The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Golden Knights

I had an article pop up on my news feed about the Golden Knights being in Cap hell when Eichel and a couple others come off LITR.

https://vegashockeynow.com/2021/12/29/5-golden-knights-who-could-be-on-the-nhl-trade-block-to-free-up-space-for-jack-eichel/

1. EVGENII DADONOV

2. REILLY SMITH

3. Braydon McNabb

4. Mattias Janmark

Now, this article was written before Patches went onto LITR but I was wondering if there was anything JR might want to look at.

For example; they mention Braydon McNabb as a possibility and it could add more team toughness but is he too similar to Schenn?

Any upgrades?

It might mean trading a pick but we could probably get a pick or two if we shift a few players ourselves.

I wonder though, with Vegas in cap hell, they won't want to bring in any salary and will want draft picks in return. Not part of Rutherford's plan by the sounds of it - trading picks for bottom 6 players.

Maybe there's a hockey trade to be made? Like, for example, trading Tyler Motte and a mid to late pick for Nolan Patrick - who's in bust territory.  VGK wouldn't be taking on more money and would have a real good pesky player who's good on the PK.  Canucks would start to rebuild their young core:

Horvat (the old guy)

Garland

Boeser

Pettersson

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Patrick

Hughes

Demko

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

Doubt we can really afford any of those big ticket guys, since we still have our own (R/U)FA's to deal with in Boeser, Motte, Halak and others, plus the cap's only projected to go up by $1 million and we'd only have around $11 million after the increase.  I would do Rathbone for Coghlan, liking getting an extra year of ELC, or my ambitious shot would be offer sheet signing Nicholas Roy for $2 million, if he would sign it as a show-me contract (cost is a 3rd, he's already passed his scoring career highs but in fewer games, but he's never had more than 15 points in a season).  They have around $4 million in cap, and still need to re-sign Hague (top LD, coming off ELC) and re-signing or replacing McNabb, plus a couple others, so they really can't afford him.     

• Cheers 1

My guess is that Reilly Smith and McNabb will be moved. They are both on expiring contracts, so should be able to moveable.

These two alone will create the cap space VGK need to bring their LTIR crew onto the roster.

Taxi squads will also help as they can have a 20 man roster if they want and keep depth players in the taxi.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

My biggest question is Shea Theodore untouchable?

Myers has been great under Boudreau, but I would swap the two or figure a way to get a cheap 2nd pairing RD while moving Myers and get Theodore

He’s as close to untouchable as you’re likely to see.  Even if he wasn’t, why would Vegas move him for an older, more expensive, worse player in Myers? 

• Upvote 1