The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Armchair GM's help me out! (Discussion) (Player evaluations)

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

do you think maybe, just maybe, we're hyper-focusing on Schneider? is he really the answer to our right side issues? is he the only answer?

when I read the scouting on Schneider vs Lundkvist, it seems to me like maybe Schneider is the lower ceiling safer bet. Lundkvist seems to me to be a potential higher scoring d, and we can still go out and get stay at home Schenn's. 

I also like the idea of shoring up some of our F depth as well with some big kids like Cuylle. 

I think there is a reason they sent Lundqvist down, and brought up Schneider. But I think we(I) do focus on Schneider too much, which is why I brought up the others

I think there is a big risk that we just don't know what we are looking at with all of those prospects.................is there someone better suited for us? IDNK

Just now, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think there is a reason they sent Lundqvist down, and brought up Schneider. But I think we(I) do focus on Schneider too much, which is why I brought up the others

I think there is a big risk that we just don't know what we are looking at with all of those prospects.................is there someone better suited for us? IDNK

its very hard to say, development is so fickle. I've been reading up on Lundkvist tho and would not be upset to get him, assuming there are some other pieces. 

I like what I'm reading about Cuylle too, wouldn't mind getting another big F into the mix one bit. A line of him, Podz and Klimovich is a big heavy line that we need to get out of the West. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

OK Lady's and Gents, I need help! Go figure, Mr. Know it all needs help!

So these are players from teams that have multiple RHD young Dmen that "May" be available for trade.

A definition for 

1 )  Blue chip prospect   .................for me this is the very top of the prospects that are expected to be Stars/Elite NHL players............Drivers

2 )  A - prospect  ............................This group is solid 3/4 type Dmen.............not elite/not stars, but solid long term journeymen

3 )  B - prospect, ............................B - prospects are prospects that have a chance to to 5/6 Dmen with shorter careers and lesser minutes, one dimensional

4 )  C - prospect .............................these players are long shots, who may progress and be late bloomers, who may eek out a short NHL career 

I think I know, but would like your input to clarify!

Then, if you would put some ranking to these prospects............again, I think I have it, but would not mind the input..............I will thank you know for your work!

NYR...........................Braden Schneider......A prospect

NYR...........................Nils Ludqvist..............A/B

LA..............................Helge Grans...............B/A

LA..............................Brock Faber................B/A

LA..............................Brandt Clarke..............Blue Chip

LA..............................Sean Durzi..................B/A

COL...........................Justin Barron...............B/A

COL............................Drew Helleson.............B/A

Please have a go at it! I appreciate It!

Regards J.I.A.H.N.

Sure like Schneider and Clarke both future #2 D men with size, grit, skill...

If we take Ludqvist 5'11, 21, RD--NYR need to sweeten deal, Kravtsov 23, 6'3, W- make sure he will play in NHL,- Barron 6'4, 23, C,  Mathew Robertson 20 ,6'4 LD

1st rounder 2022...

Miller 28,6'1, 215 - C/W --Motte 26-W-UFA  - 4th rounder 2023

Other deal Rangers---

Schneider 6'2 RD , 20 --- Chytil 23, 6'3 -- Barron 6'4 -C -23--  2nd rounder 2022

Miller 28 - C/W--  3rd rounder 2023

I do like Colorado prospect pool, I would want Newhook 5'11-C --21-- Kaut 22, 6'2 RW -- Barron--RD, 6'2, 20--1 or 2 yrs away...2023 - 2nd rounder

Colorado do not have 1st or 2nd rounder in 2022 draft..

Miller 2 yrs left would add lots for playoff run--Also Kadri 32- UFA this summer.... Miller would fill void.....

NYR--LA--Colorado have prospect to deal with..

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Sure like Schneider and Clarke both future #2 D men with size, grit, skill...

If we take Ludqvist 5'11, 21, RD--NYR need to sweeten deal, Kravtsov 23, 6'3, W- make sure he will play in NHL,- Barron 6'4, 23, C,  Mathew Robertson 20 ,6'4 LD

1st rounder 2022...

Miller 28,6'1, 215 - C/W --Motte 26-W-UFA  - 4th rounder 2023

Other deal Rangers---

Schneider 6'2 RD , 20 --- Chytil 23, 6'3 -- Barron 6'4 -C -23--  2nd rounder 2022

Miller 28 - C/W--  3rd rounder 2023

I have been sort of pushing something like this....I am convinced that we need a 1st out of it, as well as Schneider, I would take Barron also...........

I have come to terms we could get a 3rd line center other ways.................

So.......yeah........Schneider, Barron and a 1st.............and more if we retain

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I do like Colorado prospect pool, I would want Newhook 5'11-C --21-- Kaut 22, 6'2 RW -- Barron--RD, 6'2, 20--1 or 2 yrs away...2023 - 2nd rounder

Colorado do not have 1st or 2nd rounder in 2022 draft..

Miller 2 yrs left would add lots for playoff run--Also Kadri 32- UFA this summer.... Miller would fill void.....

NYR--LA--Colorado have prospect to deal with..

And again, as I point out they all have multiple RHD prospects

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

Jack Rathbone ranked 60 recently in The Hockey Writers ... he's moved up 20 spots since the start of the season - for any prospect all position.   Woo is also still getting on some lists too (around 80 to start the season - and last year 50th best D prospect by the hockey prophets).    He's a decent trade chip and or player maybe for us in the future himself.   Barron mid season ranking was 81... Nolan Foote 67...Faber 46. Schneider 42...Broberg 35... Edvinsson 25,   Clarke 13, Bryam 5.... the other guys i couldn't find so not really on the same radar as two of our very own guys the last year ....ok Grans 90...other guys to consider Vegas Cormier at 65... Ludqvist didn't make the cut ... at the start of the season OJ, Rathbone and Woo did.   Rathbone moved up, Woo moved out..

Point is what we have might look tasty to other teams, and what we don't have makes us lusting after it sometimes.    We have a guy that other teams might think highly of and maybe we should still be too in Rathbone for sure, but also Woo (who's made lists since he was drafted and still does)....and we all know what happened to OJ. 

To me Faber/Schnieder would be that ask from us... and also agree we need a roster player back.    Carlo in Boston would be nice but won't happen.   They need Carlo.   LA has done a great job of re-tooling around their older core.  Feel that's probably what we should be doing now but around QHs, EP and Demko.    So enjoy these threads.    Good work as usual Janis!   For me i like the Hockey News draft and prospect rankings the most because they provide an aggregate ranking of ten pro scouts and experts.   Not the hockey writers so much but it does also give you some insight as well. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Jack Rathbone ranked 60 recently in The Hockey Writers ... he's moved up 20 spots since the start of the season - for any prospect all position.   Woo is also still getting on some lists too (around 80 to start the season - and last year 50th best D prospect by the hockey prophets).    He's a decent trade chip and or player maybe for us in the future himself.   Barron mid season ranking was 81... Nolan Foote 67...Faber 46. Schneider 42...Broberg 35... Edvinsson 25,   Clarke 13, Bryam 5.... the other guys i couldn't find so not really on the same radar as two of our very own guys the last year ....ok Grans 90...other guys to consider Vegas Cormier at 65... Ludqvist didn't make the cut ... at the start of the season OJ, Rathbone and Woo did.   Rathbone moved up, Woo moved out..

Point is what we have might look tasty to other teams, and what we don't have makes us lusting after it sometimes.    We have a guy that other teams might think highly of and maybe we should still be too in Rathbone for sure, but also Woo (who's made lists since he was drafted and still does)....and we all know what happened to OJ. 

To me Faber/Schnieder would be that ask from us... and also agree we need a roster player back.    Carlo in Boston would be nice but won't happen.   They need Carlo.   LA has done a great job of re-tooling around their older core.  Feel that's probably what we should be doing now but around QHs, EP and Demko.    So enjoy these threads.    Good work as usual Janis!   For me i like the Hockey News draft and prospect rankings the most because they provide an aggregate ranking of ten pro scouts and experts.   Not the hockey writers so much but it does also give you some insight as well. 

I think this whole process for me, was to stop myself from hyper-focusing on Schneider. Looking to see, what else was out there, and to in fact do just what you did, in seeing Rathbones numbers, and where he sits against others.

I seen the same lists. I wonder about Barron, as he was once ahead of Schneider, but has not progresses as quickly. He is known as a very good skater, who has decent skill and is projected to be a NHL Dman.  I do know Foote is slow a foot, and am not interested. I like Grans from what I have read, and being a 2nd round pick, may be cheaper to acquire.

Faber, I do not know as much about, but if comparing to Rathbone means anything, he should be nice to acquire also, I think once you get past there it becomes more difficult, as teams see those others as being a notch up and have ear marked them for their own team. Not to say they are untouchable, but once the teams see their prospects play up, and doing well, they are ear marked as hard to get.

I would not even consider Clarke, as he is Blue Chip and untouchable until he proves otherwise. He would be given a long leash by his drafting club.

I wonder if Matt Roy is available out of LA? I have heard good things about him and he does fit out Core and has a good cap hit. (although he is older) 

I sure love this time of year.......no rock unturned type of time.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@HighOnHockey

Do you want to take a whack at this?

Meh. Maybe I'll look into it more when I have some time, but all this talk of Braden Schneider is turning me off.

I'm a little unclear what we're doing here. Are we looking for a partner for Hughes still? Who would we be trading? Miller I presume? Trading Miller and getting back Schneider as the centerpiece would be extremely disappointing. I get that there would be additional pieces coming back as well, but we could do much better than that. Faber is easily a better prospect than Schneider. Grans, Barron and Helleson are all about he same quality as Schneider. All would be decent additions, but not ideal as the centerpiece of a Miller trade. Seriously doubt L.A. would move Brandt Clarke, but I wonder if the emergence of Sean Durzi might make Matt Roy available. Again, still not exactly the dream partner for Quinn Hughes, but would be more appealing that Schneider or most of the others. Of the player you mentioned, Faber is definitely the most intriguing and might even be attainable. But this is all just off the top of my head, I'll have to have a closer look later.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

@HighOnHockey

Do you want to take a whack at this?

I guess just to add to that, Brock Faber is one of the most under-rated prospects in hockey. Pleased to say I had him ranked way higher than consensus on my final list at 41, but a little embarrassed to say I had Schneider slightly ahead of him at 34.

But since then Schneider has done exactly as I expected - has been a coach's favorite, and an analytic nightmare. Plays big minutes in tough situations and gets shelled with corsi. I don't mean to be a hater. Players like this have a role and I always said I thought he would be a good defenseman if he is properly slotted as a 4-5 guy. Absolutely not the guy you want paired with Quinn Hughes. Hughes needs to spend less time in his own zone, not more.

Since the draft Faber has emerged as exactly the kind of guy I've been saying would be an ideal partner for Hughes. A guy like Toews, Weegar, Severson, etc. Excellent defensively, skates and moves the puck exceptionally well. Like those guys he's also going to need some time developing though. But in hindsight he should have gone early to mid 20s in that very stong 2020 draft. Schneider still should have gone early 30s.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1