The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you feel about our Management group?

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

No Joulevi had plateaued. And was playing like he owned a spot. It wasn’t going to get any better here.  Tic tok times up.

I would take Juolevi over Hunt all day every day. 

We will see if Juolevi has plateaued now that he is with an organization that will probably at least give him a shot to see if he has.

Basing a roster decision on a bag skate is probably the most bush league thing I have ever heard of an NHL coach doing. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Sorry but our system overall is pretty underwhelming. Players looking like they might be good is literally no different than every other team. The Canucks have a handful of decent prospects, that’s really it.

The thing with that amigo, is that alot of our youth is actually playing on the big club, some teams miss on their picks and have to keep them down to develop, alot of our guys are already here..........that is not a bad thing!

• Like 2

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

The thing with that amigo, is that alot of our youth is actually playing on the big club, some teams miss on their picks and have to keep them down to develop, alot of our guys are already here..........that is not a bad thing!

I already factored that in previously though.

The Canucks can’t develop players other than goalies. it’s really that simple.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

We will see if Juolevi has plateaued now that he is with an organization that will probably at least give him a shot to see if he has.

Basing a roster decision on a bag skate is probably the most bush league thing I have ever heard of an NHL coach doing. 

I beered you, because of your second sentence

but no player is evaluated on a bag skate......lol.........................although it was pathetic!

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It was about what Joulevi brought in a trade.

The Canucks never gave him a shot?

The kid was quick sand.

perhaps he will do better somewhere else.

good for him if he does, he wasn’t playing like he wanted a job here.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

****Long post, but worthwhile.

I wasn't going to do this, but I thought I'd do a deep dive on how Benning has done at the draft table since 2014. (I also did an analysis of all the trades in the Pacific 

Division in the same time period, which would double the size of this post, so I have left it out. I may post it later if people are interested) Then I did similar analysis for all other teams in the Pacific except Seattle. And Vegas has only a four year history so their numbers can't really be compared to Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, San Jose and L.A. Caveat: there are bound to be minor errors.

Edmonton

# players drafted by Edmonton since 2014: 55

# players drafted now playing on Edmonton’s 23 man roster as of October 15/21: 

3 - L. Draisaitl; C. McDavid; K. Yamamoto

# players drafted now playing in top 23 elsewhere as of October 15/21:

4 – C. Jones; E. Bear; J. Eberle; T. Hall 

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: E. Bouchard; T. Benson

Total NHL man games of all Edmonton draftees since May 23/14: 1,383 

==================

Calgary

# players drafted by Calgary since 2014: 52

# players drafted now playing on Calgary’s 23 man roster as of October 15/21; 

5 – R. Andersson; D. Dube; M. Tkachuk; J. Valimaki, A. Mangiapane

2 – A. Fox; S. Bennett 

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: O. Kylington

Total NHL man games of all Calgary draftees since May 23/14: 1,572

==================

Los Angeles

# players drafted by Los Angeles since 2014: 54

# players drafted now playing on LA’s 23 man roster as of October 15/21:  - 

6  - A. Kempe; M. Roy; G. Vilardi; M. Anderson; J. Anderson-Dolan; 

A. Wagner

# players drafted now playing in top 23 elsewhere: 1 – E. Cernak.

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: T. Bjornfot; A. Turcotte; Q. Byfield, L. Andersson

Total NHL man games of all LA draftees since May 23/14: 1,130

==================

San Jose

# players drafted by SJ since 2014: 57

# players drafted now playing on SJ’s 23 man roster as of October 15/21:  - 

5 - T. Meier; R. Balcers; D. Gambrell; M. Ferraro; K. Labanc

1 –  J. Norris

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: J. Dahlen

Total NHL man games of all SJ draftees since May 23/14: 1,103

==================

Vegas

# players drafted by SJ since 2017: 40

# players drafted now playing on Vegas’ 23 man roster as of October 15/21:  - 

1 – N. Hague

3 – E. Brannstrom; N Suzuki; C. Glass

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: P. Krebs; C Dahlstrom

Total NHL man games of all Vegas’ draftees since Oct. 2017: 350

==================

Anaheim

# players drafted by Anaheim: 53

# players drafted now playing on Anaheim’s 23 man roster as of October 15/21:  - 

5 – J. Larsson; M. Jones; S. Steel; M. Comtois; I. Lundestrom; T. Terry

4 –  N. Ritchie; B. Montour; M. Pettersson; O. Kase

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: T. Zegras; J. Drysdale

Total NHL man games of all Anaheim draftees since May 23/14: 1,784

==================

Vancouver

# players drafted by Vancouver: 54

# players drafted now playing on Vancouver’s 23 man roster as of October 15/21:  7 - T. Demko; B. Boeser; ; E. Pettersson; Q. Hughes; N. Hoglander; 

V. Podkolzin

3 –  J. McCann; A. Gaudette, O. Juolevi

# players on the cusp of making it to the 23 man roster: W. Lockwood, 

J M. DiPietro

Total NHL man games of all Vancouver draftees since May 23/14: 1,811 

==================

A couple of brief observations:

1. Vegas is clearly in a "trade for stars to win now" mode. Vegas hates losers.

2. Vancouver draftees since 2014 have played more NHL games than any other Pacific Division team.

3. There is a perception that Vancouver hasn't had as many picks as other teams. The numbers don't bear this out.

4. Vancouver's seven draft picks on the 23 man roster is the most in the Pacific Division.

5. Watch out for L.A. in another year or two. 

And the Oilers had the # 1-3 pick , it felt like 3-4 years in a row.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think we can all agree that Hunt is garbage.

The fact that the difference between Juolevi and Hunt is so minimal says it all. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I think we can all agree that Hunt is garbage.

The fact that the difference between Juolevi and Hunt is so minimal says it all. 

Do you think Benning could have traded Hunt for Lammikko and Juulsen even? Would Hunt get claimed off waivers to the point you would have to panic trade him?

I think the difference is more than you think.

Do you think Benning could have traded Hunt for Lammikko and Juulsen even? Would Hunt get claimed off waivers to the point you would have to panic trade him?

I think the difference is more than you think.

That’s because draft pedigree factors into Juolevi’s value, as is usually the case. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I am not even a Juolevi fan. But he was a better fit as a platoon LD with Rathbone than any of the other garbage Green and Benning kept. He was fine in the limited action he got in the preseason. And at least he showed some ability to PK.

I see nothing wrong with your argument Amigo

But you know, we are discussing a fringe NHL player at this point

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So trading him for 2 other fringe nhl players and keeping a few other ones over him was that much better?

The point is........we was not going to make any significant difference in any case.....that is my point 

Here is the other point.........Juulson has shown well when not injured............not top pairing or anything like that, but I like the fact he is a RHD

I think the whole concern is really mute...........aka nothing to see here......

Like I said earlier.......your not any wronger than one else................(Wronger is not a word....I know!) but I do like your counter argument

• Thanks 1

Here is the thing though. It’s not about Juolevi individually for me. It’s about the squandering of assets for no reason other than an antiquated notion that if they aren’t perfect they should be replaced by a veteran who is garbage but is apparently “more reliable”.

The best management and coaches squeeze as much value out of their assets as they can.

Its why Benning and Green are not among the best. Too much wasted cap, trade value, and development opportunity.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

The point is........we was not going to make any significant difference in any case.....that is my point 

Here is the other point.........Juulson has shown well when not injured............not top pairing or anything like that, but I like the fact he is a RHD

I think the whole concern is really mute...........aka nothing to see here......

Like I said earlier.......your not any wronger than one else................(Wronger is not a word....I know!) but I do like your counter argument

@wallstreetamigo

It occurred to me after reading the last sentence here, that it is really a 50/50 type argument, where I see both points of view

I like the trade, it fills a whole(s) but I do see your point, which really underlines the old adage

"If, either fan base likes the trade, then is probably a fair hockey trade"

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Here is the thing though. It’s not about Juolevi individually for me. It’s about the squandering of assets for no reason other than an antiquated notion that if they aren’t perfect they should be replaced by a veteran who is garbage but is apparently “more reliable”.

The best management and coaches squeeze as much value out of their assets as they can.

Its why Benning and Green are not among the best. Too much wasted cap, trade value, and development opportunity.

I won't argue with you there!