The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Here’s the thing I disagree with about that.

Who you get to coach ALWAYS matters. Green isn’t a $&!#ty coach because he lost games with a Swiss cheese roster. He is a $&!#ty coach because he hasn’t really developed a single player to be more than they were the day they showed up and has never had any ability to manage a roster or build systems that get the most out of what he had. 

That’s the difference good coaching makes. Being a rebuilding team doesn’t excuse hiring a bargain basement $&!# coach.

He was having success at lower leagues. Why do we need to continue to recycle the same NHL coaches around. If you are rebuilding, I say try lower level coaches or coaches from other leagues. See what they got. It does not matter. Now that games do matter Green is not what we hoped, move on. This is not as tragic as you make it.

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Context matters.

We traded dead cap and a couple picks for OEL and Garland who are both contributing to the team. Players that have, arguably, made the team better. A stretch I know, at the moment.

So, while other teams like TO traded had to give up a 1st to clear Marleau off the team we got players back.

We were not crippled. Also, some of those players were a benefit to the team. Cap was a bit high on Beagle and Sutter but it did not cripple us. It think was are still fielding a team that has on paper gotten better. 

Take a look at the long term cap situation the Canucks have. It’s worse than it was. Because he pushed his chips all in on this roster. 

The roster is better but is it really a cap max playoff quality roster?

Not even close.

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just a hunch cause good chance, Aquaman & JB would be unwilling to admit to a mistake this early in the season by firing Green, after signing him to a 2yr extension - imo.  Hence, the only move that seems to make sense - right now, is to make a trade to buy the Canuck brass some time till (perhaps) later into this season or after to make a leadership decision.   Just have to wait & see by paying attention at what is being 'leaked' or pushed by the media.   

He has admitted to many by trading players away. Why now he is not able to?

Just now, FaninMex said:

He was having success at lower leagues. Why do we need to continue to recycle the same NHL coaches around. If you are rebuilding, I say try lower level coaches or coaches from other leagues. See what they got. It does not matter. Now that games do matter Green is not what we hoped, move on. This is not as tragic as you make it.

Unless you think ruining the development of most of our prospects and/or getting rid of them for garbage to keep plugs is damaging. Which I do.

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Take a look at the long term cap situation the Canucks have. It’s worse than it was. Because he pushed his chips all in on this roster. 

The roster is better but is it really a cap max playoff quality roster?

Not even close.

We had a discussion about this. Make the playoffs and see who shines. Then, you can trade whoever. Cap is worse, I dunno but there is always a trade or something that can benefit the team without being the end of the world like you make it. Who cares? There are much worse things in this world than cap that is years away. For example; I live in Slovenia which has the worst amount of people with covid per 100,000. It is well over 2000 per 100,000. There are almost 50,000 infected and only 2 million in the country and I am starting to feel sick. Sore throat, headache, chills etc... Does the cap space a few years from now really matter? Really?

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He traded them with 1 year left. For guys that have 6 and 5 year contracts. That’s not admitting a mistake, it’s repeating one.

Why? OEL is still performing. Garland is a very good player. I am happy with them on the team. Hughes signed a decent contract. Ok. What is the mistake?

4 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

He has admitted to many by trading players away. Why now he is not able to?

We will just have to wait & see cause like I just stated earlier, Aquaman has not been in a similar position as Canuck owner before, so there is no reference point, as to what he MIGHT do.  Regardless, I dont see them making a leadership move - right now cause just like last year, it is already an uphill battle to make a playoff spot.  

8 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

We will just have to wait & see cause like I just stated earlier, Aquaman has not been in a similar position as Canuck owner before, so there is no reference point, as to what he MIGHT do.  Regardless, I dont see them making a leadership move - right now cause just like last year, it is already an uphill battle to make a playoff spot.  

I called for Green to be fired last year. However, the bolded I do agree with.

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

I called for Green to be fired last year. However, the bolded I do agree with.

Same; but JB with Aquamans' approval doubled down with Green: by re signing him & giving him a deeper roster - to perhaps re evaluate an up & coming coach in the NHL.  Not sure, where the narrative came from - that Green is a desired coach around the league - cause his record tends to indicate & confirm that he is mediocre coach.

27 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

We had a discussion about this. Make the playoffs and see who shines. Then, you can trade whoever. Cap is worse, I dunno but there is always a trade or something that can benefit the team without being the end of the world like you make it. Who cares? There are much worse things in this world than cap that is years away. For example; I live in Slovenia which has the worst amount of people with covid per 100,000. It is well over 2000 per 100,000. There are almost 50,000 infected and only 2 million in the country and I am starting to feel sick. Sore throat, headache, chills etc... Does the cap space a few years from now really matter? Really?

So people coming to a Canucks forum should not discuss the team or be concerned about the team because there are worse things in the world?

Sorry bud this is a weak argument. OMG don’t criticize the Canucks because it’s no big deal in the world! No one said there aren’t worse things in the world. We are here to discuss the team though it’s kind of the point. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If a locker room issue is preventing players from producing, there's just as much of an issue with the non-producing players being mentally fragile as there is with the locker room issue player. 

Agree... we look not just physically soft but mentally soft as well... Very few seems to step up to the plate and take responsibility on the ice. Could care less about pre and post match explanations...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• 1 year later...