The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who will be the Most Valuable Player for the Vancouver Canucks in 2021-2022?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who will be the Most Valuable Player for the Vancouver Canucks in 2021-2022?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Based on the Staff remaining mostly intact, I chose Demko due to Greens' system being (mostly) dependent on solid goaltending. 

Although, the addition of OEL & Poolman are promising and the (biggest) Xfactor for me on the d side, is what changes Shaw can implement vs what we saw with Baumer in the past.  At this point, there is alot to be excited about due the roster changes but the biggest question will be - how the staff will put it all together; and so far, there is no solid structure but it is after all, still the pre season,  where there seems to still be alot of experimentation happening on the personnel side (for the most part) with pretty much the same system (being mostly) intact.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

The OEL-Myers pairing could be one of the most determining factors for our success this season:

Obviously, we will need a lot of guys to step up and be potential MVP’s.  Demko, Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Miller, etc., are the obvious usual suspects.  On for the HF Canucks fans on here, I’ll do you a solid and mention Jacob Markstrom, Mike Gillis, and Judd Brackett as well.

I’m really starting to realize the importance of this OEL-Myers pairing.  With Hamonic out, I think Green is going to put these guys together and put Poolman with Hughes.  OEL-Myers REALLY need to deliver for us.  Management has both of them pegged as two-way defensemen, but I’ll have to see it to believe it.  To me, both guys are offensive defensemen that are a little weak defensively. 

I would love to be proven wrong obviously.  But.....if these guys, as a pairing, can be a strong two way pairing, then the Canucks could be off to the races, and be a legitimate 2nd round team. 

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1

The way that Green plays, we expose our defence and goalie a lot to create chances and press high up the ice. Sure, Petey and Hughes are going to look good (better than they would on other, safer teams) and will have inflated stats because of this, but the real MVP will no-doubt be Demko because he'll be the reason we're in games and keep games close that should be blown out. Petey and the forwards will score, no question about it, but we'll have so many more expected goals against than goals for just because of the stupid, risky style that Green has employed these last few years, and the only way we benefit from it is if we cash in on our offensive opportunities, but more importantly, don't leak horrible goals from all the odd-man rushes we let through.

Sadly in the NHL the goalie will always be the most important player, a forward is on the ice for 15-20 minutes and contributes what, 2-5 shots a night on average, averaging a point-per-game. The goalie is involved in every goal against. Especially on this team, which has had a big shakeup on defence as well, Demko will be key. If he has a stellar season, the Canucks have a chance to make the playoffs. If he stinks, we're finished.

Conversely, if Pettersson only scores 60 points in 82 games, we still have a chance to make the playoffs with other forwards scoring. If Petey hits 90-100 points, we can still easily miss the playoffs if our defence and goalie play like crap.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

The OEL-Myers pairing could be one of the most determining factors for our success this season:

Obviously, we will need a lot of guys to step up and be potential MVP’s.  Demko, Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Miller, etc., are the obvious usual suspects.  On for the HF Canucks fans on here, I’ll do you a solid and mention Jacob Markstrom, Mike Gillis, and Judd Brackett as well.

I’m really starting to realize the importance of this OEL-Myers pairing.  With Hamonic out, I think Green is going to put these guys together and put Poolman with Hughes.  OEL-Myers REALLY need to deliver for us.  Management has both of them pegged as two-way defensemen, but I’ll have to see it to believe it.  To me, both guys are offensive defensemen that are a little weak defensively. 

I would love to be proven wrong obviously.  But.....if these guys, as a pairing, can be a strong two way pairing, then the Canucks could be off to the races, and be a legitimate 2nd round team. 

Good point and I agree that these pairing will be heavily leaned on.   

Imo, in order for this pairing to work, it will initially depend on both players buying in.  Since both players are veterans it might not be that hard to convince both and with the help of the staff, they can perhaps develope a system that will enable them to thrive ?

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The way that Green plays, we expose our defence and goalie a lot to create chances and press high up the ice. Sure, Petey and Hughes are going to look good (better than they would on other, safer teams) and will have inflated stats because of this, but the real MVP will no-doubt be Demko because he'll be the reason we're in games and keep games close that should be blown out. Petey and the forwards will score, no question about it, but we'll have so many more expected goals against than goals for just because of the stupid, risky style that Green has employed these last few years, and the only way we benefit from it is if we cash in on our offensive opportunities, but more importantly, don't leak horrible goals from all the odd-man rushes we let through.

Sadly in the NHL the goalie will always be the most important player, a forward is on the ice for 15-20 minutes and contributes what, 2-5 shots a night on average, averaging a point-per-game. The goalie is involved in every goal against. Especially on this team, which has had a big shakeup on defence as well, Demko will be key. If he has a stellar season, the Canucks have a chance to make the playoffs. If he stinks, we're finished.

Conversely, if Pettersson only scores 60 points in 82 games, we still have a chance to make the playoffs with other forwards scoring. If Petey hits 90-100 points, we can still easily miss the playoffs if our defence and goalie play like crap.

Great points and I am still skeptical if Green & friends can even be successful with this re vamp roster (?).

Green system requires the right player cause it seemed he is not willing to adjust his system to accommodate any player.