The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

10 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I seen a very good effort after a very bad start yeah the pk did kill us again but sometimes the refs show us that their parents did a piss poor job.

Continual bad starts game after game tells you poor preparation.  That’s all on the coaches.  Not the players.  Not the refs.  Been like this all season so far.

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just saw the last two periods on PVR and thought the played really well, however.....

Special teams? what special teams... Almost waiting for a goal to be conceded at every single PK. Thought they brought in a coach to help with the PK... Fire the lot... useless.

Can't say I blame QH for losing it... there is zero payback to anyone, who nail one of our players... Green and Benning I'm looking at yous... where the hell is the muscle?

And finally, too bad Kadri didn't get hit harder into the post by Miller... POS he is...

Oh well guess this is the season gone, so wonder when Green and the rest of the garbage coaches get sacked... clueless.

Where is the muscle?  Lost in favour of AHL crap like Chaisson.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I seen a very good effort after a very bad start yeah the pk did kill us again but sometimes the refs show us that their parents did a piss poor job.

I do believe our players have skill and should be a much better team, sadly it looks like Green has lost them.

1 minute ago, Houdini said:

I do believe our players have skill and should be a much better team, sadly it looks like Green has lost them.

I too believe Jim Benning has given him the players to be much better than this.  Cup contending?  Of course not, but clearly not lottery pick team type of performance either.  But if Jim Benning refuses to make changes then he has to be considered to be moved as well.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Continual bad starts game after game tells you poor preparation.  That’s all on the coaches.  Not the players.  Not the refs.  Been like this all season so far.

I’m no Green supporter I don’t think I will ever get over losing Mac and Gadj I do wish he was/is let go but I won’t lie I liked our guys effort tonight was that them not wanting to be blown out or were they trying to save their coach we will never know.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, CanuckleHorse said:

I’m no Green supporter I don’t think I will ever get over losing Mac and Gadj I do wish he was/is let go but I won’t lie I liked our guys effort tonight was that them not wanting to blown out or were they trying to save their coach we will never know.

Avs played a typical road game where they either had the lead or the game was tied most of the time.  Hence, the game looked closer than it was imho.

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Avs played a typical road game where they either had the lead or the game was tied most of the time.  Hence, the game looked closer than it was imho.

After the $&!#ty start they pushed hard the rest of the game 5 on 5 I seen to many missed calls for my liking also that phantom call really killed them.

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

This had ZERO to do with missed calls or phantom calls.  
Penalties happen. 
We should be able to go a game without giving up a minimum of 2 PP goals.  

Blaming the refs is chumpsauce. 
This team sucks and didn’t play good enough to win. 

Thing is, our power play sucks as well.:lol:

• Cheers 1

I would like Aquaman to explain to the fans why they never did a proper rebuild and answer this question. 

Where do we go from here?

Jim's had 8 years and the farm system has little in it to give hope. Will this retool go on forever?

Glad I didn’t watch. Too painful.

What blows me away mostly is that there have been no changes. The GM is failing at his job. Things have become stale. Losing has sadly become acceptable all the way up to ownership. 

The only way things will change is if we all stop going to the games. 

I was in attendance last night as I wanted to watch the team play just in case it was their last game together as a group.  

A few minor observations:

1) The biggest difference that I noticed between the Canucks and the Avs in the first period was in their passing game.  Not only were the Avs making tape to tape passes at a very high efficiency rate, but the players receiving these passes were already moving forward which allowed the Avs to break out of their zone effectively and/or set up offensively.  By contrast, our passes were sloppy and even if we made tape to tape passes on infrequent occasions, the player receiving the pass was often stationary, which then allowed Avalanche players to be all over our player.  To me, this is indicative of a fault in the system.  Do you mean to tell me that guys like OEL and Hughes aren’t capable of making fast break out tape to tape passes, and that guys like Petey, Garland, Hoglander, etc., aren’t capable of taking those passes and breaking out with speed?  

2) The Canucks carried the play in the 2nd period and seemed to correct the deficiency described above.

3) The Canucks actually carried the play 5 on 5 in the second period but they obviously can’t kill a penalty for the life of them.  I don’t know how accurate this observation is but to me, it seems like the Av shooters had all kinds of time to set up from the point and fire off shots.  Demko’s weakness seems to be in facing long range shots and so the Avs took full advantage here.  “Ready fire aim” seems to be the Avs motto on the power play whereas the Canucks’ PP method seems to be in slowly and methodically trying to set up which often ends up in us making low percentage non high danger scoring chances.

My conclusion:   Based on this game, I do believe that the Canucks have a team that is good enough to Atleast make the playoffs.  Unfortunately, I do believe that whatever “system” we have in place on both special teams and 5 on 5 is simply not effective.