The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MCFD Annouces Changes to Autism Funding

Danie_Canuck

Not sure if there is a large community here - but wondering what those who are affected by this think?  

It appears they are removing the individual funding and creating a "community based hubs".  I have not dug into all the details yet, just been getting alerts on my phone at work.  But wondering if others have what are your thoughts? 

My kiddo was diagnosed just before the pandemic hit - so navigating this whole process and setting up our home based team has been a challenge in itself.   Trying to figure out a NEW system has my anxiety at level 100 out 10 again. 

I have linked the news release below

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021CFD0067-002047

• Huggy Bear 4

I get worried any time the government tries to take on the management of services. I live in a small community. I think our families benefit from the current model. They have complete flexibility to choose their own service provider. I worry that when the government gets involved, they will spend more money on management and overhead, limiting the number of available service providers...or mandate that each service provider must hold a specific diploma...when we have all experienced that sometimes the best service providers are not the ones with the academic background.

I worry that this will mean waitlists for Behavioural Intervention services. 

I worry that small communities that do not have access to Behavioural Consultants will be unable to operate a hub... 

I think it will be messy and I hope I'm wrong. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Danie_Canuck said:

Not sure if there is a large community here - but wondering what those who are affected by this think?  

It appears they are removing the individual funding and creating a "community based hubs".  I have not dug into all the details yet, just been getting alerts on my phone at work.  But wondering if others have what are your thoughts? 

My kiddo was diagnosed just before the pandemic hit - so navigating this whole process and setting up our home based team has been a challenge in itself.   Trying to figure out a NEW system has my anxiety at level 100 out 10 again. 

I have linked the news release below

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021CFD0067-002047

My son was diagnosed with Autism during the pandemic as well, and navigating these new challenges and accessing support during Covid has proved difficult. Especially with all the restrictions and a lot of the programs being closed or virtual only. 

• Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I get worried any time the government tries to take on the management of services. I live in a small community. I think our families benefit from the current model. They have complete flexibility to choose their own service provider. I worry that when the government gets involved, they will spend more money on management and overhead, limiting the number of available service providers...or mandate that each service provider must hold a specific diploma...when we have all experienced that sometimes the best service providers are not the ones with the academic background.

I worry that this will mean waitlists for Behavioural Intervention services. 

I worry that small communities that do not have access to Behavioural Consultants will be unable to operate a hub... 

I think it will be messy and I hope I'm wrong. 

From the spin the BC gov is putting out these hubs are meant to make access easier especially in remote communities.  I have no idea how people in small towns like say New Denver manage it.  I cannot imagine there are many BC and BI's up there.  These hubs I hope will make it easier. 

What worries me is they announced the removal of the AFU private funding and slapped a shiny bow on these hubs but they haven't talked about costs.  I also read a comment by someone it is to make it more equitable that kids who need less services will have less funding then those who need more.   But where I worry with this is what about the kids that are teetering?  

My kid APPEARS to be (as some acquaintances have said) "more normal".  But he was non-verbal until age 4.  I spent the past 3 years on my own working soo hard on his speech.  When we got the AFU funds he was 5 so I had the full funding amount and was able to find a speech therapist, I bought the Articulation Station App, I had flash cards we worked SOOO hard on his speech.  Now that he is 7 and we have the VERY reduced funding amount I can't afford an SLP, BC and a BI on my single income.  But now because his speech has improved ENOUGH he isn't eligible for SLP services in school, but he is barely over that line for SLP services. Which because of that his reading and writing are behind, but not enough.  By all account he APPEARS ok and meeting expectations but he struggles so much. Will these hubs then say, oh he's fine he doesn't need this and then fall between the cracks again?  

My other concern is families already have their teams their kids are comfortable with their BI's/BC's (if they are doing ABA) but what if (like in my case) my BC is out of Chilliwack and our BI is in Langley, we live in Surrey.  Does that mean we can't work with our BC and BI because they won't belong to our hub? 

What about kids who are not doing ABA? What about Equine therapy? etc etc.   

Truly I think MCFD should have waited on this announcement and had a full run down - costs, funding, what these hubs will look like, types of therapies etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Danie_Canuck said:

From the spin the BC gov is putting out these hubs are meant to make access easier especially in remote communities.  I have no idea how people in small towns like say New Denver manage it.  I cannot imagine there are many BC and BI's up there.  These hubs I hope will make it easier. 

What worries me is they announced the removal of the AFU private funding and slapped a shiny bow on these hubs but they haven't talked about costs.  I also read a comment by someone it is to make it more equitable that kids who need less services will have less funding then those who need more.   But where I worry with this is what about the kids that are teetering?  

My kid APPEARS to be (as some acquaintances have said) "more normal".  But he was non-verbal until age 4.  I spent the past 3 years on my own working soo hard on his speech.  When we got the AFU funds he was 5 so I had the full funding amount and was able to find a speech therapist, I bought the Articulation Station App, I had flash cards we worked SOOO hard on his speech.  Now that he is 7 and we have the VERY reduced funding amount I can't afford an SLP, BC and a BI on my single income.  But now because his speech has improved ENOUGH he isn't eligible for SLP services in school, but he is barely over that line for SLP services. Which because of that his reading and writing are behind, but not enough.  By all account he APPEARS ok and meeting expectations but he struggles so much. Will these hubs then say, oh he's fine he doesn't need this and then fall between the cracks again?  

My other concern is families already have their teams their kids are comfortable with their BI's/BC's (if they are doing ABA) but what if (like in my case) my BC is out of Chilliwack and our BI is in Langley, we live in Surrey.  Does that mean we can't work with our BC and BI because they won't belong to our hub? 

Truly I think MCFD should have waited on this announcement and had a full run down - costs, funding, what these hubs will look like, types of therapies etc.  

its not so much centralization thats the issue with moves like this, its whether or not they are properly funded, and the slate of services actually offered. Have they actually created better services or just longer lines? I hope for your sake its better.

I briefly heard an interview on Global this morning with the head of Autism BC - their take is that they were not meaningfully consulted nor do they like the proposed model.  They said it doesn't address several main issues such as lack of funding and existing models which are working just fine for many groups all over the province already.  Lack of consultation seems to be a common theme across all governments and all ministries sadly.

1 hour ago, Danie_Canuck said:

I agree with what you're saying. I share those concerns. 

Until we know the actual plan for how these services are proposed to be implemented, families will be feeling anxious. 

And your personal experience is a really important point. With strong, well-funded early intervention, kids on the autism spectrum can grow to be very functional adults. A reduction in service could be devastating. Who will be making the decision as to which family receives how much support? 

I understand that children living with other (non-spectrum) developmental delays also need access to funding but it seems reasonable to just give those families access to direct funding much like the autism funding model.