The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

13 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Not lower, just more realistic. I have been extremely unfortunate in my career that I have actually been able to spend significant time working with professional athletes. I can see how people can view them as less than, but I still see them as humans who have human emotions and problems. I also see how for the overwhelming majority their family is their single biggest support system to be relied on.

A 20 year old allowing a journalist to interview his parents so he can continue his leave from the team unobstructed and continue healing from a career threatening head says absolutely nothing about a persons mental fortitude.

That's fine in your opinion.

In my opinion, this is just a bright red flag that the Canucks best stay far away from Byram.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't disagree with you at all, but that's my point though... there is a ton of risk here surrounding Byram.

Fair enough, as I can't agree more that there is a ton of risk surrounding Byram. I wouldn't touch a trade with him in it unless it's certain he will fully recover. 

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're overthinking the situation and possibly not being sympathetic enough. He could be experiencing some serious depression that often comes with a concussion history, or speaking to the media might bring a ton of undue stress, etc. It sounds like he's really struggling through this, so his main support network speaking on his behalf might simply be just that. 

Not to mention some of the major ways to heal from concussion is to decrease screen time, bright lights and sounds, and decrease stress.  The exact opposite of booting up zoom and doing and interview that much of a teams fanbase is going to read.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Plenty of players get over concussion issues.  Not saying it wouldnt be a risk, it would........but it by could be a franchise changing payoff if it worked out

How many concussions has Byram had though? He’s not even 25 yet, and he’s had multiple, if I’m not mistaken? He could very well be like Ferland in that if he has one more major hit in a game, could be his career that’s over. We really going to hope he doesn’t get hit in a game where hits are natural and normal and even frequent? 

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Fair enough, as I can't agree more that there is a ton of risk surrounding Byram. I wouldn't touch a trade with him in it unless it's certain he will fully recover. 

But nobody can promise that Byram will fully recover. How do you do that?

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Not to mention some of the major ways to heal from concussion is to decrease screen time, bright lights and sounds, and decrease stress.  The exact opposite of booting up zoom and doing and interview that much of a teams fanbase is going to read.

You know Zoom doesn't have to be video calls right?  There's such a thing known as voice calls.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

You trade for him when he's healthy and fully recovered :)

Yeah, but we’re talking about Miller going the other way. How long is it going to take for Byram to be fully healthy and recovered? 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

You know Zoom doesn't have to be video calls right?  There's such a thing known as voice calls.

NO. 

Video calls or bust

:P

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Just think of it like that show with the Rock ...Jumanji...you don't know if you come back as a boy or girl!

It's international women's day... I am NOT taking that risk.

Just now, HKSR said:

So we eliminate 1 aspect in screen time, but still face the problem of both sound and stress. You can keep with this all you want, but it's clear to me you're speaking from emotions from a fan on the outside, not someone who actually understands this subject thoroughly.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but we’re talking about Miller going the other way. How long is it going to take for Byram to be fully healthy and recovered? 

Easy: if Byram can't be shown to be fully recovered then you don't make the trade.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

So we eliminate 1 aspect in screen time, but still face the problem of both sound and stress. You can keep with this all you want, but it's clear to me you're speaking from emotions from a fan on the outside, not someone who actually understands this subject thoroughly.

Lol ok doctor.  I come from the perspective that no professional athlete should have mom and dad relay messages to media.  If you think Hodgson and Brule are the role models for Byram, then so be it.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Lol ok doctor.  I come from the perspective that no professional athlete should have mom and dad relay messages to media.  If you think Hodgson and Brule are the role models for Byram, then so be it.

You're basing it off of "family situations" from the past, but you have no idea what's up with him and his family. With that logic Quinn shouldn't have his parents involved in anything regarding him and his brothers. It doesn't sound to me like your point is we shouldn't trade for him but that he's a mentally weak professional. 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

probably for the start of next season

25 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But nobody can promise that Byram will fully recover. How do you do that?

it's a big risk, no doubt.  I'd assume that they'd have every concussion expert they could find give their opinion on it before a trade and I'm sure there'd be some restitution clause in the deal as well.

However, if he were able to get fully healthy, you're looking at the #1 dman on the team in a few years, better than Hughes most likely.

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You're basing it off of "family situations" from the past, but you have no idea what's up with him and his family. With that logic Quinn shouldn't have his parents involved in anything regarding him and his brothers. It doesn't sound to me like your point is we shouldn't trade for him but that he's a mentally weak professional. 

Or players who has their parents help negotiate their contract. Lindros, Messier, Ovechkin, and Tkachuk come to mind without thinking too hard.