JVR

Combo of these players & assets:

5th OA

23 1st

Frost

York

Tuomaala

Foerster

I don't think the Flyers would give up Provorov if they're going all in and the only D prospect they have that's worth anything is York.

I could see a BIG deal with Philly if they are really going for it. Torts is not a coach who would have signed up for a rebuild so as dreger has said they will be aggressive (see my post below). As with you I see a Miller Myers deal but also think Boeser and potentially Rathbone should be involved. Why? Because if we are trading miller we need a player like Provorov back (assuming Miller is signed to an extension).

Canucks to Philly - Miler, Myers, Rathbone

Philly To Van - Provorov, 2022 1st round 5OA, 2023 2nd round, JVR (Cap dump UFA end of season so we can move him out for a pick), Zack Mckewan (undo JB's bad move).

Rationale 

Miller if re-signed is worth Provorov and the 1st

Myers and Rathbone are worth the 2023 2nd plus Mckewan - with Provorov, Rathbone has no room on this team anymore.

JVR is cap move for Philly 

We now have a world class LD

We now have cap room with Myers and Miller out to sign a UFA like Forsberg and a RD

Mckewan adds the grit on the 4th line we are lacking

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So you want to build for how far off in the future?

I want us to build until we have a group of young players, who when they are in their primes can compete with the best teams’ cores.  Right now, we don’t have that group.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I want us to build until we have a group of young players, who when they are in their primes can compete with the best teams’ cores.  Right now, we don’t have that group.  

In your opinion we don't. 

I mean, you slam Demko like he's trash and you overlooked the part where we can beat the Avs (etc.).

What do you consider "their primes"?

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Our goaltending is on point. I'd say Petey and Quinn give us a good shot despite some setbacks. Podz is proving to be all that we're hoping he is (and will likely only build off that). Brock had an off year but I'm not giving up on him yet. We do compete with top clubs...we beat the Avs in March and in an OT game that I was at that showed us we can.

Changes aren't always improvements...sometimes they're downgrades. But people talk like it's an instant upgrade...that's your first mistake.

Our bubble playoff team is quickly dismissed/overlooked by some. Not sure why that is.

The issue is our cap

JB mismanaged it and we have a lot of holes.

So we have a choice. Give to get, or try and tinker with a team that is clearly not good enough to win a championship

How exactly do we improve materially in the areas we are weak (RD, 3c etc) without moving a valuable piece? GM's are not stupid, they aren't taking scraps for players that will be difference makers for us.

And I am on the keep Miller move Bo train, but it seems many here want to ignore the fact we have too many holes and not enough cap to fill them via ufa etc.

It seems many want to keep ALL our favorites (understandable), but we also have to be realistic given our constraints, that we will have to give up some players we may like to improve the TEAM as a whole.

Honestly, the more I read the boards, I think people are not really being objective in how many holes we have and the fact you do have to give to get when trading players.

If your plan is tinker around the edges with little cap space, how is that any different that what Benning did for the last 8 years?

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Our goaltending is on point. I'd say Petey and Quinn give us a good shot despite some setbacks. Podz is proving to be all that we're hoping he is (and will likely only build off that). Brock had an off year but I'm not giving up on him yet. We do compete with top clubs...we beat the Avs in March and in an OT game that I was at that showed us we can.

Changes aren't always improvements...sometimes they're downgrades. But people talk like it's an instant upgrade...that's your first mistake.

Our bubble playoff team is quickly dismissed/overlooked by some. Not sure why that is.

Like Little Joe did by trading ROR and Duchene; steps back are needed to leap ahead.

Sakic knew his club couldn’t compete with the top clubs’ cores, so he made the tough decisions to get the picks/assets in so (in time) his club could.  We are where he was then.  We need to make the tough choices.  JR has said he will make those tough choices.  

Get ‘er done JR.  :frantic:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NucknAsia said:

The issue is our cap

JB mismanaged it and we have alot of holes.

So we have a choice. Give to get, or try and tinker with a team that is clearly not good enough to win a championship

How exactly do we improve materially in the areas we are weak (RD, 3c etc) without moving a valuable piece? GM's are not stupid, you have to give to get.

And I am on the keep Miller move Bo train, but it seems many here want to ignore the fact we have too many holes, not enough cap to fill them and keep ALL our favorites, and also have to be realistic that you have to give up some players we may like to improve the TEAM as a whole.

Honestly, the more I read the boards, I think people are not really being objective in how many holes we have and the fact you do have to give to get when trading players. If your plan is tinker around the edges with little cap space, how is that any different that what Benning did for the last 8 years?

Objectivity is in the eye of the beholder and "we're not good enough" an opinion (only).

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

In your opinion.

I mean, you slam Demko like he's trash and you overlooked the part where we can beat the Avs (etc.).

What do you consider "their primes"?

Demko is great.  IMHAO he’s too good for us if the plan is to draft high to fill out our young core around Petey and Quinn.  

Like JR said, Demko steals us 50% of our wins.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko is great.  IMHAO he’s too good for us if the plan is to draft high to fill out our young core around Petey and Quinn.  

Like JR said, Demko steals us 50% of our wins.  

So what was all that crap you spewed all year then? Hard for me to take anything you say seriously after that.

"Too good for us"? If we draft high Petey and Quinn'll start to age out too by the time our picks slide into the line up. We've had a few anomalies, but generally picks require time to develop before they make an impact.

I won't convince anyone but I'm not sure people who think they know it all know any more than the rest of us.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

The issue is our cap

JB mismanaged it and we have alot of holes.

How exactly do we improve materially in the areas we are weak (RD, 3c etc) without moving a valuable piece? GM's are not stupid, you have to give to get.

And I am on the keep Miller move Bo train, but it seems many here want to ignore the fact we have too many holes, not enough cap to fill them and keep ALL our favorites, and also have to be realistic that you have to give up some players we may like to improve the TEAM as a whole.

Honestly, the more I read the boards, I think people are not really being objective in how many holes we have and the fact you do have to give to get when trading players. If your plan is tinker around the edges with little cap space, how is that any different that what Benning did for the last 8 years?

That’s exactly what Benning tried and it’s exactly why we are in our current mess.  

I think Dregger was suggesting the Devils aren’t happy with Blackwood.  Would they consider Demko for Blackwood + 2OA? 

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yeah we do.

Just a few tweaks and off we go. 

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime
What better place than here, what better time than now?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

That’s exactly what Benning tried and it’s exactly why we are in our current mess.  

I think Dregger was suggesting the Devils aren’t happy with Blackwood.  Would they consider Demko for Blackwood + 2OA? 

This current team's a little different than 5-8 years ago.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Objectivity is in the eye of the beholder and "we're not good enough" an opinion (only).

Ok well perhaps you need to go tell Francesco you know more than JR because he and Alvin have pretty much alluded to that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

And no, objectivity is factual

Subjectivity is opinion

Fans need to start being objective and looking at facts not feelings

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we aspire to become as good as Tampa and Colorado are now, we should be trading Miller and Bo for younger assets and picks, so we can be that good in several years, which would be after those two players are beyond their competitive years.  

Trying to build a winner around Miller (and Bo - IMHAO) is a fools game.  

This club needs to build around Petey and Hughes.  Demko can be traded toward the end of his contract if the club’s direction hasn’t turned. 

So basically, if you’re 18, you’re part of the future of this assuredly great team. 

But if you’re 19, you’re an old man with no hope so why are you still playing the game because you’re already halfway in the ground.

Sh!t makes no sense at all. 

32 year old Stamkos says hi.

31 year old Palat says hi.

32 year old Killorn says hi.

34 year old Maroon says hi.

31 year old Herman says hi.

33 year old McDonagh says hi.

31 year old Bogosian says hi.

35 year old Helm says hi.

35 year old Jack Johnson says hi.

30 year old Manson says hi.

34 year old Eric Johnson says hi.

32 year old Kuemper says hi.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good god.

Trade Demko?

I'm gonna slot in your trade proposals in a file with your playoff predictions labelled....way off.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah we do.

Just a few tweaks and off we go. 

It has to start somewhere, it has to start sometime
What better place than here, what better time than now?

And how do you propose we sort our RD issues, 3C issue, bottom 6 issues, and bring in impact players with no cap?

Is Jason Megna available? Vey? How about Bearschi? Maybe we can do that all over again?

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Like Little Joe did by trading ROR and Duchene; steps back are needed to leap ahead.

Sakic knew his club couldn’t compete with the top clubs’ cores, so he made the tough decisions to get the picks/assets in so (in time) his club could.  We are where he was then.  We need to make the tough choices.  JR has said he will make those tough choices.  

Get ‘er done JR.  :frantic:

exactly right

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

So what was all that crap you spewed all year then?

Hard for me to take anything you say seriously after that. "Too good for us"? If we draft high Petey and Quinn'll age out too by the time our picks slide into the line up. We've had a few anomalies, but generally picks require time to develop before they make an impact.

I won't convince anyone but I'm not sure people who think they know it all know any more than the rest of us.

My point all year was that when Demko had a save % under 90 we had no chance of winning, because our team wasn’t good enough to cover for him on his off nights.  JR said exactly the same thing.  Demko has to win us games, and that’s not a good recipe for success unless the other team is weaker than yours (which too many teams aren’t) or they have a crap goalie.  When we match up against the top teams, and their goalie matches Demko, we can’t win a series.  They will outscore us, even though Demko is great, because they have a Demko too.