off the mark. 

As I hate to complain without offering solutions; just deep six this list as it is honestly NOT doing what it was invented to do, and revert to good goalies being expensive which would make it very expensive to have two of them, right? Contracts are their own detterents; but then the league might want to consider an Agent who specializes in just goalies.

There is a patchwork of tendie costs/results that at the moment I am bearing the brunt of, however I think it affects the entire league. My minor annoyance with it just led to me compiling the data here. 

ANyways, love the league love my team and I will leave this with the exec to discuss and think about. The data speaks for itself, so I can shut up now. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Carolina with Vasilievskiy and Kuemper makes me sad, but not as sad as I would be if I had Varlamov and Rittich.

I am just mad at myself for thinking I had to sign rittich at the deal he demanded, but no one held a gun to my head...

My main point is to try to fix the system which is not working as intended, and I suspect even the Executive folks will agree with me on that. 

I think a dedicated goalie agent with the power to demand a trade quickly if, say A) two tendies are among the top 10 point earners for a club or B)two tendies are winning half their starts and starting half their NHL teams games..or some combination of the two would be way better than a list that is only as accurate as the opinion of the list maker and quickly becomes obsolete. Other than that, just let the salary demands sort out the tendies, but I would also recommend 3 year signings with a 4th for re-signings instead of the 7/8 system...but not so committed to that change just an idea off the top of my head to prevent gms like me from mukking themselves long term and also to prevent tendies from being signed for 4milion for 8 years and suddenly becoming Juse Saros. haha. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Primal Optimist said:

I am just mad at myself for thinking I had to sign rittich at the deal he demanded, but no one held a gun to my head...

My main point is to try to fix the system which is not working as intended, and I suspect even the Executive folks will agree with me on that. 

I think a dedicated goalie agent with the power to demand a trade quickly if, say A) two tendies are among the top 10 point earners for a club or B)two tendies are winning half their starts and starting half their NHL teams games..or some combination of the two would be way better than a list that is only as accurate as the opinion of the list maker and quickly becomes obsolete. Other than that, just let the salary demands sort out the tendies, but I would also recommend 3 year signings with a 4th for re-signings instead of the 7/8 system...but not so committed to that change just an idea off the top of my head to prevent gms like me from mukking themselves long term and also to prevent tendies from being signed for 4milion for 8 years and suddenly becoming Juse Saros. haha. 

I tend to disagree with this point, but agree on the rest. I like the idea of GMs taking a flyer on a player's potential. Nail is usually quite punitive with cap hit in this case.

7 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I tend to disagree with this point, but agree on the rest. I like the idea of GMs taking a flyer on a player's potential. Nail is usually quite punitive with cap hit in this case.

Well, league wide there is one, maybe two, situations where a club has 'gifted' tandems in place that may be considered unfair; the other 30 clubs have more of a defined starter and backup when you just look at the pickuphockey points results. The thing of every goalie on 30 of 32 teams is that they are NEVER the same goalie in year 2 of their deal as they are in year 7 of their deal (knocking off years 1 and 8 for emphasis on just how much of a pendulum swing tendies can be.)  In theory a GM can sign an 8 year 12 million dollar deal and quit. A brand new GM would then have to decide to buyout that tendie in year 2 or 3 after learning he really wasn't worth that money, or sit on the contract and play handicapped through no fault of their own. The other side of that coin is the agent, as is evident in the past, may have no clue as to the real value of a tendie's future and sign an 8 year deal for 4m and end up with Prime Carey Price in year 6 or 7 for less cap hit than a backup who wins 3 games a year. So for me, to 'fix' the crease situation, I think the whole tendy system should be looked at...maybe not my solutions but someone must have a better solution than "hhahaha he signed a $&!#ty deal and has to live with it for most of a decade" or "WHOA he signed a good deal and gets a free Vezina Winner for most of a decade". That pendulum swing isn't in the best interest of the league, right?  

Sorry to be long winded..i am honestly trying to cut back on my wall of text. haha. Thanks for reading. ; p

42 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I think 31 GMs would agree that adding Kuemper should upset Vas, thus demanding a trade. :ph34r:

I'm just working by the rules as they are laid out in the CBA. And I know full well that one of them will need to be traded this off-season.

However, I agree with Primal, that the current structure with goalies isn't ideal. (It's just bonkers that Calgary can't add a starting goalie, because they have Price, who may not even play.) I would be in favor of a rule change for next year. 

• Cheers 2

As I've told @Primal Optimist and a few other GMs that have reached out, there will be changes to the way the Starting Goalie list is handled this off-season and those changes will come into effect next season. I will be using our annual questionnaire post trade deadline to help determine which routes we take to try and fix this issue. I appreciate PO for bringing this issue up, as I am always looking for ways to improve the game.

If anyone else has any concerns, do not be shy to bring them up at all! :)

• Cheers 4