The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators shopping Filip Forsberg

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So if we get his rights prior to free agency we can give him an 8.25x8 deal.  I would do that.  Give them MDP or a 4th.  Then trade Miller for a RHD and a 1st round pick and another prospect.  I'd keep Boeser to complete the top 6 and then revamp the 3rd line into a size and speed line.  Roy and Mikheyev fit the bill for size and speed.  Add Hague to the back and we are set.

Forsberg        Pettersson    Boeser

Kuzmenko     Horvat           Podkolzin

Mikheyev       Roy              Garland

Deslauriers   Lammikko     Highmore

Lazar

Hughes      Schneider

OEL           Myers

Hague       Schenn

Dermott     Burroughs

Rathbone

Demko    Martin

Cap works even adding Ferland's LTIR and the buyout and the bonus money...

If mgmt can pull that lineup off (and i'd love to see it) they'd be automatically the best front office we've ever had.

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, Provost said:

To be clear, they are shopping his rights.

A 3rd or later pick or B level prospect in order to get a chance at negotiating with him early and the ability to add an 8th year of term.

If we moved Miller and/or Boeser this would be an excellent target for signing.

That was speculation in February with Poile shooting it down as completely unfounded.  Nashville are still trying to extend Forsberg.  Being able to offer 8 years is their leverage to get him under contract before he hits UFA. 

Just last week he provided an update saying that they are still talking and it's disappointing that it wasn't done yet (- noted that he had said the same already 2 months ago) and that they just have to keep working to get it done.  He noted the 8 years while others can't.

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So if we get his rights prior to free agency we can give him an 8.25x8 deal.  I would do that.  Give them MDP or a 4th.  Then trade Miller for a RHD and a 1st round pick and another prospect.  I'd keep Boeser to complete the top 6 and then revamp the 3rd line into a size and speed line.  Roy and Mikheyev fit the bill for size and speed.  Add Hague to the back and we are set.

Lazar

Hughes      Schneider

OEL           Myers

Hague       Schenn

Dermott     Burroughs

Rathbone

Demko    Martin

Just some minor details missing on how we manage to get the rights for Roy, Mikheyev and Hague...

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lazar

Hughes      Schneider

OEL           Myers

Hague       Schenn

Dermott     Burroughs

Rathbone

Demko    Martin

Unless they changed it in the most recent CBA The player has to be with the team by the trade deadline in order to give him 8 years.  Right now only Nashville can give him 8 years. Any team acquiring  his rights is still restricted to 7 years. 

Edited by qwijibo

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Unless they changed it in the most recent CBA The player has to be with the team by the trade deadline in order to give him 8 years.  Acquiring his rights now does not allow you to give him a 8 year deal. 

That rule hasn't changed.  

The only change is that now players who are traded and under contract through the upcoming TDL, can already sign an 8 year extension with their new team without having to wait for the TDL.  For example, if Miller is traded, he can already sign an 8 year deal with his new team on 13 July without having to wait for the 2023 TDL.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Just some minor details missing on how we manage to get the rights for Roy, Mikheyev and Hague...

Mikheyev is a UFA and he has the same agent as Kuzmenko.  Roy and Hague we would have to do a deal with Vegas.  If we are trading Miller to the Rangers then we can flip some of those assets plus Hoglander to Vegas.  For example, Schneider, Chytil and a 1st for Miller.  I would then turn around and give Vegas Chytil and Hoglander and our 3rd round pick.  

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mikheyev is a UFA and he has the same agent as Kuzmenko.  Roy and Hague we would have to do a deal with Vegas.  If we are trading Miller to the Rangers then we can flip some of those assets plus Hoglander to Vegas.  For example, Schneider, Chytil and a 1st for Miller.  I would then turn around and give Vegas Chytil and Hoglander and our 3rd round pick.  

Forgot Mik was UFA now - can't believe he's 27 already.

Nice trade ideas but realistically neither of those trades will happen.

The value is pretty close on trade #1, but NYR apparently wouldn't trade Schneider for 2 post seasons of JT Miller, cannot see them trading Schneider for 1 post season of Miller (esp when they definitely do not have the cap space to extend him).

What makes you think that VGK would make such a lopsided deal in trade #2? Is it because they're in a cap crunch? There are many other teams that would pay significantly more for Roy and Hague's rights (probably in separate deals). More likely VGK clears cap (Martinez, Karlsson, Brossoit) and resigns Roy, Hague

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

Forgot Mik was UFA now - can't believe he's 27 already.

Nice trade ideas but realistically neither of those trades will happen.

The value is pretty close on trade #1, but NYR apparently wouldn't trade Schneider for 2 post seasons of JT Miller, cannot see them trading Schneider for 1 post season of Miller (esp when they definitely do not have the cap space to extend him).

What makes you think that VGK would make such a lopsided deal in trade #2? Is it because they're in a cap crunch? There are many other teams that would pay significantly more for Roy and Hague's rights (probably in separate deals). More likely VGK clears cap (Martinez, Karlsson, Brossoit) and resigns Roy, Hague

Yes you could be right.  Hague is being shopped right now.  But he has less trade value than Roy.  Karlsson has one of the worst contracts in the league, so it will be togh to move him.  Brossoit will be on LTIR so I don't think many teams will be interested.  Martinez is their best bet.  However, he may also have negative value.  Chytil replaces Roy as their 3C and they get a young Hoglander to play in their top 9 who is cheap. 

If someone offer sheets Roy or Hague they are only getting a 2nd round pick in return as compensation, so honestly as long as they are in a cap crunch I don't see them getting a much better deal.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

There are many other teams that would pay significantly more for Roy and Hague's rights (probably in separate deals). 

As @Elias Pettersson pointed out, teams can just offer sheet either guy for a second and get them. They're not going to pay much more than that.

Nobody's helping Vegas out of that hole they dug themselves, out of the kindness of their hearts ;) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes you could be right.  Hague is being shopped right now. 

Hague is not being "shopped". It has been reported that several teams have enquired about Hague because he is RFA and Vegas have little cap space. That is not being shopped.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Hague is not being "shopped". It has been reported that several teams have enquired about Hague because he is RFA and Vegas have little cap space. That is not being shopped.

Not outright saying he's being shopped but...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/golden_knights_may_look_to_shop_nic_hague/s1_16928_37637995

Golden Knights May Look to Shop Nic Hague

After a down 2021-22 season, the expectation from everyone in the Vegas Golden Knights organization is that they will once again contend for a Stanley Cup in 2022-23.

With the immense talent on their roster, there is plenty of reason to believe that could very well be the case. However, in order to round out their team, they will need to figure out a way to free up some cap space, something which they were severely lacking last season.

One player who hasn’t received a ton of discussion but could be on his way out of town is Nicolas Hague. The 23-year-old, who is currently a restricted free agent, has improved in each and every season since being selected in the second round (34th overall) by the Golden Knights in the 2017 draft.

In 52 games this past season, Hague scored four goals and 14 points while averaging a career high 18:40 in ice time. While by no means a finished product, he is still rounding out his game and has top four potential. Due to his improvements, he is without a doubt in line for a pay raise from his cap hit of $791,667 over the past three seasons, and the Golden Knights may very well not be able to keep him around.

Recently, it was reported by Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News that at least two teams in the Eastern Conference have expressed serious interest in Hague. While those teams remain anonymous, you can understand why they would be interested along with likely many others. Everyone is aware of the cap crunch the Golden Knights find themselves in, meaning they may be able to acquire the young defenceman for a relatively cheap price. With free agency set to begin in two weeks time, there will likely be plenty more speculation surrounding Hague in the near future.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

As @Elias Pettersson pointed out, teams can just offer sheet either guy for a second and get them. They're not going to pay much more than that.

Nobody's helping Vegas out of that hole they dug themselves, out of the kindness of their hearts ;) 

Teams are usually pretty reluctant to offer sheet players due to the future ramifications. It could happen but it is more likely that they are both signed by VGK prior to free agency thereby avoiding any offer sheet, or they are traded.

Just now, BigTramFan said:

Teams are usually pretty reluctant to offer sheet players due to the future ramifications. It could happen but it is more likely that they are both signed by VGK prior to free agency thereby avoiding any offer sheet, or they are traded.

I'm hoping to us, along with Roy ::D

Just now, BigTramFan said:

True.  But does Vegas really want to sign both guys while they are already in LTIR money and then hope that someone gives them market value in a trade or they hope they can clear cap space for them to be on the roster opening night?

Roy has arbitration rights.  I believe the deadline was today, reason they got the Boeser deal done today.  So I think Roy is going to arbitration.

4 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Seems like a long shot. If they HAVE to trade either of them it will more likely be to Eastern teams for at least a 2nd round pick each.

We can help them with their cap and offer a return as well :)

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  But does Vegas really want to sign both guys while they are already in LTIR money and then hope that someone gives them market value in a trade or they hope they can clear cap space for them to be on the roster opening night?

Roy has arbitration rights.  I believe the deadline was today, reason they got the Boeser deal done today.  So I think Roy is going to arbitration.

I think this is the order of preference for VGK:

1. Resign Roy, Hague and move out Martinez, Brossoit, Karlsson (they may already have some deals in the works to do something like this)

2. Trade Roy and/or Hague to Eastern teams for at least a 2nd round pick each, or for an NHL calibre player on a cheap contract each

3. Trade them to Central Division for more than they can get from Eastern teams

4. Trade them to Pacific division for much more than they can get from Central or Eastern teams

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

I think this is the order of preference for VGK:

1. Resign Roy, Hague and move out Martinez, Brossoit, Karlsson (they may already have some deals in the works to do something like this)

2. Trade Roy and/or Hague to Eastern teams for at least a 2nd round pick each, or for an NHL calibre player on a cheap contract each

3. Trade them to Central Division for more than they can get from Eastern teams

4. Trade them to Pacific division for much more than they can get from Central or Eastern teams

I’d happily give Vegas Höglander and a 2nd round pick for both Roy and Hague.