The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'd have no issue with a team rep doing the talking.  That happens all the time.  What doesn't happen all the time is mom and dad talking about how their baby has a boo boo (ok ok, totally uncalled for, but you know what I mean).  Like I said, I saw Hodgson's dad and Brule's dad get involved with their kid's career, and it just went straight downhill after that.  It's just another reason why I really don't like the idea of trading for Byram unless he's a complimentary piece of the package (Newhook is the guy we want).

I wouldn't want him as the primary piece right now for sure. 

But on the note of parents being involved with their kid's careers.. how do you think most players get to the NHL? More often than not it's their parents, or a caregiver, being involved. Is it just that? Of course not, players need to be sufficiently talented, but someone's funding it all. How many stories have we heard over the years from players about how much their parents sacrificed so they could play hockey? Parents are almost always involved, I'd imagine it's usually just more behind the scenes kind of stuff. Contract negotiations, venting, discussion, encouragement, where they should sign.. of course they're involved, though likely more for younger players I'd imagine. 

I suppose you just take issue with a more visible presence? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

You're also not a professional athlete.  Part of their job is to speak to media.

I lost my dad to cancer a couple months ago.  I am in management and oversee a team of several employees.  No matter how depressed and emotionally broken I was, I still did the things I needed to do (provided directives for my staff in my absence) to keep my work going while I was away for a period of time.  It's called being professional.  I didn't just walk away from my responsibilities.  I sure as heck didn't have my wife send the emails and make the phone calls on my behalf.

So your way is the right way, and any situation where it happens differently is wrong and unprofessional?

Sounds like the old "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps therefore anyone can/should" mentality. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't want him as the primary piece right now for sure. 

But on the note of parents being involved with their kid's careers.. how do you think most players get to the NHL? More often than not it's their parents, or a caregiver, being involved. Is it just that? Of course not, players need to be sufficiently talented, but someone's funding it all. How many stories have we heard over the years from players about how much their parents sacrificed so they could play hockey? Parents are almost always involved, I'd imagine it's usually just more behind the scenes kind of stuff. Contract negotiations, venting, discussion, encouragement, where they should sign.. of course they're involved, though likely more for younger players I'd imagine. 

I suppose you just take issue with a more visible presence? 

I think it's gotten out of hand.  I don't think I've ever said parents can't be a support system for a player.  It's just that when it comes to media, a mom or dad shouldn't be speaking on their behalf. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

So your way is the right way, and any situation where it happens differently is wrong and unprofessional?

Sounds like the old "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps therefore anyone can/should" mentality. 

Oh boy, I guess I look at professionalism in the workplace differently.  Especially when it comes to the elite level professionals of an NHL hockey player making millions upon millions of dollars.  I'd rather see a hockey player not comment at all until they are ready than to have mom or dad speak on their behalf.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Oh boy, I guess I look at professionalism in the workplace differently.  Especially when it comes to the elite level professionals of an NHL hockey player making millions upon millions of dollars.  I'd rather see a hockey player not comment at all until they are ready than to have mom or dad speak on their behalf.

Your professional setting is quite different than professional hockey, where family is almost always involved in their hockey player's life and road to the NHL. Yet another false equivalency on your part. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Nope, it's just that your standard placed on professional athletes is lower than mine.  That's all it is.

Crosby never had mom or dad talk to the media on his behalf.  And like I pointed out, very, very, very few players have ever had their mom or dad speak on their behalf.  Cody Hodgson comes to mind.  Same with Gilbert Brule.

It sure looks like you don’t understand what journalists do for a living. 

Just now, Jester13 said:

Your professional setting is quite different than professional hockey, where family is almost always involved in their hockey player's life and road to the NHL. Yet another false equivalency on your part. 

I can honestly say, I have only heard of a mom or dad speaking on behalf of a player's injury once or twice... EVER.  Both times it turned into a nasty outcome.  It just doesn't happen because these guys know it's not professional.

Again, I never ONCE said parents shouldn't be a part of their hockey lives.  That's just ridiculous.  Of course they should be.  But they should also know when to take a step back so their child can do their part.

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

It sure looks like you don’t understand what journalists do for a living. 

Ok then, tell me another time other that Hodgson and Brule where the parent spoke on behalf of a player's injury status. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I can honestly say, I have only heard of a mom or dad speaking on behalf of a player's injury once or twice... EVER.  Both times it turned into a nasty outcome.  It just doesn't happen because these guys know it's not professional.

Again, I never ONCE said parents shouldn't be a part of their hockey lives.  That's just ridiculous.  Of course they should be.  But they should also know when to take a step back so their child can do their part.

You keep adding/changing your point. You've been critical of Byram's mental fortitude without knowing the full story and instead assuming a lot based off of your own way of looking at the world. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

You keep adding/changing your point. You've been critical of Byram's mental fortitude without knowing the full story and instead assuming a lot based off of your own way of looking at the world. 

I'm done with this.  So are others.  Moving on... <see above>

• Thanks 1

Canucks Trying to Get a Defenseman

Friedman also noted that he’s not sure which forward is going to be moved by the Vancouver Canucks and while some think it will be Brock Boeser, Friedman believes it will be the player who fetches the Canucks the best return. Friedman thinks Jim Rutherford is looking for a good, young defenseman to play with Quinn Hughes. 

He says Nils Lundqvist’s name and Bowen Byram’s name has come up. Friedman isn’t sure it’s either of those players but he noted a source said, “I will bet you, whoever gets trade from Vancouver, you’re going to look at the defenseman in the deal and say that’s the guy that Vancouver wanted all along.”

Marek Believes Avalanche Focused on J.T. Miller

Marek responded to Friedman’s comments on Boeser being traded and thinks it will be J.T. Miller who leaves the Canucks and goes to Colorado if the two teams make a deal because of the timing of the potential trade. Marek points out that Miller has one more year of term and wonders if Nazem Kadri is going to walk away next season in free agency. Miller slides into the second-line center spot next season, which also happens to be the final year Nathan McKinnon is on his very team-friendly deal.

Friedman said he likes Marek’s theory and that could be why he’s heard the Avalanche have also looked into Andrew Copp.

Gotta wonder if thinks heat up closer to the deadline, we're getting there. The Rangers are 7-2-1 in their last 10 and they play a Minnesota team that's 2-8-0 in their last 10 tonight, one would think they'll be buyers. But who do they buy? Do they up the ante and bite on Miller?

Kreider's tied his career high 53 points in 56 games, he's absolutely smashed his career high for goals with 38. It's unlikely he doesn't break 50 at this pace. 

Shesterkin has got to be the Vezina frontrunner at this point and should be a Hart contender as well if he keeps it up, if there was ever a season for the Rangers to go big it'd seemingly be this one. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Gotta wonder if thinks heat up closer to the deadline, we're getting there. The Rangers are 7-2-1 in their last 10 and they play a Minnesota team that's 2-8-0 in their last 10 tonight, one would think they'll be buyers. But who do they buy? Do they up the ante and bite on Miller?

Kreider's tied his career high 53 points in 56 games, he's absolutely smashed his career high for goals with 38. It's unlikely he doesn't break 50 at this pace. 

Shesterkin has got to be the Vezina frontrunner at this point and should be a Hart contender as well if he keeps it up, if there was ever a season for the Rangers to go big it'd seemingly be this one. 

If the rags keep winning though, do they feel that they need to make a big splash though?  I'd think it only makes sense for them if they don't touch the guys that are currently playing.  Enter Kravtsov, Lundkvist, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, etc.

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If the rags keep winning though, do they feel that they need to make a big splash though?  I'd think it only makes sense for them if they don't touch the guys that are currently playing.  Enter Kravtsov, Lundkvist, 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, etc.

Depends, because there's a difference between regular season success and playoff success. Playing a different team every night is different than trying to go deep and eventually having to play Tampa, Carolina, or Florida in a seven game series. 

Are they good enough to beat these teams in a seven games series? Particularly if any of them add? Florida's been rumoured to be looking to add for a while. 

Acquiring Miller could be a kingmaker type move for a team like the Rangers or the Avs. Given how he's played this season he could absolutely be the piece that pushes a team over the top, and that's gotta be worth pondering. 

Is Schneider so irreplaceable that they wouldn't be willing to move him for that piece? Fox played 22:13 against Winnipeg the other night, he's back, which likely puts Schneider behind him and Trouba again. Is the guy currently playing 3D for them really going to be the sticking point during a season they could go for a run? 

Edited by Coconuts

For reference, Schneider has averaged about 15:51 in icetime thus far this season. Give them Miller and someone like Schenn who's playing above his pay grade and who's demonstrated that he can play high level hockey via his winning back to back cups with the Lightning and maybe that moves the needle? It'd go a long ways towards making them tougher to play against. 

Edited by Coconuts