The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tampa Bay doing what they gotta do to continue the dynasty...

Rate this topic

HKSR

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Fair enough.

With Price on “LTIR” however, wouldn’t it be possible for Bergevin to bring in someone like Jack Eichel per se?

I’m curious. Do you also require proof to satisfy you personally regarding Ferland and Sutter? Or it just other team’s use of LTIR that’s suspect? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

Even without Kucherov, Tampa is a damned good team.  You hit the nail on the head though.  Kucherov is the type of guy that can be better than most players after “””have a year of recovering””” (nudge nudge wink wink).  Playing wise, absolutely....Kucherov is doing what Pat Kane did in the early 2010’s.  That’s where the comparison ends however.  As much as we might dislike those early 2010 Chicago teams, they were a team full of integrity.  Pat Kane is a man of character and integrity as well.  I’m not so sure that the same can be said about Tampa “New England Patriots” Bay Lightning.  

Kane was running away with scoring title in 2015 before he broke his collarbone. Chicago used that LTIR space to acquire Vermette, a center which they needed. Kane came back for the Playoffs and the Hawks won the Cup, although Kane was definitely playing injured. 

Here we go again. Two years back to back and he will be in mid season form on day 1 once the playoffs start. 

Medical records will be “doctored” (no pun intended, lol) and his recovery will be “slow”, allowing the Lightning to acquire another good player. It’s a formula they have mastered with their big ticket contract. 

The NHL will remain willfully blind

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Kane was running away with scoring title in 2015 before he broke his collarbone. Chicago used that LTIR space to acquire Vermette, a center which they needed. Kane came back for the Playoffs and the Hawks won the Cup, although Kane was definitely playing injured. 

Agreed.  Broke his collarbone and definitely playing injured upon coming back are the key words here. 

I don’t have a problem with teams using their LTIR when legitimate injuries occur to their team.   I strongly suspect that Kucherov’s injury, along with Carey Price’s mental health issues, are deliberate attempts at cap circumvention.

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Here we go again. Two years back to back and he will be in mid season form on day 1 once the playoffs start. 

Medical records will be “doctored” (no pun intended, lol) and his recovery will be “slow”, allowing the Lightning to acquire another good player. It’s a formula they have mastered with their big ticket contract. 

The NHL will remain willfully blind

And it again begs the question:  How would the league have reacted if the Canucks had done this?  We already saw how Gillis was punished for the Luongo situation.  

“All animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others,” - Animal Farm.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

I’m curious. Do you also require proof to satisfy you personally regarding Ferland and Sutter? Or it just other team’s use of LTIR that’s suspect? 

Ferland clearly had a history of concussions and is now unofficially retired.  You might be correct with Sutter but it’s unlikely.  The Canucks had an actual Covid outbreak last year.  If Sutter returned to play after the Canucks Covid outbreak last season, then yes, you would most definitely be well within your right to question the legitimacy of the LTIR.

I mean, let’s look at the Habs for a second shall we?

1) They still have Jake Allen

2) Carolina just stole Kotkaniemi from the Habs using the NHL rules (frowned upon by GM’s, but still well within their rules).

3) Bergervin spent a lot of time and effort into building a team that could compete now (ie Toffoli, Josh Anderson, Dvorak, etc), and then Shea Weber retired due to injury.

4) Carey Price is in his mid 30’s and physically speaking, probably would be better off with a long rest after having just gone through a long playoffs.

5) Mental health, unlike a physical injury, is the most difficult to disprove in terms of potential fraudulence.  If Price and the Habs for instance, had pretended that Price had knee problem, a simple MRI would easily disprove the notion.  Mental health?  There is no tool to disprove otherwise.

6) Their best defensemen, Jeff Petry, is 33.

7) The Habs just lost to a team that clearly took advantage of the cap circumvention rules, followed by one of their players openly bragging about it.

All of these lend me to believe that Bergevin has implemented his own plan to circumvent the cap and he now has Carey Price involved.

Edited by Patel Bure

4 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Ferland clearly had a history of concussions and is now unofficially retired.  You might be correct with Sutter but it’s unlikely.  The Canucks had an actual Covid outbreak last year.  If Sutter returned to play after the Canucks Covid outbreak last season, then yes, you would most definitely be well within your right to question the legitimacy of the LTIR.

I’m not questioning either.  The league has their own protocols for determining the validity of LTIR claims. Not to mention the insurance adjusters who have to approve payouts on guaranteed contracts. I’m perfectly ok with letting the people who have the actual information make the decisions rather than some fan with a conspiracy theory 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m not questioning either.  The league has their own protocols for determining the validity of LTIR claims. Not to mention the insurance adjusters who have to approve payouts on guaranteed contracts. I’m perfectly ok with letting the people who have the actual information make the decisions rather than some fan with a conspiracy theory 

Just updated the rest of my post while you responded.  You probably won’t agree with what I posted, but I have more reasons as to why I think this whole Bergevin-Price thing is a hoax.

11 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I mean, let’s look at the Habs for a second shall we?

1) They still have Jake Allen

2) Carolina just stole Kotkaniemi from the Habs using the NHL rules (frowned upon by GM’s, but still well within their rules).

3) Bergervin spent a lot of time and effort into building a team that could compete now (ie Toffoli, Josh Anderson, Dvorak, etc), and then Shea Weber retired due to injury.

4) Carey Price is in his mid 30’s and physically speaking, probably would be better off with a long rest after having just gone through a long playoffs.

5) Mental health, unlike a physical injury, is the most difficult to disprove in terms of potential fraudulence.  If Price and the Habs for instance, had pretended that Price had knee problem, a simple MRI would easily disprove the notion.  Mental health?  There is no tool to disprove otherwise.

6) Their best defensemen, Jeff Petry, is 33.

7) The Habs just lost to a team that clearly took advantage of the cap circumvention rules, followed by one of their players openly bragging about it.

All of these lend me to believe that Bergevin has implemented his own plan to circumvent the cap and he now has Carey Price involved.

Better tighten that tinfoil cap there pal. Your brains are leaking out 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

And it again begs the question:  How would the league have reacted if the Canucks had done this?  We already saw how Gillis was punished for the Luongo situation.  

“All animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others,” - Animal Farm.

The hate on Canadian teams not named Toronto is so bad that we got nailed for cap circumvention that was totally legit at the time. FA should never have signed that CBA. Not even sure if he even knew what he signed! :picard:

27 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Agreed.  Broke his collarbone and definitely playing injured upon coming back are the key words here. 

I don’t have a problem with teams using their LTIR when legitimate injuries occur to their team.   I strongly suspect that Kucherov’s injury, along with Carey Price’s mental health issues, are deliberate attempts at cap circumvention.

What leads you to be suspicious?

37 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

You’re questioning the integrity of one of the most respected players in the league who literally has nothing to gain by faking a mental illness.  He had off season knee surgery. If he needed more time to recover the team could have said he  had a setback in rehabbing the injury. But no. You think they decided to concoct a situation that would require him to enter a legitimate treatment program a d publicly admit to have a mental health issue.  You think he’d be ok with that along with the risk of the irreparable damage to his reputation if it came out as a hoax?   Sure. Seems more likely than he actually is struggling with an issue that required treatment. 

40 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You’re questioning the integrity of one of the most respected players in the league who literally has nothing to gain by faking a mental illness.  He had off season knee surgery. If he needed more time to recover the team could have said he  had a setback in rehabbing the injury. But no. You think they decided to concoct a situation that would require him to enter a legitimate treatment program a d publicly admit to have a mental health issue.  You think he’d be ok with that along with the risk of the irreparable damage to his reputation if it came out as a hoax?   Sure. Seems more likely than he actually is struggling with an issue that required treatment. 

An MRI would have negated any attempt at fraudulence with regards to “having a set back” with his knee surgery.  Like I said - I’m not saying that I’m 100% right here.......what I am saying is that I *strongly* suspect that there is fraudulence at play here.

Ask yourself this:  How would one actually prove that someone is faking mental illness?   Wouldn’t it be almost impossible to prove?  (unlike the extent of a knee injury per se?)

59 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

What leads you to be suspicious?

I mentioned my suspicions regarding Price earlier in this thread or in another thread (in my response to quijbo) but I’m too lazy to pull it up here.  

Regarding Kucherov, I didn’t like the way he acted after he won the cup this past season.  He basically bragged about circumventing the cap and now he’s injured all of a sudden again?

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

I mentioned my suspicions regarding Price earlier in this thread or in another thread (in my response to quijbo) but I’m too lazy to pull it up here.  

Regarding Kucherov, I didn’t like the way he acted after he won the cup this past season.  He basically bragged about circumventing the cap and now he’s injured all of a sudden again?

So basically you're going off a hunch because you don't like the way he acted. Don't you think that's a little ridiculous?

18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

An MRI would have negated any attempt at fraudulence with regards to “having a set back” with his knee surgery.  Like I said - I’m not saying that I’m 100% right here.......what I am saying is that I *strongly* suspect that there is fraudulence at play here.

Ask yourself this:  How would one actually prove that someone is faking mental illness?   Wouldn’t it be almost impossible to prove?  (unlike the extent of a knee injury per se?)

Answer this. Why would Price consider this for even a moment?  He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. 

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Answer this. Why would Price consider this for even a moment?  He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. 

1) An extended rest while being quite fresh before the playoffs.

2) 10 million in LTIR space.  You know who wants out of Buffalo and just so happens to have a 10 million dollar cap hit?  Habs + Eichel = cup? (something that currently eludes Price).

3) “nothing to gain and everything to lose.”  In theory, you’re right, but how does one exactly prove that one is faking a mental illness?  My guess is that it would be almost impossible.  

Edited by Patel Bure