The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van + NJD [Proposal]

To NJD

Tanner Pearson

To Van

Michael McLeod 6'2 RHC with above average faceoff prowess. 23years old former 1st round pick. Maybe he can reach Pearsons production level 

Christian Jaros 6'3 220lbs RHD prototypical depth D big physical can skate responsible defensively. 

Honestly. I'm not so sure about my values here. They get the better player we balance our line up get younger and save some cap for future moves. Pod makes Pearson expendable and we need a RHC who can win a draw and take a regular shift. Jaros is injured but would be a good depth fit for us once healthy. The writing is on the wall for Pearson especially with Klim coming. Maybe we toss in Juulsen/Bowie for a 7th or something if they want a depth RHD already cleared waivers. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1

Don’t see why that would interest NJD.  They are still in a rebuild.  Their core is Hughes, Hischier, Blackwood.  Pearson doesn’t fit that age group while McLeod does.  He also fills an important position of need at C for them.  

Vancouver doesn’t do that either.  They are looking to compete now and Pearson was signed early because they saw him as a key part of the team.  Benning explained how it was important to bring him back.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Pearson would instantly make their top 6 in NJ. Where pretty soon here he will be relegated to bottom 6 checker. 

but.... where does he have better career opportunities related to winning a Cup? I'm going to say they are somewhat better here in Vancouver, but then I may be being a bit of a homer.  :)

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Pearson would instantly make their top 6 in NJ. Where pretty soon here he will be relegated to bottom 6 checker. 

NJD is building for the long term.  Hughes has yet to break out.  There’s no reason to add Pearson when they aren’t ready to compete for the Cup.  Developing McLeod to become part of a team that can challenge for the Cup is far more valuable.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

but.... where does he have better career opportunities related to winning a Cup? I'm going to say they are somewhat better here in Vancouver, but then I may be being a bit of a homer.  :)

regards,  G.

NJ has won more cups than vancouver no? Which team would you bet on to win a cup first??? My heart says Van but if I were a betting man. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

NJ has won more cups than vancouver no? Which team would you bet on to win a cup first??? My heart says Van but if I were a betting man. 

Yeah, and the last one was around 20 years ago. Not sure that I see the relevance of previous Cup wins from some time longer than a few years ago. How many guys from that last Cup winning team are still even with the Devils, let alone still in the NHL, or even playing professionally? 

regards,  G.

29 minutes ago, mll said:

NJD is building for the long term.  Hughes has yet to break out.  There’s no reason to add Pearson when they aren’t ready to compete for the Cup.  Developing McLeod to become part of a team that can challenge for the Cup is far more valuable.

Rebuilding teams still need veteran leadership. Anyway proposal was just a thought. Seemed like a fair swap. Nico or Jack could use a guy who's good on the boards. 

Edited by hammertime

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Rebuilding teams still need veteran leadership. Anyway proposal was just a thought. Seemed like a fair swap 

Which they already have.  They’ve opened up spots because they want to give opportunities to their young players. 

I don’t think Benning wants to trade Pearson given how he described his importance and they want to make the playoffs.  If he is to be traded I’d look at teams that are trying to compete and haven’t had the start they wanted.  More vet for vet trade to shake things up.  I don’t see Vancouver wanting futures or players who have yet to breakout.  They already have quite a bit of inexperience on their roster - several guys with about 100 NHL games or less.

Making the playoffs is rather critical with several key players soon up for contract renewal.  Benning probably also has his job on the line.  

• Cheers 1

IF they would trade McLeod and the Canucks are in the hunt near the deadline I might be okay throwing a mid round pick at him (8th in draws, only 23, has 2 years left on his ELC).  Agreed that Pearson doesn't really fit their timeline (though they could flip him), but again if we're contending I'd think we keep him (not saying I see Pearson going the other way but I digress).  In any case, I hope we could expand the trade and ship out Brad Hunt for either Siegenthaler (former 1st round pick in WSH, defensive and mobile) or Colton White (previously waived; 6'1", 185 but plays a safe game, which I'd prefer for playoffs).

• Cheers 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:01 PM, mll said:

But I thought adding expensive declining veterans was necessary for rebuilding teams so they don’t develop a losing culture?

Isnt that what Benning supporters keep telling us? Beagle, LE, Roussel, Schiller, Sutter, Gudbranson, etc all say hi. 

Or maybe Benning was just wrong? Lol