The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Forsberg

Rate this topic

JesseBlue

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Any guy who plays in the NHL is pretty damned good.  Even the goons from  few years back were pretty good.  The NHL is the best of the best.  EvenDouble Flamingo is pretty good.  He’s just soft and scared.  

Played in a pickup game with a guy who played in the NHL for FIVE games. The other team had a few guys that toiled in major junior for a few seasons, he skated circles around them and made me look like Brett Hull. People underestimate how good players are that make it to the NHL, even the goons have a lot of skill, we just don't get to see it

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

8 hours ago, JM_ said:

Forsberg in his prime was a beast. Not sure there's anyone quite like him in the league right now. Peak Kesler year had its moments. 

The closest guy Ive seen to Forsberg is Crosby. They skate somewhat similar, just a monster in the corners with their lower body strength.

• Cheers 1

On 12/20/2021 at 12:35 AM, filthycanuck said:

Played in a pickup game with a guy who played in the NHL for FIVE games. The other team had a few guys that toiled in major junior for a few seasons, he skated circles around them and made me look like Brett Hull. People underestimate how good players are that make it to the NHL, even the goons have a lot of skill, we just don't get to see it

I played beer league at 18. There was a guy in his early 60s who played a few seasons for the Wings. The guy could still outskate most people. 

I have played pick up with current legit NHLers (Trevor Linden being one of them) and the difference in ability is staggering. I could pass just as well or better than a few I've played with but the skating and shot ability was light years ahead. And I had one of the better wrist and snap shots in our rec league back then haha. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I played beer league at 18. There was a guy in his early 60s who played a few seasons for the Wings. The guy could still outskate most people. 

I have played pick up with current legit NHLers (Trevor Linden being one of them) and the difference in ability is staggering. I could pass just as well or better than a few I've played with but the skating and shot ability was light years ahead. And I had one of the better wrist and snap shots in our rec league back then haha. 

Yup I agree, NHL calibre is in a whole other level. The passing too I noticed is leveled up. Like you'd see passes go through sticks tape to tape and it would stick to your blade. I laugh at the idiots when they say something like "even im better than Justin Dowling", no you're not. Dowling, Chiasson as worthless as they are in the Canucks roster, would maul anybody below pro level. The NHL guy I played with was like Dylan something I forgot his last name was, I hockeydb-ed him and he had 5 games with the Panthers and the rest were like Danish league, 2nd tier Finn league, something like that, and he still managed to make a few major junior guys in the other team look like pylons

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup I agree, NHL calibre is in a whole other level. The passing too I noticed is leveled up. Like you'd see passes go through sticks tape to tape and it would stick to your blade. I laugh at the idiots when they say something like "even im better than Justin Dowling", no you're not. Dowling, Chiasson as worthless as they are in the Canucks roster, would maul anybody below pro level. The NHL guy I played with was like Dylan something I forgot his last name was, I hockeydb-ed him and he had 5 games with the Panthers and the rest were like Danish league, 2nd tier Finn league, something like that, and he still managed to make a few major junior guys in the other team look like pylons

If you can make to the NHL you are leaps above most lower tier pros let alone average joes.

The passing they would school most average joes...I just happened to be very very good at it. Like from my end to your stick skating in the neutral zone too hard for schmucks to handle. Could do saucer pases that landed flat. 

What amazed me more was playing against top tier women (played against some who were at team Canada camos) back then. They could skate but had no moves. It was all stick handling with no body fakes. So easy to read. This was late 90s and early 2000s. Watching the top women now though they are far far better and you them do head and shoulder drop fakes. 

20 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

If you can make to the NHL you are leaps above most lower tier pros let alone average joes.

The passing they would school most average joes...I just happened to be very very good at it. Like from my end to your stick skating in the neutral zone too hard for schmucks to handle. Could do saucer pases that landed flat. 

What amazed me more was playing against top tier women (played against some who were at team Canada camos) back then. They could skate but had no moves. It was all stick handling with no body fakes. So easy to read. This was late 90s and early 2000s. Watching the top women now though they are far far better and you them do head and shoulder drop fakes. 

200.gif

• Haha 1