The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He didn’t do that while in Vancouver.  That isn’t revisionist thinking.  He just overplayed the vets and let his assistants handle much of the systems work imho.  Again, sure he’d be better than Green but that ain’t saying much.

Torts was the wrong coach at the wrong time when he was hired in Van. That team was a bunch of self entitled vets who were emotionally shattered from their playoff failures. Hell, the team spent 5 years solely trying to give the Sedins another shot at the cup at the expense of what was necessary when they should have torn it down. That screams self entitled view from the top down.

Torts does much better with younger teams who actually want to buy in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Anybody that is against a coaching change at this point is either TGs relative or enjoys arguing online. 

60.something percent on the PK? 

Are you kidding me? 

What is honestly the risk involved with a coaching change? 

Can it get any worse? 

This. Why are people so scared of Green being launched into the core of the sun here?

My expectation is Aquilini will give his full support to Green and Benning today and then when the PK manages to improve to 70% (which is inevitable given it is tracking to be among the worst in nhl history) Aquilini will do a victory lap about how patience paid off. 

32 minutes ago, whcanuck said:

I do think JB is more of the issue than Green. No idea, after having the most successful playoff the franchise had had in a decade, why JB thought it was a good idea to dump ALL those important pieces. Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli & Stecher all had a significant impact on the team’s playoff run. Demko has been a more than capable replacement for Marky, but the other 3? Holy cow did JB drop the ball on those guys. I’ve read a lot of autobiographies by former players & coaches in hockey, and all of them have been on at least a few successful teams. They all say the same thing, “character & leadership are the engine to drive success.” They all talk about how close-knit the successful teams are, a brotherhood, a family. Even minimally talented teams can go really really far if they’re close, if they’re brothers. Does that sound like the current version of the Vancouver Canucks to you?

They’re all wearing the same blue & green jerseys, but believe me, THIS IS NOT A TEAM

I remember being disappointed with a lot of Benning signings or trades and thinking that this was not the way to go (I was willing to wait 5 yrs like Trevor stated and how long has he been gone now without his plan)?

Even when JB stated he wanted to be aggressive and then gets his coach the same term as himself ?

So how much have we benefitted from signing and outbidding All teams for long term over priced UFA contracts over the years and giving away picks?

I stated i know there are many roads to get to the same destination, and with me just being the back street driver was hoping that those decisions would still lead us there, but as it turned out, we have always remained at the bottom and could have remained there picking up cheaper good hard working Vets and retain picks

This road we took is in rough shape and hopefully it's not washed out or turns into a dead end and still leads us to where we all want it too

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Torts was the wrong coach at the wrong time when he was hired in Van. That team was a bunch of self entitled vets who were emotionally shattered from their playoff failures. Hell, the team spent 5 years solely trying to give the Sedins another shot at the cup at the expense of what was necessary when they should have torn it down. That screams self entitled view from the top down.

Torts does much better with younger teams who actually want to buy in. 

Bottom line, we both agree (heh, I think that is) that we need a different head coach behind the bench.  Travis Green might end up being a good head coach in the NHL, just not with this team at this time.  We only disagree on who that person should be (I’m unsure at this point who, but anybody who is a proven NHL head coach would be an improvement).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

37 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Yup totally.... and to be fair, Bailey and Hunt shouldn't even be expected to wow us... they are borderline NHLers/career AHLers....  so we really should stop bashing them and grill Green and Jimbo instead!!!

If Bailey could somehow get meaner and tougher like our beloved Dorsett, I would have loved to see him around as 13th forward... but we can't force him to become something he's not! 

Meaner and tougher?  Nucks were down 6 - 0 and he was giggling away with the avs player.  Hes the last thing this team needs.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Green lost the room during preseason. 

The choices and cuts he made were not on merit and that will be what sunk this team. 

I remember when Tortorella was dealing with a stale Canucks core, here's what he said about Archibald 

Tortorella liked Archibald quite a bit, saying, “I want him to take someone's job. There's really something there.”

Torts saw the writing on the wall and knew team needed spark, toughness etc. He was literally rooting for the underdog to go take a vets job. 

Counter that with Green's preseason decisions. 

Lockwood hit everything in sight. Juolevi was solid on the PK, Gadj scored 2 pts in 2 games with very limited time. 

Green went with Chiasson, Petan, Di Giuseppe, Lammikko, Rathbone, Burroughs and Schenn. 

There is nothing more demotivating than a coach who doesn't even look at the on ice performance when assembling his team. 

There really was no point in having preseason this year. 

We were terrible last year. 

Green needed to have come in and state this is a new year, clean slate and ppl will win or lose jobs based on performance and evaluated it that way. 

Anyone that is defending Green needs to give their heads a shake. 

Exactly

The choices and cuts he made were not on merit and that will be what sunk this team. 

I remember when Tortorella was dealing with a stale Canucks core, here's what he said about Archibald 

Tortorella liked Archibald quite a bit, saying, “I want him to take someone's job. There's really something there.”

Torts saw the writing on the wall and knew team needed spark, toughness etc. He was literally rooting for the underdog to go take a vets job. 

Lockwood hit everything in sight. Juolevi was solid on the PK, Gadj scored 2 pts in 2 games with very limited time. 

Green went with Chiasson, Petan, Di Giuseppe, Lammikko, Rathbone, Burroughs and Schenn. 

There is nothing more demotivating than a coach who doesn't even look at the on ice performance when assembling his team. 

Green needed to have come in and state this is a new year, clean slate and ppl will win or lose jobs based on performance and evaluated it that way. 

Benning defended him by giving him a contract extension.  Ink on that contract might be still wet.:P

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Nail on the head.  Benning should have fired Green on the spot for even suggesting the cuts he made.  I like JB, but I'm a lot more open to firing him for allowing allowing the idiot he has for a coach to cause permanent damage to the franchise.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nail on the head.  Benning should have fired Green on the spot for even suggesting the cuts he made.  I like JB, but I'm a lot more open to firing him for allowing allowing the idiot he has for a coach to cause permanent damage to the franchise.

I'm a pretty big Benning fan but at this point, if he wants to sink with Green, by all means... 

Just now, Heretic said:

SMH...  "Canucks' defensive woes at the centre of their frustrating struggles..."

Your point is still irrelevant. 

Majority of us here are saying the defensive woes exist because of the inept coaching staff who deploy poor strategies that don't fit this team. 

Case in point is Schmidt who came highly touted, struggled last year and got the hell out of Dodge and waived to go to Winnipeg of all places just to get away from Green's system. He has bounced back and is having the year we expected from him last year. 

To me, that's on the coaching staff. 

• Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Bottom line, we both agree (heh, I think that is) that we need a different head coach behind the bench.  Travis Green might end up being a good head coach in the NHL, just not with this team at this time.  We only disagree on who that person should be (I’m unsure at this point who, but anybody who is a proven NHL head coach would be an improvement).

I am preaching patience.

The team doesn’t need its next long term coach immediately. 

Hire a respected PoHO that can act as interim GM while he does an extensive search for the next GM. Jim Rutherford jumps out at me for that role. I think Jeff Gorton would be a great guy to consider asGM but there are lots of guys that should be considered. Get this hiring right.

Make Shaw interim head coach. Hire new assistant, maybe even a few former head coaches who want to audition for the permanent job. Let the new long term GM and PoHO evaluate the roster before making any big changes to the core.

At minimum, this forces the players to be on their toes about having to earn what they get again. And it gives them a reset on their hope the team can rebound. The psychological impact of these moves on the players cannot be overstated imho.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am preaching patience.

Hire a respected PoHO that can act as interim GM while he does an extensive search for the next GM. Jim Rutherford jumps out at me for that role. I think Jeff Gorton would be a great guy to consider asGM but there are lots of guys that should be considered. Get this hiring right.

Make Shaw interim head coach. Hire new assistant, maybe even a few former head coaches who want to audition for the permanent job. Let the new long term GM and PoHO evaluate the roster before making any big changes to the core.

At minimum, this forces the players to be on their toes about having to earn what they get again. And it gives them a reset on their hope the team can rebound. The psychological impact of these moves on the players cannot be understated imho.

He hasn't been a NHL head coach before has he though?  Extensive assistant coach experience to be sure but I think it's time we had somebody with experience already as a head coach at this level.  No more rookie NHL head coaches like Willie or Green.  But I suppose in an interm role..(will be tough to sign a head coach at this point in the season anyhow).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He hasn't been a NHL head coach before has he though?  Extensive assistant coach experience to be sure but I think it's time we had somebody with experience already as a head coach at this level.  No more rookie NHL head coaches like Willie or Green.

He was the interim head coach for the Islanders years ago.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am preaching patience.

At minimum, this forces the players to be on their toes about having to earn what they get again. And it gives them a reset on their hope the team can rebound. The psychological impact of these moves on the players cannot be understated imho.

Yes the psychological part is huge and that's why I want the coach fired asap. 

Losing has become an acceptable culture here. 

I thought we overpaid on all the vets and thumbed our nose at the oiler and leafs for being so stupid to let their kids burn. 

Funny thing is, we insulated the kids and now we are letting them burn when they should be taking the next step

• Like 1

Your point is still irrelevant. 

Majority of us here are saying the defensive woes exist because of the inept coaching staff who deploy poor strategies that don't fit this team. 

Case in point is Schmidt who came highly touted, struggled last year and got the hell out of Dodge and waived to go to Winnipeg of all places just to get away from Green's system. He has bounced back and is having the year we expected from him last year. 

To me, that's on the coaching staff. 

No, my point is not irrelevant - just because I'm not on the "fire Green" bandwagon.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has to go - just for the sake of change.

Don't be so close minded.  

Just now, King Heffy said:

He was the interim head coach for the Islanders years ago.

I was acting GM of a Rotten Ronalds when that person had to go to washroom.:P  But yeah, I was thinking of someone with more proven experience but for the short-term, I wouldn't have an issue with that.