The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

7 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

No to Rodrigues. We need to get younger. I get the Boeser for Marino who is cap controlled but the additional pieces need to be picks and prospects or a younger roster player. Not 28 yr olds having career years. Never scored more than 10 in a season before this year.. No thanks. I'd get behind a Kapanen and Marino for Boeser trade tho...

We get a RHD and a speedy middle 6 player.

Kapanen would be good as well, but Rodrigues wouldn't be terrible either. Kapanen's point totals have been decreasing over the last 4 years.

Isn't Rodrigues a pretty fast player? Undrafted too. The deal would most definitely be Boeser for Marino (who PIT really likes), and Rodrigues would be the "sweetener".

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Rodrigues - ??  

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Marino

I'm curious what they're going to do with Schenn. I hope they keep him, unless they can get a 1st+ for him.

What makes Marino any good?  Yeah, I get it..contract, but I mean how will he help this team win?  Sub 200lbs,  doesnt look like he contributes much offence....

So we going to trade one of our better pieces at forward for an underwhelming D man and a third line forward at best?

Might as well trade for draft picks and save all the cap to do something impactful with it.  I dont get it.

Never bothered to pay attention, because Marino and Rodrigues have been very good for PIT. 

to PIT - #23 (2015)

to VAN - #154 (2015) and an Undrafted 28-year old player

Doesn't really seem fair does it?  Where the players were drafted shouldn't matter a whole lot, but this seems very lopsided :lol:

15 minutes ago, Darius said:

What makes Marino any good?  Yeah, I get it..contract, but I mean how will he help this team win?  Sub 200lbs,  doesnt look like he contributes much offence....

So we going to trade one of our better pieces at forward for an underwhelming D man and a third line forward at best?

Might as well trade for draft picks and save all the cap to do something impactful with it.  I dont get it.

We're looking for righties that can play in their own end as well, and Marino fits the bill. He plays 20+ minutes a night, his corsi is decent despite being deployed in the D zone 60% of the time, he throws a decent amount of hits, and his giveaway/takeaway ratio is pretty decent too. It's worth noting that he was also in the Calder hunt a few years ago.

Kap is there as a young, cost controlled option to mitigate the loss of Boeser. Saying he's a "third liner at best" isn't really fair. His production indicates to me that he's what I would consider a middle six forward, probably closer to being a 2nd liner than a 3rd liner, although probably a 3rd liner on a contender.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We're looking for righties that can play in their own end as well, and Marino fits the bill. He plays 20+ minutes a night, his corsi is decent despite being deployed in the D zone 60% of the time, he throws a decent amount of hits, and his giveaway/takeaway ratio is pretty decent too. It's worth noting that he was also in the Calder hunt a few years ago.

Kap is there as a young, cost controlled option to mitigate the loss of Boeser. Saying he's a "third liner at best" isn't really fair. His production indicated to me that he's what I would consider a middle six forward, probably closer to being a 2nd liner than a 3rd liner, although probably a 3rs liner on a contender.

I think kap.could easily replace boeser offensively as well as bring a speed element that our team needs.

Kap is there as a young, cost controlled option to mitigate the loss of Boeser. Saying he's a "third liner at best" isn't really fair. His production indicated to me that he's what I would consider a middle six forward, probably closer to being a 2nd liner than a 3rd liner, although probably a 3rs liner on a contender.

i was referring to Rodrigues (sorry should have made it clearer).  28 years old having a career year looking to cash in.  Not a long term solution in my mind.

Marino looks underwhelming to me.  Sub 190 (according to DB) ...may be a good fit...but we are talking about trading a 50-60 point 20+ goal scoring winger.  These are guys you can pick up UFA .

These moves dont help this team improve IMHO.

MIght as well dump Brock for picks and use the 6.5 - 7 million to go after UFAs and keep guys like Motte around.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I think kap.could easily replace boeser offensively as well as bring a speed element that our team needs.

I wouldn't go that far. Boeser is a legitimate first line contributer most seasons, and was probably our best overall player last year.

That said, we do have a tendency to get the most out of supposed "middle six" players. Miller was a middle six player before he was traded here and now he's one of the top forwards in the league. Pearson was able to salvage his career with us as well. Being on our roster and being given a top 6 role might very well be what he needs to get to that next level, or at the very least find the level of production that he at last year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

i was referring to Rodrigues (sorry should have made it clearer).  28 years old having a career year looking to cash in.  Not a long term solution in my mind.

Marino looks underwhelming to me.  Sub 190 (according to DB) ...may be a good fit...but we are talking about trading a 50-60 point 20+ goal scoring winger.  These are guys you can pick up UFA .

MIght as well dump Brock for picks and use the 6.5 - 7 million to go after UFAs and keep guys like Motte around.  

A D that can eat up 20+ mins a night is harder to find than a 60 point winger. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

We tried picking up RD in free agency and now we have a right side of Myers, Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn, one of whom is overpaid by two million dollars and two of which are pure cap dumps at this point (Hamonic debatable though). I can understand wanting picks, but young, quality, cost controlled right D that can play in their own end are such a commodity right now that if you have a chance at one, you bloody well take it.

Just now, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

A D that can eat up 20+ mins a night is harder to find than a 60 point winger. 

But what does he do well?  This is what I dont get?  How does he improve this team.  You are subtracting one of our better forwards, the best forward we had last year, and you are adding a 190lb d man who doesnt generate offence...eating up 20 minutes a night isnt hard to do...i recall stretches when MDZ and Pouliot ate up 20 minutes a night.

We already have guys that can eat up 20 minutes a night.

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We tried picking up RD in free agency and now we have a right side of Myers, Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn, one of whom is overpaid by two million dollars and two of which are pure cap dumps at this point (Hamonic debatable though). I can understand wanting picks, but young, quality, cost controlled right D that can play in their own end are such a commodity right now that if you have a chance at one, you bloody well take it.

im not disputing your line of thought here.  what i am questioning is what makes Marino "quality"?  Offence - nope.  size- nope.   So is he a good shut down d? one that is worth trading one of your best goal scorers for?  

Edited by Darius

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I wouldn't go that far. Boeser is a legitimate first line contributer most seasons, and was probably our best overall player last year.

That said, we do have a tendency to get the most out of supposed "middle six" players. Miller was a middle six player before he was traded here and now he's one of the top forwards in the league. Pearson was able to salvage his career with us as well. Being on our roster and being given a top 6 role might very well be what he needs to get to that next level, or at the very least find the level of production that he at last year.

Maybe not easily replace but I have faith that he can do it. When I look at Brock anymore all I see is a passenger.

Canucks are looking for a good, young RD that can develop and play with Hughes for years.  As much as I like Schenn, he won't be with the team after next season. Hughes needs a consistent D partner for the next 8+ years, and Marino looks like a good option. I much prefer that than taking the risk of trading for Byram.

I wouldn't mind Liljegren, but don't want to see Brock in a Leafs jersey. Rangers aren't trading Schneider and they might not even want Boeser.  Marino seems the most ready to go RD to be paired with Quinn, he's at the right age and has the right toolbox of skill/ability.

The "Hughes - Marino" pairing could be very good one day. 

13 minutes ago, Darius said:

im not disputing your line of thought here.  what i am questioning is what makes Marino "quality"?  Offence - nope.  size- nope.   So is he a good shut down d? one that is worth trading one of your best goal scorers for?  

It appears to me that he's pretty solid wherever he's deployed, which is something our blueline desperately needs. Someone we can feel safe with no matter what position he's in. 

It also should be noted that his 17 points this year would make him our 2nd highest scoring defenseman. And he proved on his rookie season that he has more to give. 

It also needs to be noted that Boeser's value is at an all time low right now. He's having his worst season and has a 7.5 million dollar qualifying offer, and unless he's willing to negotiate for a deal that pays him a lot less than his QO, we'll be stuck paying him that amount if we don't trade him 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

It appears to me that he's pretty solid wherever he's deployed, which is something our blueline desperately needs. Someone we can feel safe with no matter what position he's in. 

It also should be noted that his 17 points this year would make him our 2nd highest scoring defenseman. And he proved on his rookie season that he has more to give. 

It also needs to be noted that Boeser's value is at an all time low right now. He's having his worst season and has a 7.5 million dollar qualifying offer, and unless he's willing to negotiate for a deal that pays him a lot less than his QO, we'll be stuck paying him that amount if we don't resign him.

you make fair points.  im trying to find more info on Marino.  If hes a solid top 4 rhd then it could be a good move, especially if they throw in Kap....im just a little skeptical right now...guy taken in the 6th round, that doesnt produce much...(i know compared to our D his offence might look good , but outside of hughes the bar isnt really high)

Anyhow ,thanks for taking time to respond with some good facts..

cheers

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

But what does he do well?  This is what I dont get?  How does he improve this team.  You are subtracting one of our better forwards, the best forward we had last year, and you are adding a 190lb d man who doesnt generate offence...eating up 20 minutes a night isnt hard to do...i recall stretches when MDZ and Pouliot ate up 20 minutes a night.

We already have guys that can eat up 20 minutes a night.

Just because a player is eating 20 minutes a night doesn't mean they should be. MDZ and Pouliot ate that ice time on one of the worst teams in the league. Marino eats that ice time on a much better team. Schenn is playing above himself right now, and kudos to him for doing so, but is anybody really expecting him to be able to do this for the next several years? Myers isn't getting any younger and, with another good righty on the team, it may help give us an opportunity to shed his salary as a deadline acquisition next year and get a solid piece for him.

Kapanen's best season was less productive than Boeser's worst. I've always liked Kapanen but there's a huge gap between these two. 

I mentioned in another thread about building a defense with a legit top 3 (eg: Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak / Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester / Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen).

So my question with Marino is whether or not could be a legit #2/3D on a contending team, or is he a #4D? If you think he's could be a 2/3 then I'd do it, if your unsure he's more than a good #4 then I don't know if I would unless a 1st is involved.

TOI wise he's been Pittsburgh's #3, the sense I get from reading HF is that when he's on he's played like a legit #3, and when he's not he's been more of a #4/5. 

• Cheers 1